Author Topic: Copy default_html5 template to customise  (Read 4821 times)

Offline calbashmc

• View Profile
Copy default_html5 template to customise
« on: December 03, 2013, 09:43:55 PM »
Hi

I'd like to modify mainly css for the default_html5 template.  I'd like to first copy this template to a new template and make the mods in the copy.  This way if I screw things up (very likely) I can just switch back to the default, make another copy and try again.
I installed the developer extension as I thought it would help me do this.  I did make a template using it and it made a copy but things aren't quite right.  for example blocks have their title displaying even though in admin it shows they are turned off.

Also I see when I use the developer extension it creates the new template under extensions folder where the original default_html template is under storefront/view
Can I just copy default_html5 to another folder under storefront/view (named something like my_template) and be ale to use it?
You may have gathered I am not a developer so this is probably a stupid question.  I do know how to inspect elements and mess with css though which is what I'm trying to do with my 'new' template.
I hope I'm making sense as to what I'm trying to do! Any guidance appreciated.

Offline calbashmc

• View Profile
Re: Copy default_html5 template to customise
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 07:11:35 PM »
Hi Barasa

Thanks for the information but as I already stated in my orignal post I have already installed the develop tools and made a copy of the template using it but it doesn't seem to work properly.  I can user the template but blocks have their title displaying even though in admin it shows they are turned off.  Plus alignment of elements seems to be out compared to the original. 
I guess the developer tool is still under development so perhaps I'll just need to wait.  My concern is that I am making a heap of changes to the default_html5 template css which may be broken next time abantecart is upgraded.