Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: customer order email confirmation.  (Read 21634 times)

Offline Craig

• View Profile
customer order email confirmation.
« on: July 21, 2012, 03:11:09 AM »
Hi, my test orders go through ok and as a business I'm sent a copy of the order and customer details but I'm not receiving a confirmation copy as a customer. I'm using a different email address as a potential customer.

Thanks

Craig

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: customer order email confirmation.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 06:08:51 AM »
 what is mail settings of your abantecart?
Could you check this issue like in it thread http://forum.abantecart.com/index.php/topic,144.msg402.html#msg402 ?

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 07:43:57 AM »
hi, mail is smtp
hostname   mail.galaxygig.com
port 25

i am getting  an email saying there is an order (with the order details) but the email address I am using to place the test order doesn't receive any confirmation that they have made the order. Thanks

Offline Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 06:43:01 PM »
update: I have a programme that checks my mail before i download it. it appears to be sending the customer order confirmation to my business email address but when i down load it the email has changed to the business order confirmation. I'm not getting 2 seperate emails. I'll have to check my mailwasher programme and see if the problem lies there. thanks

Offline Craig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 06:57:33 PM »
bypassing the mailwasher programme, I still only receive the business order confirmation

Offline Nimitz1061

• No matter where you go, there you are...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
Check also your mail server settings.

If sending from user@serviceprovider.tld to user@serviceprovider.tld  the server may refuse to post an email, as the mail user shouldn't need to post mail to themselves.

Also - check that the address involved in sending is not blocked by an RBL used by the receiving server..

David

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 08:48:33 AM »
Check also your mail server settings.

If sending from user@serviceprovider.tld to user@serviceprovider.tld  the server may refuse to post an email, as the mail user shouldn't need to post mail to themselves.

no. mail-server can deliver  from sender to sender. it's absolutely normal behaviour.

Also - check that the address involved in sending is not blocked by an RBL used by the receiving server.

David

David, php use system mail-client (mailer), that works on webserver, for example, sendmail or simple ssmtp. If you have tuned up mailer you can set mail settings of you abantecart to "mail". Usually hosting servers already tuned up correctly.
If not - use "ssmtp" and set parameters.

testing mail-server before sending is not good idea. That process takes a lot of time. We should run multithread process for order changing, in other case customer will wait.

so.. i just tested mailing..
1. enable alert mails for new orders in setting->mail
2. When you change order status check "notify customer"

All emails was sent, after order confirm (to customer and owner), after order status to customer. All works right.
― Charles Dickens

Offline Nimitz1061

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 09:41:46 AM »

no. mail-server can deliver  from sender to sender. it's absolutely normal behaviour.

So is not delivering from sender to sender when the server is configured that way.  Which is why I said MAY, not WILL.

Also - check that the address involved in sending is not blocked by an RBL used by the receiving server.

David

David, php use system mail-client (mailer), that works on webserver, for example, sendmail or simple ssmtp. If you have tuned up mailer you can set mail settings of you abantecart to "mail". Usually hosting servers already tuned up correctly.
If not - use "ssmtp" and set parameters.

testing mail-server before sending is not good idea. That process takes a lot of time. We should run multithread process for order changing, in other case customer will wait.

so.. i just tested mailing..
1. enable alert mails for new orders in setting->mail
2. When you change order status check "notify customer"

All emails was sent, after order confirm (to customer and owner), after order status to customer. All works right.

Some of these things may help avoid ending up in a spam bucket, sure.  But will not help much if the store owner uses their own mail server to send promotional mailings.  The RBL will still catch SMTP mediated mail.

In terms of testing to see if the email account is valid, I'd suggest that this should be an available option in account creation processes.  Better is to make sure that the address is entered twice and that both entries match.   In this case, given the report of multiple tests using the same account we might be safe in assuming that a bad email address is not the problem. 

David

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 06:01:22 PM »

Some of these things may help avoid ending up in a spam bucket, sure.  But will not help much if the store owner uses their own mail server to send promotional mailings.  The RBL will still catch SMTP mediated mail.

In terms of testing to see if the email account is valid, I'd suggest that this should be an available option in account creation processes.  Better is to make sure that the address is entered twice and that both entries match.   In this case, given the report of multiple tests using the same account we might be safe in assuming that a bad email address is not the problem. 

David

about address checking...your idea is good.. i think we can add it to road map ...or somebody will help us.
― Charles Dickens

Offline Nimitz1061

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 06:54:08 PM »
I'm sure my system administrator would have a number of suggestions as well.  Including making sure the system sets the reply-to header, support for DKIM , etc. 

David