Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: another try on multistore setup  (Read 16129 times)

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
another try on multistore setup
« on: December 06, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »
I am trying the multistore setup again-  I have re-read all the post I can find,  all the documentation on it.  And tried my very best to follow the directions, at least as I understand them.   I did not have success this time either.

Here in detail is what I have done today.

Shop.mydomain.net   is the master (default) store
Demo. mydomain.net  (multistore#1) 
This is found – DNS is established Store Status set to ON
Store Name – Demo Store
Name Alias – left blank
Store URL  http://demo. mydomain.net/
Copy settings – used default selection . Got a Success message.
In cPanel added this :
demo.mystore.net/ redirects to http://shop.mydomain.net/
And it does exactly that - redirect to shop.mydomain.net.  Not what I want to see.
The .htaccess that was created during the process says this:

RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^demo\. mydomain \.net$ [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.demo\. mydomain \.net$
RewriteRule ^/?$ "http\:\/\/shop\. mydomain \.net\/" [R=301,L]
So what do I change, and where to get the Demo Store to show up?
Please be precise - in where I need to make a change?  And what the change needs to be?
My sense says it's the redirect - but I followed the isntructions as I understood them.  Or perhaps the .htaccess needs some correction or addition. 
Thanks for helping.  I know there are several others out there that need better instructions as I have gotten PMs as to rather I have succeeded.
Lee

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: another try on multistore setup
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 05:37:46 PM »
You do not need to do any redirects in .htaccess
This will cause issues.

I think this was explained earlier in some posts about steps to set up multistore:

1. Point all needed  domains/subdomains DNS to same apache server.
2. Configure Apache virtual host to access same abantecart directory for all domains you configure for multistore.
3. Setup stores in admin of AbanteCart

These are the steps.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:05:52 PM »
Well,  I didn't write anything into the htaccess file.  That was what as added when I set up the multistore.

So do I just remove all those entries in the htaccess file?

Prior to executing the CreateStore action in the master cart -  there were NO files in the demo directory.
the .htaccess file as created and contents were as a result of the CreateStore request within the system.
There were no changes made by me to that file.

I deleted the store.  I double checked that the demo folder had no files.
The redirects are as shown in the attachment.
I executed the Create Store again.

I have exactly the same results.  Including the .htaccess file with the same rewrite.  These are being added and written by the process of CreateStore. 

This is version 1.1.7 and I have not made any changes to the code. 

So do I just remove all those redirects?  If so you've an issue with how CreateStore sets up.

Thanks for hanging in here until there is success.
Lee

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 01:50:06 PM »
Still trying to get this to work.

I deleted the .htaccess file within the demo store (the added store),  which doesn't work as that is written by the system with I put the redirect in.  If I delete that file,  the redirect is removed.

I still have demo store redirecting to the location of the master store.   These are all on the same domain,  both setup as subdomains.  Both have the same DNS settings.

Demo store shows up in the store lists, as it should.

BUT when I use the url.  demo.mydomain.com   it goes to shop.mydomain.com   (which is what the redirect tells it to do per my understanding of the instructions)

I want the Demo store  (multistore)  to show the demo store url.  Is this some function of cURL or something like that?

This should be a must easier process -  Please keep at it here until it is demonstrated to work.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 01:57:46 PM by llegrand »

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 12:09:36 AM »
Abantecart, I am following this thread in order to set this up as well.

I believe the question that needs classified is step #2
Configure Apache virtual host to access same abantecart directory for all domains you configure for multi store....can you explain step 2 in detail?  I believe this is the point that is the problem.

Thank you,
Great help as always
David

Love is Real....All Else is Illusion

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 01:50:13 AM »
Abantecart, I am following this thread in order to set this up as well.

I believe the question that needs classified is step #2
Configure Apache virtual host to access same abantecart directory for all domains you configure for multi store....can you explain step 2 in detail?  I believe this is the point that is the problem.

Thank you,
Great help as always
David

Hello. Please read this doc with small example for Cpanel
If you have problems to configure your dns/domains or subdomains please contact with your hosting provider.

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 12:00:13 PM »
abantecart,

Thank you for your response....the part I have particular interest in is the following item:

• make sure to link the subdomain to the path where the default store was installed to

I have abantecart installed in the folder....mydomain.com/store   store being the renamed file for abantecart....  my webhosting does not know what to tell me as to where to put the 'newstore' because that is based on how abantecart is configured....

