Author Topic: Multiple stores  (Read 7732 times)

Offline jowest31

• View Profile
Multiple stores
« on: March 29, 2014, 06:53:02 PM »
Hi

Can someone please translate this into english language so I can actually understand what it means?

Multistore set up
AddThis Social Bookmark Button
To setup multi-store first of all setup your main store with main domain name.

if You need to create multistore you DON’T NEED to install cart again or anything do with files. Only you need is two things:
1. setup additional domain (addon domain) or subdomain in your hosting provider admin panel
2. set up second store in the admin of main store. At the end you should have 1 cart admin and 2 (or more) storefronts
Please note: the first step is not AbanteCart related. If you have problems please contact with your hosting provider.

set up your hosting Cpanel

Set up two or more domains in your hosting service control panel. This is very important to make sure that the second domain is routed to the correct folder.

There is several ways in Cpanel - subdomain or addon domain.

Here is short example for subdomain way

Anyway a lot of beginners have issues here because:
• Due to DNS propagation, the subdomain can take up to 24 hours and more to start working

• make sure to link the subdomain to the path where the default store was installed to

• make sure there is no redirection setup for new subdomain/domain

• usually user may need to clear browser cache and DNS cache on local computer to resolve new or reconfigured domains/subdomains

• also possible some settings in .htacess file or file permissions issue prevent correct work

Please contact with your hosting service provider to make sure your domain/subdomain configured correctly

Thanks in advance

Jo

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple stores
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
This looks like english to me  :o
Might be broken grammar a bit :)

What do you need to know?
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

gordontaylor

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 10:41:20 PM »
Pretty clear to me also...

Basically, you must create a sub-domain for the multi-store.

It is NOT a completely new store, it pulls the products from the main store data base.

Also rename .htaccess.txt to .htaccess

That should do it.

Multi-store works good if you have, for example, multiple locations with the same products or less products than the main store has. You CAN NOT add different products to the new store.

You use the same Admin Panel to control both stores attributes.

Offline jowest31

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2014, 09:15:49 AM »
Hi

Thanks the reason I said this is because I have no knowledge about sub domains or anything else for that matter :(

So I go to my control panel and make a new sub domain name.

I then add a new store to the original store.

You say I need to change Also rename .htaccess.txt to .htaccess, do I do this for the new store or the old store.

Thanks Jo

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2014, 09:22:09 AM »
I need to add some important information when creating the location for a mulit-store
You can use either a subdomain or a different domain.  But you MUST point either one to the location of your main store.

e.g  mysite.com/store   set up a subdomain called stuff - you MUST set the document root of the subdomain to be mysite.com/store.

So in Cpanel under subdomains you would see
subdomain.Rootdomain      Document Root
stuff.mysite.com                  mysite.com/store

One correction to Gordon (sorry partner!)  you can add new items to either store,  when an item is added there are check boxes for every store location.   Only locations with check marks will have the ability to show that item.

One note:  the products you have already set up in your main store,  will NOT show up in your new multi store UNTIL you go in and add them to the new store  by checking that store for each product.

But Gordon is right, multi-store works great.

Lee

Offline jowest31

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »
Thanks but i'm still none the wiser!  :(

I have setup a sub domain in my cpanel and called it stuff and it has the rest of my main website, so it reads stuff.mymainshopdomain.co.uk

The document root just say public_html/stuff and that's all, when i click it just takes me to the files and cpanel also has an option the manage redirection which I have read I don't need.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 11:46:22 AM »
you need to change your document root to be the location you have your main store in.
if your store is in the root,  it is just public_html/

if you have your mainstore in a folder it is public_html/foldername

I've posted a pic with a subdomain setup.

You manage your store from within your Admin Panel - in the upper right corner there is a drop down with your stores.
You must first run Create New Store in System> Settings ( I have assumed you've done that)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 11:52:47 AM by llegrand »

Offline jowest31

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 01:11:17 PM »
Hi

Thanks, I really don't know how to change the root directory, I can't work out how to change it to the main shop, do I do it in files or does it need to be done in sub domain?

I can usually work these things out with help but im completely stumped on this one!

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 01:22:46 PM »
you're over thinking this:

what is the address of your main store?  What do you have in your System > Settings> Details  Store URL field?

what is the subdomain you added in cpanel  for the multistore?

Let me know that and I can help you better.   If you wish to PM that information rather than post on the board ,  just click on the little button that looks like conversation icon on the left panel.

Lee

Offline jowest31

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 06:49:14 PM »
Hi Lee

Just sent the details.

Thank you

Jo

Offline jowest31

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2014, 06:36:42 PM »
Hi

I seem to have got the setting right.

I have 2 url

One main store
Two Second store.

I have changed store number 2 so it's a different template so I can tell the difference but both are showing the same. Anyone know why please??

Offline jowest31

• View Profile
Category Links
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2014, 06:45:31 PM »
Hi

I cannot seem to get the multi store to work despite a lot of help on here.

I have a way round it i hope. I can setup a new store on a separate url. I just need to know how I can link some of the categories to the other store.

So just need to know where to look to find the file that has this info index.php?rt=product/category&path=72

Thanks Jo