Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Freight Management Options  (Read 4476 times)

Offline JFuchs

• View Profile
    • Beaton Industrial, Inc.
Freight Management Options
« on: April 04, 2014, 01:51:03 PM »
Hello everyone,
   I am in an industry where many of my products must ship via LTL freight. I am trying to figure out the best way to handle/calculate freight at checkout. Ideally, I would love a program or extension that allowed me to specify the weight, size, shipping class, and pickup point for each product, and thereby worked in sync with a freight carrier to provide up to the minute freight charges that could be added to the invoice at the point of checkout. (I know, I'm probably dreaming...)

I understand that this technology is not readily available or at least it was not easily found during my research. The alternative I suppose, is to simply supply a message and comment box at checkout that allows the customer to enter their "collect" bill carrier and account number, in which case the customer will be billed directly for the shipment from their freight partner of choice, and/or if they do not have a collect account, gives me the ability to have a message appear informing the customer that shipping charges will be billed to their credit card once a rate has been obtained for their order.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me?

Lastly, I still have items that can ship via UPS, so I will need to have two freight options available, so that I can assign one of those options to the product in the product editing section.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated,  I am kind of at a stand still with the site until I figure the shipping options out.

http://store.beatonindustrial.com/

Thank You
JFuchs

« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 03:09:29 PM by JFuchs »

gordontaylor

Re: Freight Management Options
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 03:14:54 PM »
Hey Jon,

Good to see you posting again. You can select multiple shipping options on the extensions page, but unfortunately this cart is geared toward the non-industrial seller. Not that it's not a good platform for industrial...it is.

PM abantecart and he can quote you a price to build a freight extension, I'm sure.

Gordon

Offline JFuchs

• View Profile
    • Beaton Industrial, Inc.
Re: Freight Management Options
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 03:20:51 PM »
Good to know!  I wear multiple hats around here so I haven't been able to work on the site for the last couple weeks. Hoping to get a few solid days in now that things are calming down a little. Thank you for the quick reply Gordon! I will reach out to AbanteCart.