Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: 404 error when using shared SSL  (Read 8895 times)

Offline Siri M.

• View Profile
404 error when using shared SSL
« on: March 20, 2014, 05:05:35 AM »
Hi. I installed a second Abantecart on my server under another domain. Everything is working fine except that I cannot use my shared SSL on pages such as Login, Checkout, etc. I get the 404 error page "The server can not find the requested page;" with the very long URL of random letters. I didn't have this problem with the other installation, which I have already deleted. The SEO URL rewrite is working fine. I have also cleared the browser cookies, etc., but still no go. I then turn off the SSL and everything works fine. Nothing in the error log either.

I'm on Arvixe, and they are Abantecart friendly. Like I said, the first installation I deleted worked perfectly.

Any suggestions? Is there something that needs to be cleared in my server directory? I have hunted around the forum and internet, but can't seem to find the answer to this particular problem.

Thanks.

gordontaylor

Re: 404 error when using shared SSL
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 11:16:46 AM »
have your hosting company install the SSL on the new domain name...and consider using a separate SSL, RapicSSL is usually less than 10 bucks.
Shared SSL's are notorious for being a problem.

Offline Siri M.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »
The host made a change in the SSL link address and says the SSL is now pointed at the domain, but now the secure links don't work at all. When you mouse over Login or Register Account another secure link there is no URL now. When you click nothing at all happens, not even a 404 error. But everything works fine when I turn off the SSL option.

I cleared browser caches, etc. Still the same.

I would like to at least straighten this out before I attempt to get a private SSL.

Thanks

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 11:42:03 AM »
The shared SSL certificate does not use your domain. The server hostname is used in your domains place to allow an SSL connection without purchasing an SSL.

Perhaps in your new store you have not used the correct url for the store location in order for the shared ssl to be found.

I suggest reading about shared SSL setup at Arvixe here:
https://support.arvixe.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/157/17/shared-ssl

Then checking your store site location url for correctness within your Admin Panel store settings as instructed in the above article.

With that said -  it is never recommended for an ecommerce site to work on a shared ssl - Your business needs to be using it's own domain name in the url for the website -  and in order to has an SSL that uses your name you need to buy your own certificate.  That will cease your existing issues when set up correctly.  As Gordon indicated you can acquire one for around $10 US and then all will be well and your url name will display as it should.

Lee

Offline Siri M.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 09:35:18 AM »
Hi Lee

Thanks for your reply. I do have the correct link. Just like in the Arvixe support article you linked. Sorry, I can't put the link in because the forum won't allow to post external links, but it's what the Arvixe support to me to add. We just had to add a subdomain to the end of the SSL link because I added the second domain.

I can open the cart homepage with the https link, therefore Arvixe says the SSL is directed to the right location. But the usual secure pages such as Login or Create New account are still dead when I turn on SSL in the cart. Firefox does nothing at all, and Chrome says "Cannot find page." Turn off SSL under settings and all is fine.

Arvixe is going to have another look at it. Will let you know if they find a fix in case any others have this problem in the future.

Yes, want to move to a dedicated IP and SSL, but a bit hesitant to install now if the shared SSL won't even work.

Thanks again,
Siri

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 04:18:08 AM »
.... Firefox does nothing at all, and Chrome says "Cannot find page." Turn off SSL under settings and all is fine.

you have broken link your IP-to-your_ssl_domain. If you ask domain it returns nothing. You should to check dns-response and resolving of your ssl domain.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens