Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: How do I change the Newsletter Subscribe process?  (Read 6415 times)

TopWebNames

How do I change the Newsletter Subscribe process?
« on: August 24, 2013, 02:10:04 AM »
I'm working on setting up my first AbanteCart site. I just started to test the Newsletter Subscribe feature. I entered one of my other email addresses and clicked to "Subscribe". However, instead of getting a subscription confirmation page, and an email confirmation that I'm subscribed, the program takes me to a page that says: "Create Account"!  This is VERY wrong, and a super turn off for someone just wanting to receive my newsletters when I send them out! It also makes ME look bad, like I use deceptive processes to get people to create an account!

How do I change this VERY unacceptable process so that visitors DO NOT have to create an account to subscribe to my newsletters?

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: How do I change the Newsletter Subscribe process?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »
This is taking you to the page to create subscription newsletter account. Only email address and name if needed. This is not full account creation.

If words "CREATE ACCOUNT" make you confused, you can change it.   

If you look under the hood of AbanteCart, basic account is created for newsletter purpose.

I will think how to make it more clear in the future.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

TopWebNames

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 05:16:06 PM »
This is taking you to the page to create subscription newsletter account. Only email address and name if needed. This is not full account creation.

If words "CREATE ACCOUNT" make you confused, you can change it.   

If you look under the hood of AbanteCart, basic account is created for newsletter purpose.

I will think how to make it more clear in the future.

Yes, I can change "Create Account" to say something else, but the process STILL creates an "ACCOUNT" for them, even though they're ONLY a "newsletter subscriber".  This is what the next screen says:

"Your Account Has Been Created!
Congratulations! Your new account has been successfully created!
You can now take advantage of member priviledges to enhance your online shopping experience with us.
If you have ANY questions about the operation of this online shop, please email the store owner.
A confirmation has been sent to the provided email address."

This is a HUGE marketing mistake!  When people want to be on the mailing list to ONLY receive a newsletter, they usually DO NOT want to have "an account"... it's a real "turn off" and will make many potential subscribers NOT register for the newsletter, or NOT confirm their registration when they get the confirmation email, or CANCEL their "account" that they didn't want!

This should be changed to a one step process that puts them on a "Newsletter Subscriber" list ONLY!

PS:  "privileges" is spelled wrong :)  I will change it in my Language, but it needs to be changed/corrected in the program, too.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 09:48:43 PM »
Thank you for this comments. As I stated on my prior post, this will be addressed in the next release.
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

TopWebNames

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 03:35:50 AM »
Great. I'm looking forward to this being fixed.

About when might the next release be available?

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 08:10:31 AM »
Next release if in final works and we will start QA next week. I say first week of September we will have it out.

TopWebNames

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2013, 02:41:01 PM »
Next release if in final works and we will start QA next week. I say first week of September we will have it out.

That's soon.  Excellent.  And... good luck that all goes well!

TopWebNames

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 08:51:46 PM »
I'm finally finished reading and reviewing EVERY page of the Documentation / User Manual while setting up my first AbanteCart store shopping cart.  I just looked at the "Total Customers" Report. It WRONGLY lists my email address that I used to test the Newsletter Subscription process as being a "CUSTOMER"!  This email represents "a newsletter subscriber", and NOT a customer. This really needs to be changed because it's not only NOT correct, it's misleading.

A real "customer" is someone who has bought something.  They can also be a newsletter subscriber.  Someone who is ONLY a newsletter subscriber is NOT a "customer".  Further, if we allow someone to purchase from our store without registering, then they are a "customer", but NOT a registered "customer".

There needs to be at least these two classes of people:

1 - A customer.  They are someone who has purchased something.  A customer may, or may not be a newsletter subscriber.  They should be given the choice to subscribe to our newsletter, or not, during checkout.  The program should check to see if they are already a newsletter subscriber, and update their record.

2 -  A newsletter subscriber.  They are NOT a customer... yet.  They are a "potential" customer though.