Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Price Based Shipping extension does not work with downloads  (Read 11764 times)

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
Price Based Shipping extension does not work with downloads
« on: April 28, 2014, 06:50:44 PM »
Greetings,

Brought this up a few months ago so wanted to know if there has been any update to this extension - Price Based Shipping

Still have a notice at checkout and view cart that they should not purchase tangible and digital goods at the same time - not very professional.  This should not be too big a fix since all the other carts either function properly (distinguishing digital from tangible) when using price based shipping. 

Would really like to hear about it - it's been some time now so I just might use a different script for downloads, but don't really want to if it can be avoided. 

Thanks much
Ron
AbanteCart is one hell of a shopping cart.  Donate once in a while and keep the development plus support going.  --  That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Price Based Shipping extension does not work with downloads
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:48:22 AM »
Still have a notice at checkout and view cart that they should not purchase tangible and digital goods at the same time - not very professional.

Hello, Ron.
Can You please explain why you can not purchase 'tangible and digital goods' together? Price Based Shipping - calculate cost based on cart sub-total and no difference what kind of product if product have price  ??? this is how it work on my side.

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:54:23 AM »
Hello, Ron.
Can You please explain why you can not purchase 'tangible and digital goods' together? Price Based Shipping - calculate cost based on cart sub-total and no difference what kind of product if product have price  ??? this is how it work on my side.

Hi Basara, it is possible to purchase tangible and digital goods during the same transaction but this extension does not differentiate between them - it only charges shipping via subtotal so if there is one physical book ($5) and one digital music album ($5) shipping is calculated for the $10 subtotal - rather than just for $5.  I have used this type of extension on shops that I moved from to begin using AbanteCart - for example, CubeCart - got the same type of extension but the logic removed the digital goods from the calculation of shipping costs.  Also for other shops but one example is sufficient.  If the purchase was 1 book ($5), 1 hat ($5) then the subtotal $10 is correct to figure shipping. 

Thanks much - hope an improvement will be available soon, it has caused me some problems with customers and some loss of sales. 

All the best
Ron
AbanteCart is one hell of a shopping cart.  Donate once in a while and keep the development plus support going.  --  That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it!

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 04:58:16 AM »
so.. solution is in attachment. Just replace file extensions/price_based_shipping/storefront/model/extension/price_based_shipping.php.
i added condition for products without weight. If it zero - will not effect on shipping price.
 please check and let me know
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 05:04:54 AM »
so.. solution is in attachment. Just replace file extensions/price_based_shipping/storefront/model/extension/price_based_shipping.php.
i added condition for products without weight. If it zero - will not effect on shipping price.

Hi. what about Requires Shipping: OFF setting for digital products? Maybe easy and more correct to fix Price Based Shipping work with this setting?

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 06:34:29 AM »

Hi. what about Requires Shipping: OFF setting for digital products? Maybe easy and more correct to fix Price Based Shipping work with this setting?

No, Basara.. it's a PRICE BASE shipping.. it base on total amount of order, not shipping price.
― Charles Dickens

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 10:51:26 AM »

Thank you very much abolabo - i will test out this solution and report back as to how it works.  I'll try it on a few products and if works good then I'll need to go to all my tangible goods and put some bogus number in weight - we don't use weight, therefore using the price based extension. 

I want to tell you that I greatly appreciate your assistance in this - another example of shining support AC offers us.  Anyway, will let ya know what happens. 

All the very best,
Ron

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 11:38:27 AM »

Thanks much once again - here is my experience with the price_based_shipping.php file you reworked for me. 

I do not know if this worked or not because another problem was created in charging the correct amount. 

Example:

I went to 5 different items and put a 1.00 pounds for weight.  These items are $4 each so I put 3 of each (15x$4=$60).  My shipping is set as follows:
20:5,50:9,80:12,120:16,1000:22  -  therefore with a subtotal of tangible goods, using that structure the shipping should have been using 50:9 but it continued charging 20:5

Therefore, I cannot make a determination if digital goods are exempt from shipping since all subtotals are charging the minimum shipping rate. 

Thank you for your assistance - hope to hear back from you soon as a fix for this would be very much welcome. 

All the best
Ron

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 05:47:45 AM »
I went to 5 different items and put a 1.00 pounds for weight.  These items are $4 each so I put 3 of each (15x$4=$60).  My shipping is set as follows:
20:5,50:9,80:12,120:16,1000:22  -  therefore with a subtotal of tangible goods, using that structure the shipping should have been using 50:9 but it continued charging 20:5

does your items have any weight?
Abantecart do not recognize tangible and digital products yet. I used weight as a sign for it inside changed file.
If you plan to ship some of your products you must to set some weight value.... i think all tangible products have some weight anyway. Digital - not.
― Charles Dickens

Offline buddahboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:19:35 AM »
That was actually a clever idea - no I don't input weight on the tangible items or the digital - that's why I'm using the price based shipping module.  The items I tested with yesterday I put as 1.00 pounds each so it would work with the changes you make in the php file, but it didn't work - in fact the price based extension didn't calculate shipping any longer. 

I believe it would be a very important improvement as digital goods are getting to be a very important part of business. 

Thanks for the effort and all the best
Ron