Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Forward past the category page to the product page  (Read 16463 times)

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
Forward past the category page to the product page
« on: November 18, 2013, 03:00:22 PM »
I have set up sub-categories under the main categories so that the drop down menu will show the other items.  However the intermediate page is not needed an takes the customer one more click to get to the product page...

I would like to be able to forward the sub-category to the product page directly...

Example.....main category is T-Shirts....sub-categories are Men's tees, Ladies Tees, Youth Tees, Toddler Tees,   etc.  So I made up a child category for each one under T-Shirts...then each child category has a product link to add to cart (this part I feel is confusing to a potential customer because it says add to cart...but it doesnt add to cart it just sends them to the product page where they can then add the item to cart......I have set up options that have to be chosen in order to go to cart...

Is there an easy way to do this?  I tried going through the webhosting cpanel and forwarding the one page to the other but it will not work this way...says it is an impossible direction that cannot be completed.

Thanks
David
Love is Real....All Else is Illusion

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: Forward past the category page to the product page
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »
Can you help understanding your question with screenshots or links?
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 08:31:36 PM »
Thank you for your response.  the best way would be to view my site that I am building...loveisreal-believe.com/store you will see the categories that we are developing just under the slider banner.  If you mouse over the categories (go to the T-Shirts tab) the drop down menu shows the child categories that I have set up (5 categories drop down) ...click on a child category (Ladies T-Shirts) You will see the picture with an add to cart button - page code(........./store/index.php?rt=product/category&path=67_65)   Now click on the child category and you go to the product page (.............../store/index.php?rt=product/product&path=67_65&product_id=112)

This is what I would like to do....I would like to be able to forward the child category (........./store/index.php?rt=product/category&path=67_65) direct to the product page (.............../store/index.php?rt=product/product&path=67_65&product_id=112)   

You can see how this would streamline the website, because the customer could 1) see the options in the drop down menu at the top of the page....and 2)go direct to the product page - by clicking on the child category - where they have to make the choices for size, color, design choice and amount....Also they would only encounter the add to cart button once.......it is confusing to get the add to cart button in the child category where they cannot make the choices....and it does not actually add to cart by clicking that button...it only sends them on to the product page....

I hope this is clear enough...please let me know if there is more I can describe to make it more clear

Thank you again for all your expert help...it is very much appreciated.

David  :)

Offline JHammond53

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 07:32:59 AM »
I understand what you are trying to do. Basically you want the dropdown link for Unisex/Men's T Shirts to go directly to the men's t-shirt product instead of the category page. So forth and so on for each corresponding T Shirt category. Correct?

If so, do you want this to apply to every product in your store? Or just the T Shirts?

I know how I would do it if it were my store, unfortunately I don't think its how others would do it. I'm not sure mine would be the most effective way. My way would involve modifying the category page to strip it of the title & list of products. Then I would just go into the admin side and edit the specific category and call in the product via an iFrame.

...archmetalsfl.com/index.php?rt=product/category&path=77_78
This is the page I am working on currently. If you go to any of the Porfolio categories those are all called in via an iFrame. Don't worry about the load time, it is due to my gallery crawling a folder for images and building the gallery so that if I want to add new photos I never have to modify code, I just upload into that specific folder and the gallery will automatically grab it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 07:50:14 AM by JHammond53 »

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
Thank you JH... for the post..I looked at your ramps page - nice pictures...

Yes you have it right...but it sounds a bit out of my league...I'm just a beginner with code....
Keep up the good work, your site looks like it will be very nice.  I would need a lot of coaching in order to do what you are suggesting..

David

Offline JHammond53

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 03:31:38 PM »
If abantecart gives the nod to this being an efficient solution I would be glad to do the code for you (shouldn't take more than 15-30 mins). It seems one risk to changing code is when updating the cart to the newest release it may replace some of the files we modify. Easiest solution is to always back up the files that you are changing (both original & modified).

I am still learning the structure of this cart so abantecart may have an easier/much less intrusive solution.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 03:35:30 PM by JHammond53 »

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:16:36 PM »
JH,      Thank you for the offer.  I would appreciate any Help...Let's see if any easier solutions come up.

David

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 08:41:35 PM »
If abantecart gives the nod to this being an efficient solution I would be glad to do the code for you (shouldn't take more than 15-30 mins). It seems one risk to changing code is when updating the cart to the newest release it may replace some of the files we modify. Easiest solution is to always back up the files that you are changing (both original & modified).

To avoid issues with upgrade
1. You can post us your solution and we can include it in the release. (You can use github for this)
2. You can create a simple extension with replace or hook to controller/template
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 11:17:04 PM »
I like the idea of a 'simple extension with replace or hook to controller/template'...
If JHammond53 or others would be interested in making that extension that would be great...A little beyond me yet.

I would appreciate an update if this comes available...

Thanks,
David

Offline mesm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 10:06:27 AM »

Is there a ready solution for this, me too I need?

gordontaylor

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 12:35:05 PM »
Not yet, no ready solution...but it's being worked on.

gordontaylor

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 12:38:11 PM »

To avoid issues with upgrade
1. You can post us your solution and we can include it in the release. (You can use github for this)
2. You can create a simple extension with replace or hook to controller/template

I too am trying to avoid any custom php work, although I've done a little. When we upgrade to 1.1.8 all your files will be replaced and you'll lose all that custom work.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 09:19:07 AM »
Problem with updates of customized code has existed since web applications came to existence. :)
I am sure we can find solution one day, but for now the way to customize and be safe, is to create an extension.

I had an idea of automatic code comparison on update with easy to read report. This will require some work and we will see if we can get it done one day.

gordontaylor

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 10:42:11 AM »
Thanks and I totally understand why. You'd have to import the custom code into the installer, then re-install it. After all, it is source code one is changing. When you install the new source code, it overwrites the old files, and thus the customization is lost.

Keep up the good work, this cart is awesome!

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
Hi,
Glad to hear you are all working on this...Again keep up the good work. I'll be waiting to hear of solutions.