Here is my question..In C-panel my files look like this:      public_html/Mydomain.com/store   
    Now I set up a new store...called it newstore.mydomain.com.....cpanel asks what is the document root for the new subdomain...
        Does the document root need to be......       public_html/mydomain.com/store/       
        see below the abantecart files are located under store, along with the new file for newstore

store/   
       admin   

core   

download   

extensions   

newstore   

resources   

static_pages   

storefront   

system
now if I read correctly this should work because 'newstore' is located under the /store file path
       in another post you said that you do not need to copy the abantecart files to the newstore location?  Correct?

I hope this question is clear...because it sounds like the problem we are having is due to location of the file for the new store?
However I have tried this and still does not work???
I will try do deep clean of my computer then see if it works...
David

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: FINALLY- success!! another try on multistore setup
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2013, 05:26:40 PM »
Ok,  I finally got it figured out. 

In the documentation - for those of us who don't do this a lot, I find some of the instructions in the documentation too brief.  Here's what it says in the documentation.
• make sure to link the subdomain to the path where the default store was installed to
• make sure there is no redirection setup for new subdomain/domain
Here's where my deficient knowledge failed - "link to the subdomain path" is not within my core knowledge. 

Please consider adding a bit more in the documentation - perhaps a screen shot of cPanel, like the one I am attaching as I think lots of people have cPanel with their hosts.   Or at least adding the Document Root into the line - so that it reads

• Make sure the Document Root is the same in the default store and the multistore.

If I had seen Document Root in the instructions of any of your replies I would have seen the area within my subdomain screens and days, and multiple posts of frustration could have been avoided by all of us.  Please keep in mind that those who write instructions manual know a lot more than those of use who read them.  So the more details,  the better user results will be.

So as soon as I removed the redirect AND set the Document Root to be the same -  it works as advertised.

Sorry I was so dense,  but we're there now.

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »
Thanks Lee,

I got it now too...I tried setting up 2 other stores to test it.  One under the same domain with a subdomain and the second one under another domain in my same hosting account...and both worked perfectly as long as the 'document root' was exactly the same as the default store location. 

Thanks  again for the perseverance to see it through. 

I want to say that Lee's input made it very clear...so Please add this to the instructions to help others!

David

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2013, 09:01:59 PM »
Thank you for this document. It does help to clarify for many users.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline ARESIUM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2017, 05:10:59 PM »
I am new to AbanteCart and trying the feature of multi-store by following instructions. Due to troubleshooting, I've checked the database but couldn't see any inputs from the table_settings.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 04:50:12 AM »
I am new to AbanteCart and trying the feature of multi-store by following instructions. Due to troubleshooting, I've checked the database but couldn't see any inputs from the table_settings.

Hello. To create multistore you don't need to edit database. If you already setup subdomain in you hosting cPanel , create new store in AbanteCart admin > System > Settings > Create new store.
http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/settings/stores.html

Offline JBGlobal

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 08:26:56 AM »
I just want to say!
This is a great project and it is growing on me thus far! what I really want to know when it to the multi store feature; is the following structure possible?

Main Site: Domain.com/Store
Site2: domain.com/store/clothes
site3: domain.com/store/shoes
site4: domain.com/store/gifts

Everywhere I look, either in the KB or forum thus far references the use sub-domain. I have definitely tested that feature and it works like a charm but if there is a way to make the above work, I would love to know it.

Again great job on this project.

JB

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 08:53:47 AM »
No you can't do multistore like that.  Your example is using sub FOLDERS.   Multistore can only be a subDOMAIN or a different domain name.

Here's the currecnt docs on multistore:
http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/settings/stores.html

subdomains are easy to set up within you cPanel  so your url would look like this:

Site2: clothes.domain.com/store
Site3: shoes.domain.com/store
Site4: gifts.domain.com/store

However,  if these are the items you are wanting to organize -  perhaps using the categories for clothes, shoes, and gifts would work .

here''s the docs for that:
http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/catalog/categories/search.html

Offline JBGlobal

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2017, 02:03:50 PM »
Thank you very much!! - that surely does help.