Author Topic: Extension Developer Tools (Wizard Creator)  (Read 23281 times)

Offline johca

• View Profile
Extension Developer Tools (Wizard Creator)
« on: January 11, 2015, 05:24:11 PM »
I installed the current version of Extension Developer Tools (Wizard Creator) which was release some months before release of Abantecart v1.2.0.  Although the Extension Developer Tools installs with no installation difficulties encountered it does not appear to be functioning properly.

A new template project can be created, but unable to open project to generate layout.xml file base of default_html5 template and add it to extension so the extension can be installed.   Any work around possible or available?

See attached screen shot--no open or close project options available.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: Extension Developer Tools (Wizard Creator)
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:19:42 PM »
Current Extension Developer Tools is not working with v 1.2
Please give us some time to upgrade it and improve.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline johca

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:53:52 PM »
No worries.  I'm still learning the cart basics and in process of configuring the default template.  Eventually I do desire to make a cart extension as my design tastes differ from the default template and other available templates.  I tend to like personalizing to give a differing form everybody else's web store front.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »
Welcome and donot shy to post questions or share your thoughts. ;)
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline bcsteeve

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 07:25:55 PM »
Is it working now?  I see there's a 1.2 in the directory structure.

What I don't see (and why I googled and ended up here) is how the heck you install it :)  lol   There's a tad bit of irony in there somewhere.

Edit:  N/m.  Found the manual extension installation directions (FTP upload)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 07:32:18 PM by bcsteeve »

Offline bcsteeve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 08:03:12 PM »
I gather it is NOT working, despite the 1.2 directory structure.  I'm not at all clear on what any of it does yet, but as I went through with random "test" data, when I got to the XML generation part that the OP mentioned, I click Save Layout XML button and immediately it directs to a non-existent "/undefined&undefined" location

Offline Osaze

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 11:34:03 AM »
I went through the wizard creator and must say it appears its meant to ease my pain for developing extensions for Abantecart but haven't been able to do that.
I also checked the documentation for it, found nothing substantial.

I currently have an ambitious project for abantecart but I haven't been able to figure out how to use Extension Developer tool for it so I have started coding manually. I also am not a huge fan of OOP for PHP so am moving slowly but surely.

Am currently building a multi-seller extension. This isn't something far from my programming skillset but the documentation hasn't been good to me.

Can someone explain the whole MVC thing to me using Extension Developer Tool as a guide?

When i even generated views and controllers, I couldn't access them.. I believe I don't understand routes for PHP MVC.

I do alot of MVC on Ruby on Rails but this is not explanatory. I will be glad if someone can really use an example.

E.g. Create an empty extension using MVC with an add-on for admin and access the Views from the browser. I will be able to pick up from there

Offline bcsteeve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 11:37:53 AM »
seriously... run away.  Just run away!  As you can see it has been three weeks since my post and there was no reply.  I asked several questions on this forum, and this is the first time I've gotten a notification of a response and its you asking a question, not someone answering :)

So that shows you the kind of "support" you can expect.

AbanteCart card is wonderfully conceived, horribly executed.  I'm sure I'll be banned for this, but that's OK.  If I can save one person from wasting the hours I did....

good luck to you.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
I recommend you read up on MVC concept in WIKIPEDIA

This design pattern for many years and AbanteCart is not the only project that utilize it.
When we planned to make developer tools our aim was to simplify the creation of the structure of extension. If you do not understand the basic architecture of MVC, the developer tools will not completely help you.

Look at this topic article on the Internet, and then go into the offense.

good luck to you too.

“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline Osaze

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 02:24:53 AM »

This design pattern for many years and AbanteCart is not the only project that utilize it.
When we planned to make developer tools our aim was to simplify the creation of the structure of extension. If you do not understand the basic architecture of MVC, the developer tools will not completely help you.

good luck to you too.

I have read up the MVC approach. I understand it because I also write MVC based programs on Ruby. I just need a simple 5 minute example on how to write a very very basic plugin using this video. The most basic plugin that can be written. So, i understand how things go. I can find my way from there.

Offline mountain_mart

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 03:41:30 AM »
I gather it is NOT working, despite the 1.2 directory structure.  I'm not at all clear on what any of it does yet, but as I went through with random "test" data, when I got to the XML generation part that the OP mentioned, I click Save Layout XML button and immediately it directs to a non-existent "/undefined&undefined" location

I'm facing the same scenario whereby I try to clone the layout.xml file and on save, directs me to a url "/undefined&undefined"

Any help much appreciated

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 05:04:35 AM »
Please update dev tools extension to the latest version. The were fixes few days ago
https://github.com/abantecart/developer_tools_extension/tree/master/v1.2