Author Topic: Showing related products down left hand side of product page  (Read 8235 times)

Offline probi

• View Profile
Showing related products down left hand side of product page
« on: February 02, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »
Hi,

I would like to show the related products on the left hand side of the products page where you can currently show featured products or new products etc.

Would anyone have any advise how I can achieve this?

Thanks

gordontaylor

Re: Showing related products down left hand side of product page
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 01:20:41 PM »
Related products only show on the product page, WHEN you add a related product on the product edit page.

It then shows in the tabbed section below your product.

In order to get it to show up on the left side of the product page, you'll need to create a new block called related. It is NOT a default block, because it's already in the tabbed section.

Some screen shots below to show you what I mean...

I will reply in a second reply with the steps to add that block...the forum limits us to 4 images per post.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:40:17 PM by gordontaylor »

gordontaylor

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 01:39:48 PM »
In order to create a block for related product, go to layout and choose the page (s) that you want the block to appear on.

Then follow the three steps in the images below to create the new block to use on the left hand side. You'll only need to create the block once, but you'll still need to select it in the layouts section for each page you want it to appear on.

Follow those steps, make sure you save it and now you'll have a related choice in the left column to choose.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 01:48:12 PM by gordontaylor »

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 01:31:03 AM »
In order to create a block for related product, go to layout and choose the page (s) that you want the block to appear on.

Then follow the three steps in the images below to create the new block to use on the left hand side. You'll only need to create the block once, but you'll still need to select it in the layouts section for each page you want it to appear on.

Follow those steps, make sure you save it and now you'll have a related choice in the left column to choose.

Hello, gordontaylor. Are You sure that your solution work? It is not work for me.
In the last screen you select Listing Data Source  Media. But I think you need to select Listing Data Source Custom Products then select some products and enable this block only for some product layout . This will simulate Related Products only for product where you enable this block.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 01:33:16 AM by Basara »

gordontaylor

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 08:58:39 AM »
I worked for me...I'm just sayin'

Offline probi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 02:12:18 PM »
Hi gordontaylor,

Thank's very much for your very detailed reply! I copied what you said but it doesn't seem to list any images.

Just wondering how using this method the software knows what images I am after?

Thanks again

Dan

gordontaylor

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2014, 02:31:24 PM »
Try using Custom Products as the listing source, it's more reliable. I may have been a little hasty in my reply, as I have customized the code.

Offline probi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2014, 05:24:09 PM »
Thanks,

Only problem with doing it that way is that you would have to manually select the related products for all other products.

I may have to see if I can get my head round creating a modification to allow a block to be created and show this.

Thanks again for your help.

gordontaylor

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »
Yep, you must add manually...not a big issue. Also check setting to see how many it's set to allow in that block. That is also controlled.

You can write a new HTML block, I've done a few, pretty routine.