Author Topic: Reviews vizibility  (Read 5002 times)

Offline Skills

• View Profile
Reviews vizibility
« on: January 31, 2014, 07:49:18 AM »
Hi,

As i inspected the source of a product page, i've noticed that the reviews ( comments, stars given, the name of the reviewer, date of the review ) are not visible. I want that those informations to be visible to the search engines because i need to configure rich snippets for my products. Please advice. Thank you.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: Reviews vizibility
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 02:43:26 PM »
If you think this information is important, it can be added in the controller

Check template:
storefront/view/default_html5/template/pages/product/product.tpl

Code: [Select]
<?php if ($review_status) { ?>
<li><a href="#review"><?php echo $tab_review?></a></li>
<?php ?>

and controller for this template:
storefront/controller/pages/product/product.php
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline Skills

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 12:36:04 PM »
Thank you for your response, but if you could be more specific... The code that you provided were exactly in product.php should be integrated to make the comments active ? Should be instead of something or just put it anywhere ? Thank you for your patience.

Offline Skills

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 04:10:23 PM »
Somebody ? It has been over two weeks, i am sorry if i am pressing you but this is very important to me and since you are the developers of this cart i think you are the most prepared to answer at this. Thank you.

gordontaylor

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 07:54:03 PM »
@skills...as a pretty good expert on SEO, even though the reviews are not visible unless that tab is clicked, I assure you that the Robot follows that link and collects that data anyway. That tab is just a link and like any link, all are followed by the robots.

Check out the SEO thread, http://forum.abantecart.com/index.php/board,35.0.html for some other tips and tricks. You can do a lot with SEO in the head section and it's never seen by the page viewing public.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:55:40 PM by gordontaylor »

Offline Skills

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 07:20:01 AM »
Thank you for your answer gordontaylor, but if could explain to me something...

If you leave a comment on a product, that review it does not appear in the source of the page ( in the HTML language ). So... how could a Google Spider crawl that comment if it doesn't exist ? A robot doesn't crawl what users see on your website, but what he can reads...That's my opinion and i don't consider myself a SEO EXPERT.

The reviews on AbanteCart can be moderated, so any mark of spam and unnecessary links can be removed, there vizibility are very important from my point of view because i need to set rich snippets for my products and i need that information to. Beside that, a text from a review means fresh content for that page, so is good for SEO.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 07:25:56 AM by Skills »

gordontaylor

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 09:30:43 AM »
You are absolutely right on the fresh content being good for rankings, especially Google. But, I can assure you that it does indeed crawl every entry. It in fact crawls your DATABASE as there are many pointer to it in the php script! The database is where your product info is stored, including the entire text of any comments left on your website.

You thinking is valid, if you were talking about a pure HTML website, there are hard links to pages that exist on the server as viewable HTML. But, with php all the entries are stored in the DB and that is where the spider finds the info!