Author Topic: Configure download expire days  (Read 6428 times)

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
Configure download expire days
« on: March 07, 2014, 06:13:40 PM »
Greetings - I'm filling out the "expire days" field for a download with the number 4 - after saving it shows "0000-00-00 00:00:00"  -  how do I set this to 4 days please.  Could not find answer in forum nor in documentation. 

Thanks much
Ron
AbanteCart is one hell of a shopping cart.  Donate once in a while and keep the development plus support going.  --  That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: Configure download expire days
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 07:06:45 PM »
http://www.abantecart.com/ecommerce-documentation/33-admin-user-manual/catalog-menu/downloads

Ron watch the video at the very bottom of the page on the link above  all the way thru to the account downloads page-  I believe your 4 is correct and it shows on the download page the count that is remaining in the the format you are seeing.

Least that's what the video show.
Lee

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 07:51:54 PM »
Hi Lee - I saw that, thanks.  I put in the number 4 in that blank field and it shows as 4 until I save - after save it goes to 0000-00-00 00:00:00 instead of 4

Scratching my head here, LOL

Thanks again
Ron
AbanteCart is one hell of a shopping cart.  Donate once in a while and keep the development plus support going.  --  That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

gordontaylor

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 11:03:57 PM »
Hmmm, we're about to get into the download thing...I'll see what I can resolve with it

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 11:09:57 PM »
Hey Gordon - Lee says "I just looked in the database and the format for the field is that zero one" - I'll try something along those lines and report back. 

Good ta hear from you

gordontaylor

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 11:12:00 PM »
Hey Ron,

IMHO, I think it sets a count UP register for the number of days you set in that field, and of course it would start at all zero's.

I would have programmed a count down register, but that is harder to configure...

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 11:23:05 PM »
It is a standard feature and there should absolutely NOT be any for that - - in all other carts I've used it is simply a fact of putting in the number of days that the customer can have access to the download - it's a very simple thing - I have never ever seen a format like that -- 0000-00-00 00:00:00 represents year, day, month, hours, minutes, seconds -- it seems rather insane to me.  I've used CubeCart, Zen Cart, osCommerce, Virtuemart -- all of them is a simple number of days and a count DOWN - how can I input all that data when I have no idea what the variables are. 

This issue and the fact that downloads mixed with tangible goods in the same order are charged shipping are the biggest negatives (for me anyway) for an otherwise excellent cart.  I was really hoping to hear from one of the staff on this as one would think it is a rather standard thing, no? 

Anyway, we'll what happens eventually. 

Will let you know if this gets resolved but it is really not right at all.  Now don't get me wrong, I really like AbanteCart a whole lot but sometimes you run into silly things like this and it just gets frustrating - especially after hours of trying to figure it out. 

All the best
Ron

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 11:27:41 PM »
Documentation says:  Expire days: Count of days from date of purchase.

This field is initially blank - when a number is input (I want to use 4) and then the data that input on that page is saved it then goes to 0000-00-00 00:00:00 which means nothing to me, does not confirm that the system understands that the customer can download for a period of 4 days.  Hope that is more clear. 

Ron

gordontaylor

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 11:32:51 PM »
I hear ya bro...and I totally understand what you're saying. I'm about to get into configuring downloads...let you know more when I play with it some...

I watched the video and it shows what you're experiencing ... which is confusing at best.

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 11:47:00 PM »
I have a script from http://idevspot.com/ which is a digital download script - I'm thinking of putting up a site dedicated to downloads as we're going in that direction and are outside of PDF ebooks getting into ePub and Kindle downloads and AC doesn't really play well with downloads - it's fine with tangible goods, even excellent; but, downloads ... not so much.  I'm gonna start on the additional site tomorrow anyway and see what happens with redirecting all the interest in downloads to that site for purchase - OR I just may put up that script in a sub folder and have the menu items go to the script through AC menu, or ... there are many different ways of doing it, I gotta play with it tomorrow. 

I'll keep you posted about this though

Ron

gordontaylor

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »
Good deal Ron, thanks...keep me posted for sure.