Author Topic: SOLUTION FROM EXTENSION STORE - How to set 3 different flat rate tables  (Read 5709 times)

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
Greetings - we have our shipping set up by purchase amount as exhibited here:

$0.00 - $20.00 = $7.00

$20.01 - $50.00 = $12.00

$50.01 - $80.00 = $16.00

$80.01 - $120.00 = $22.00

We have three different flat rate tables similar to this one - - USPS Priority, Domestic 1st class and International priority

I'm not understanding how to set this up in AbanteCart - would appreciate any assistance please. 

All the best and thanks in advance
Ron
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 11:58:15 AM by buddahboy »
AbanteCart is one hell of a shopping cart.  Donate once in a while and keep the development plus support going.  --  That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

Offline Loreto

• View Profile
I don't know if there is another way, and I like to know, but you can use weight shipping for that, using the product weight as a fake reference.

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
Thank you very much Loreto.  I tried this but not able to quite get it right - - anyone else have any ideas? 

Appreciate the assistance very much. 

All the best,
Ron
AbanteCart is one hell of a shopping cart.  Donate once in a while and keep the development plus support going.  --  That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
This isn't a suggesting on how to set this up and I am not trying to change your store model,  but over the years I've done a lot of research on cart abandonment.  Too high of shipping costs is the second highest reason for cart abandonment. 

Here's a link to some statistics:

http://blog.rejoiner.com/2012/05/free-shipping-online-retail-sales/

When I first saw your rate schedule it struck my as being in reverse to the trends - Usually the higher the dollar purchase the lower the cost.  Now how this works out for me,  is we offer a flat rate that takes care of the base rate of the shipping (the first pound cost).   Then we add the additional poundage fees into the base cost of the items.  We sell lots of items that only weigh 1 pound,  so it's pretty easy for us to calculate.

Here's what I mean - Flat rate is 5.00, (that's equivalent to the first pound) Then we know that each additional pound costs another .68 on average, so we add .75 to our product pricing.  On average it works out. 

People purchase online for a variety of reasons,  but if they see a large shipping fee they are more likely to abandon the order.   On the other side,  if the total of their purchase is within what they deem okay,  they will continue.   It is a presentation problem to get a customer to purchase and still make your profit.
So if the item is 100.00 and the shipping is 20.00  they have a greater potential of not purchasing than if you price it at 115.00 and offer $5.00 shipping.  You still receive the same dollars,  and the customer thinks they have a "deal" on the freight.   

Anyway -  just some food for thought here.

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
Llegrand thank you for the info - - it makes a lot of sense for us to do something other than what we've done till now as I agree with you about abandonment of carts (thanks for the link too) - we're gonna think this one through and I think make some changes since what we do sell is not a problem of weight - the biggest hit we do take is international shipping - but our domestic shipping can certainly be made more attractive, I agree with you basically - makes sense.  We'll mull this one over tomorrow and run the numbers - - appreciate your input and your time very much, thanks. 

All the best,
Ron

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
Just an FYI - found this "Price Based Shipping" extension in the extension store and it's really reasonably priced and will solve my need nicely. 
Extension:

I am grateful for the feedback and intend to combine the extension and some wise suggestions for this. 

Thanks much and all the best,
Ron  8)