Author Topic: How does "Discount" work ?  (Read 5269 times)

Offline cookie

• View Profile
How does "Discount" work ?
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:56:53 PM »
Hi,

Anyone helping me understand how does "Discount" work !??!

Is it a fix amount only or could be also applied as % ?
What about products with options? Does a discount apply to final price (say I have a starting price of zero and final price is given by options and options combinations only or ?!?!

THX

PS: Yes, I read the docu .. it does not clarify the issue

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: How does "Discount" work ?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 09:21:53 PM »
Discount is applied on product subtotal including option price

If you use coupons you can apply % on the transaction.

Not sure if you looked at below manuals:
http://www.abantecart.com/ecommerce-documentation/38-admin-user-manual/sales-menu/coupons
http://www.abantecart.com/ecommerce-documentation/31-admin-user-manual/catalog-menu/products#Promotions%20Tab

Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 09:50:42 PM »
For product discount you can set up discount based on quantity selected. You need to set up minimum qtty for discount to apply and product price in this case. There is no % discount here.

Also you can set up special price discount on product in general, without connection to quantity. You set up final price here. Not %
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2014, 10:22:14 PM »
Cookie,
Here's an abantecart site (not mine) that has discounts set up - this is a link to one of the items - if you change the quantity order you will see how the pricing changes, and carries over to the order page.
http://wholehealthbeautystore.com/natural_body_defense-anti_inflammatory

Lee

Offline cookie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:27:26 AM »
Thank you all for your feedback!

I did not look at coupons for this particular issue but yes, I've read the other documentation and it said nothing about options and products with options.

Conclusion: it is actually NOT possible to apply a discount on a product build out of priced options only, even for the simple reason that one cannot know the final price in advance as it depends on the kind and amount of options chosen by the customer. And as long as I do not know the final product price it's not possible to decide in advance about a certain fix amount to be applied as a discount.

It remains the workaround with the coupons which in certain situations only could be a solution.