Author Topic: Google Adwords Conversions Code. Already built In?  (Read 7307 times)

Offline Siri M.

• View Profile
Google Adwords Conversions Code. Already built In?
« on: August 02, 2014, 02:20:04 AM »
Hi. I've been using Adwords for a while and I know it's working because some customers mentioned it. However, for a couple of months now my conversions in Adwords has always shown zero, as if I have never had a conversion. The rest of the website tracking seems to work okay.

I've set up conversion trackings in Adwords, and they have some HTML code that goes into the "Thank you" page or whatever the customer sees after buying something. However, I thought that Abantecart already has this code built into the PHP. Is this correct? Is there something I need to do more with Google HTML code?

I hope this makes sense..

Thanks much
Siri
Edit: I just did a full purchase test. I noticed Paypal does not direct back to the site after paying. Is this one reason conversions do not show up? Thank you
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:53:02 AM by Siri M. »

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Google Adwords Conversions Code. Already built In?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 01:55:04 AM »
Hello.

Please use google manual to check conversion tracking https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722021

By default AbanteCart have Google Analytics built in code

Offline Siri M.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 07:44:02 AM »
I used Google Chrome Tag checker. It says the code is outside the head tag and suggests it be inside the head tag. Is that a problem for not tracking conversions?

Offline flyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 12:26:40 PM »
Typically in the past it was told to us to put the analytics tag all the way the bottom of the page before the closing </body> tag.

Now for a few years I have noticed when I have looked at source code of websites that they put it in the <head></head> section. I learned about this way without Google telling me.

At first I thought it was odd but the trend seems to be since it is at the top it will get read first. I dont know if there is an advantage or not because I debated with myself on this. Yes it does not have to scroll all the way down to make a connection to analytics but at the same token if you leave it at the bottom it can crawl all the import content of the page before getting to it.

As long as it works that is what matters. My biggest issue with Google is that if you use their product and they have a way to contact you why not let us know you are going to roll out a new feature. We always find out later at my job after the fact and it upsets us.

They need to contact everyone that is using them and do it as a courtesy. Sometimes it has been a few months and we then find out of a new feature.

Offline Siri M.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 09:44:43 AM »
Sorry to be dumb, but where is the HTML code for these pages? Where would I check or put the code that google suggests pasting in? I can find PHP pages for the site, but those are different, right? Are there simple HTML pages I am missing?

I know I have sales through google Adwords, but I still haven't had a single conversion showup in Analytics or Adwords in three months. And I have them linked correctly. I also have Paypal set to automatically return to Thank you page, but still nothing. Hmmm..

Thanks.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 09:48:18 AM »
Sorry to be dumb, but where is the HTML code for these pages? Where would I check or put the code that google suggests pasting in? I can find PHP pages for the site, but those are different, right? Are there simple HTML pages I am missing?

There is no standalone html pages. AbanteCart (and all other cars) generate html each time you run php code

Offline Siri M.

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 11:40:38 AM »
Thanks. That's what I thought. But which PHP page would I check to see the Google code for tracking conversions? I'm still getting no paid conversions in tracking, and Google Analytics says it isn't receiving Ecommerce data completely.

yonghan

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 11:46:44 AM »
Hi,i don't know if this will help you or not,but if you want to add html code to head tag,you can take a look here

https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src/blob/master/public_html/storefront/view/default_html5/template/common/head.tpl

Offline Siri M.

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 09:22:24 PM »
Okay, I see that, thanks. For a test I put the conversion code in the header.tpl page and  Google Tag checker sees the code now but says the code isn't inside the <body> tags, but I don't see those tags in the common pages. And should the conversion code be in the success.tpl page for correct placing?

Thanks much