Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: what cookies the cart uses  (Read 10548 times)

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
what cookies the cart uses
« on: May 30, 2014, 04:37:24 PM »
Hi,  with the new EU requirements and for those of us US based that like to get our policy right -  could you please post what cookies and how they work (length of time, etc)  and are used in the core Abantecart?

It would be most beneficial to have those itemized in the documentation so we can easily find them and refer to them in relation to our Policy from time to time.  Perhaps in the installation area,  new section called Cookies

Thanks for considering this and making it easier for us to become and remain compliant

Lee

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: what cookies the cart uses
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 06:10:30 AM »

http://www.onlinemarketingacademy.uk.com/eu-cookie-law/

As i see this law require consent only for third-party cookies such as google-analitycs.

In other cases it not needed

No Consent Required
 - A cookie which remembers the contents of an online shopping basket. (we store all data in session and recognize session by session_id from cookie)
 - A cookie which facilitates essential security functions relating to data protection (e.g. those used by online banking services).
 - A cookie which improves website loading times by spreading the workload across multiple computers.

we need to think about it.

As for me this law is crazy. All browsers already have settings related to cookie policy.

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
― Charles Dickens

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 12:01:02 PM »
Hey Abolabo -
I agree with you on that it is a crazy law,  and my understanding was about the same as yours that in most cases not needed.

However,  with all that said my question about Abantecart is more directed to the existing cookies that are used and being able to answer the questions correctly on the privacy/cookies generator service that I use.  Is there anything unusual about any of the normal code cookies?   Do they remain set for extended periods of time - or set as non-expiring?  Those types of questions.
I have assumed that there is NOT any unusual usages of cookies.  But thought this would be an excellent time to pose the question and get a definitive answer.

thanks
Lee

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 12:58:16 PM »
Hey Abolabo -
I agree with you on that it is a crazy law,  and my understanding was about the same as yours that in most cases not needed.

However,  with all that said my question about Abantecart is more directed to the existing cookies that are used and being able to answer the questions correctly on the privacy/cookies generator service that I use.  Is there anything unusual about any of the normal code cookies?   Do they remain set for extended periods of time - or set as non-expiring?  Those types of questions.
I have assumed that there is NOT any unusual usages of cookies.  But thought this would be an excellent time to pose the question and get a definitive answer.

thanks
Lee

no any unusual. session cookies have session expire datetime (you close browser and cookie will deleted). by the way we have 2 cookies for that: separately for admin and storefront sides. Also that cookies have sign "httponly" that prevent to access by browser from javascript etc.
Other cookies such as language 2-letter code or currency code have different expire date.. but all in standart way.. without any suprises:)
― Charles Dickens