Author Topic: images verstion  (Read 8531 times)

Offline ygalbrami

• View Profile
images verstion
« on: September 27, 2013, 07:22:59 PM »
hello
i have check my website storage
i have see that i have a lot of verstion of 1 file with differant sizes
this take a lot of storage, it's there any way to change that so i wil not have same image few times?
this will save space.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: images verstion
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 05:53:49 PM »
you see resized copies of image from resource directory. it was done for better performance (like a cache)
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline ygalbrami

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 06:21:29 PM »
I see this in image folder. And also I have a  resource folder
So I think I can delete the image folder because all my website is link to resource folder and not the image folder.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 03:18:36 PM »
yes you can. but when you ask any thumbnail it will appear again.
― Charles Dickens

Offline ygalbrami

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 03:29:53 PM »
i have try to delete the image/thumbnails
folder but after some time i see it again, why?

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:15:24 AM »
image as resource usually have a big size. But it not needed always to show on storefront(icons, preview etc). Abantecart makes thumbnails (resized copies of big images) to prevent resizing on every request to page. It's makes it once and then uses thumbnails instead big image.
― Charles Dickens

Offline 4thstar

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 05:58:27 PM »
Hello.
I hope my question also fits into this thread..

I have been trying out the cart on a couple of clients sites, one thing i just noticed is that i have just added a product and then uploaded a 4.11mb photo..
I see that the photo has had thumbnails created, the home page "Recently Added" section uses a smaller thumbnail so this is good..

But the main product page shows a smaller image that we can zoom into when the mouse is over it..
I see that this image is still 4.11mb in size and its located here :

/shop/resources/image/18/76/9.jpg

and its 4.11mb in size..

Is it possible to have the originally uploaded photo at 2736x3648 to be automatically rezized to 800x600 (or in this case 600x800) and then saved as /shop/resources/image/18/76/9.jpg

currently when the product page opens it needs to load a 4.11mb file and this cant be right?

Many thanks
Carl

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 08:56:02 AM »
I have doubts that shopping cart application should deal with formatting images on upload. AbateCart optimizes images for faster preview on storefront, but original uploaded images will stay in original size and format. Same is true for any other type of media.

You can use many different third party image formatting applications to prepare your images in the format you need, this is BEFORE you upload to AbateCart. 

If you think otherwise, please comment.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline 4thstar

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 11:14:28 AM »
Hello.
Thank you for taking the time to post a reply, thats great :)
I have worked with several cms systems and also ebay clones in the past, all if i remember have the ability to auto resize the image using imagemagik or GD Library.

here are my thoughts on this..

For me once i know that images are not auto resized i can run a batch convert and reduce the images here on my pc before i upload.Thats easy for me :)

My clients however know much less about how a pc works, its a streatch for them to even get the image off their camera onto a pc, let alone resize them before they upload.

I am a new user, but currently heres what i am seeing..

...........ok cant post external links???

the link above shows 2 images taken directly from a digital camera (total image size is over 8mb) and AbanteCart uses the full image but just shows it at a smaller size!!

The big drawback as i see it is that the Zoom feature on the product page acts differently depending on the size of the uploaded image..

for example an uploaded image of 800x600 will zoom in what seems to be a little..
an image of 3000x2000 appears to zoom in way to much..

so by auto resizing images after upload to a set size (set in admin) will also add a consistant zoom level.

for me i would like the option to say that the maximum width and maximum height of a product image should be for example 800x600 and set this in admin, then have the script resize(based on the longest side and keep aspect ratio) and re-save the image.

Theres also the file sizes, with 100+ images at full digital camera sizes (4mb each) page loading times, mobile devices with limited bandwidth using the original large file seems outdated :)

Talk soon
Kind Regards
Carl

Offline 4thstar

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 04:36:37 PM »
Just a quick update to the above post..
For me it was a concern that my client could upload 10 different images to a single product directly off their digital camera..

and on looking at how the page sets up the images and displays them with the zoom feature it looks like ..

10 images at about 4mb each would give a page download size of over 40mb (Am i right?)

So i have for the moment introduced a php file set called phpthumb so now when the product page loads a set of 800x800 images are created and cached to display the larger product images and also the zoomed image..

to me it seems like by doing this i have removed the problem with file sizes when displaying the photo..(the original image uploaded will always remain its original file size) but when displaying on a product page the cached image will be much smaller in file size..

this also makes all images look similar when zoomed into..

My thoughts on this though is that the admin user should have the ability to auto resize the original image after it has been uploaded..

Kind Regards
carl

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 04:40:32 PM by 4thstar »