Author Topic: Some Facebook SEO tricks  (Read 16088 times)

gordontaylor

Some Facebook SEO tricks
« on: January 23, 2014, 10:53:47 PM »
If you want your website to rank with the Facebook Search Engine it's a good idea to use OG tags or Open Graph Protocol

Supposedly this is only to get better rankings with the FB SE, but I've found it helps tremendously with Bing and Yahoo...Google not so much.

Here is an example I always include in my <head></head> section.

<meta property="og:type" content="We have the best apples in town."/> (this can be any description of your website)
   <meta property="og:url" content="http://yourwebsite.com/"/>
   <meta property="og:image" content="http://yourwebsite.com/storefront/view/default_html5/image/hollisterlogo.png"/>   (any image in your directory will work here)

There are several other OG properties that can be used, I have not yet experimented with them.

<meta property> will validate in HTML4 Validator if you use the XHTML+RDFa dropdown.

Presently it will NOT validate with the HTML5 validator, but then HTML5 is not finalized yet. In fact, the HTML5 validator is still experimental and at present does not support the RDFa suffix.

So if you need to validate your cart for a customer via one of the w3c validators it won't validate. You have the option of explaining that to your customer or leaving it out.

The issue is the term <meta property> instead of <meta name> . <meta property> is not valid HTML,  but we all know Facebook rows their boat the way the see fit!

What? You didn't know FB had a Search Engine! If you're using FB social media buttons on your website, you want to be known to them! Every time someone hits the like button on your website the FB SE bot visits your website 3 to 5 times!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 11:11:24 PM by gordontaylor »

Offline DavidLIR

• View Profile
    • Love is Real
Re: Some Facebook SEO tricks
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 03:40:39 PM »
Gordon,

Sorry for my ignorance, but can you explain what you mean when you say:

Here is an example I always include in my <head></head> section.

Where on the website would I enter these?

Thank you,\
David

Love is Real....All Else is Illusion

gordontaylor

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 03:51:45 PM »
Sure David, it's in the Head.tpl ... NOT the header.tpl

Offline Ollie

• View Profile
    • Assistech
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 05:28:13 PM »
Sure David, it's in the Head.tpl ... NOT the header.tpl

Hi Gordon. I added the og tags in the head.tpl, but they didn't do what they were supposed to do on Facebook. FB is still showing the default image instead of the og:image.
Assistive technologies for people with special needs:
https://assistech.com/store/

Offline Gordon Taylor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Natural Handcrafted Soaps
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 08:12:54 PM »
This post is very old, I'm sure FB has changed it's parameters by now. I'll lock this topic.