Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: How to make look good on mobile phones, tabs, etc- fallback image?  (Read 9132 times)

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
Hi,
I am moving now to making the website work on mobile phones, tablets, and other devices.
Using HTML5 Template version 1.1.7 I see I have instead of the banner slider it goes to fallback image.  I can of course make my own picture and name it the same as the fallback image, and upload that file...but can you tell me where is the controller for this fallback showing up on the different screen resolutions?  I did not see an obvious way to edit this for layout on cellphones, ipads, etc.

I would appreciate any help in how to optimize for cell phone, ipad, etc use.
Love is Real....All Else is Illusion

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: How to make look good on mobile phones, tabs, etc- fallback image?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Hi David,

Did you see this earlier response?

http://forum.abantecart.com/index.php/topic,870.msg3281.html#msg3281

Seems like it is just upload an image of your choice to the file?!  Perhaps, they will make an improvement in the near future, as that would seem to make sense in order for everyone to know it needed to be done.

Abantecart - perhaps you could at the least add a note to the Banner Manager edit page - that notifies that a static image is needed for small screen displays and where it needs to go.  Maybe a way to upload an alternate image to the file location at the same time would be nice enhancement.

Lee
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 04:58:25 PM by llegrand »

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 08:51:01 PM »
Lee,
Thanks for showing me that link.  Yes, that is basically what I had figured out...which I had to find by right clicking on the picture and copy image url...that way I found the location of the file....I agree that there should be a note reminding folks that this needs to be done.  I'm sure that most of us would not want the stock fallback image on our website...we would want something that we had put in ourselves.  I hope Abantecart will take note of this and add a note where we are working on the banners.

Great idea Lee.
Thanks again for your help

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
Re: Part #2 How to look good mobile phones, ipads, etc - check out problem
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 08:59:59 PM »
OK, so this brings me to part two of how to make cart work on mobile phones...etc.

what I have found is that on my android phone...kyocera hydro...everything works pretty well except one thing

when you go to make selection of the options for my store items...on android...you have to uncheck the preselected choice or it leaves each box you select checked until you click again to uncheck it...this will work if people think to do this...
...My friend has i-phone...on there he doesn't seem to be able to make a selection at all...

I would appreciate if you all would try my site on your android and i-phones and let me know how it is working for you...as I want to be able to bring in all the cell phone users to my site as well

Much appreciated.  Also any other ideas...as the abantecart is advertised as working on all devices, I would like to hear from abantecart to see if there is a solution for this problem.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 09:25:46 PM »
Ok, all you cart users that might want to test - and perhaps don't know that David's link is under his cart name,  here it is:

http://loveisreal-believe.com/

This is a good catch David,  I hadn't tested on the options to see if they worked.  I'll test and report back.

Lee

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 05:13:03 PM »
I tested this on my android phone and my Kindle (android also)  I have the same results you reported on both devices. The first option is automatically checked, and requires a click to turn it off.

It would be nicer if there wasn't a preselection made.

Also,  I noticed when I did make a selection when one returns,  that choice is removed from the option box leaving a blank in it's place.
example  first item - small, blue
When returning to the same item to make another option selection    like medium, blue  the small and blue just have blanks in the lists, leading one to think the blue isn't available.  If one clicks on the option box -  all the choices show up.

Would be better if all the options continued to show up every time the product page is shown.

Lee

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 02:24:15 AM »
Lee,
Thanks for showing me that link.  Yes, that is basically what I had figured out...which I had to find by right clicking on the picture and copy image url...that way I found the location of the file....I agree that there should be a note reminding folks that this needs to be done.  I'm sure that most of us would not want the stock fallback image on our website...we would want something that we had put in ourselves.  I hope Abantecart will take note of this and add a note where we are working on the banners.

Great idea Lee.
Thanks again for your help

Hello. Just for your info in AbanteCart 1.1.8 added ability to edit 'fallback image' in the Baner Manager. Hope release will be very soon

gordontaylor

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 10:08:52 AM »
You can also go into your hosting control panel and follow this path File Manager>Storefront>View>default_html5>image>banner_fallback.jpg

Rename that image to banner_fallback_old.jpg, just in case you mess up the new image.

Simply create a new fall back image and use your CP to upload the new image. Make sure you name it banner_fallback.jpg

The fall back image size is 940px wide by 351px high. Just make sure your new image is of the size you want it to fall back to.

For most phones no more than 400px wide should work.

You can check it here http://mattkersley.com/responsive/ it is a great resource for checking sizes. You can select width or even phones...it has simulators for most phones.

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »
Lee, Basara, Gordon,
Thanks for the responses on this issue...the additional detail on how to get to the fallback image location will be helpful to others I'm sure.
I am most interested on how to make the cart work for all applications as I'm sure all at abantecart would like to see.

One of the reasons that I went with abantecart was that it advertised to work on all screen resolutions... So what can we do to fix these problems, particularly with the apple applications....seems it is not really working at all to make an order....That is the point isn't it?  To sell some of our products!!

gordontaylor

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 08:44:24 PM »
Mobile, especially Apple, continues to be an issue and one that we need to address for sure. Mobile is the future, there is no getting away from that. We'll continue to develop work-arounds until all is good!

I'll let you know what I come up with, I have a few ideas.