Author Topic: Free shipping enabled on Product page issue  (Read 9648 times)

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Free shipping enabled on Product page issue
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:23:47 PM »
I have tested this on 1.1.9 and 1.2.0  but have the same results.

On the Product page there is a field Free Shipping  - that indicates that we can enable the ONE product for free shipping.   I have only USPS enabled in the shipping extensions.

According to the Documentation on the Products page:
Free Shipping: must be ON to enable free shipping for this product.

The tool tip says:  Master Setting to enable free shipping for this product

But setting this field to ON,  does nothing.   The shipping estimate ignores the setting and calculates a fee.  Have I missed some setting somewhere that is not discussed in the docs?   Or if this an issue that needs fixing?

Additionally,  if this field were to work -  it would be great if the product had a note appended in the checkout area that said "this product has FREE SHIPPING" or something like that.

Thanks
Lee

Offline demps2127

• View Profile
Re: Free shipping enabled on Product page issue
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:07:02 PM »
I am having the same issue - am interested in any recommendations you get  :)

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 02:28:58 AM »
Issue related to USPS shipping extension reported to AbanteCart bug tracker

Offline demps2127

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 03:27:34 PM »
I look forward to the fix soon as I cannot launch my store until this issue is resolved. Thanks

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: Free shipping enabled on Product page issue (even after latest fix)
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »
I have tested the newest fix on github -  but the results are still unsatisfactory.   It is my opinion that the logic of the Free Shipping field on the Product Page needs a serious re-think and re-write.  Here's why:
1.  If that field is enabled -  there needs to be some type of notification on the product page on storefront that that indicates that is shipped free.   There is no easy way to do that currently and without some type of information this is a lost customer interaction.
2.  There also need to be some type of notification on the checkout page that the item is shipping for free,   and if it is order with other products that are not shipping free then it will not be added into the wt for the entire order.
3.  The latest fix -  if there is only one item with free shipping in the order -  show the Shipping to be Free - but without an explanation or a product notice one thinks the estimated block is non-functioning.   It simple displays type of shipping with $0.00.

If these things can't be accomplished then I would strongly suggest you remove that field from future versions as it has no positive value to a site,  raises conflict with customers as to why the shipping doesn't work (just letting the customer think they are getting away with free shipping is not good customer relations)

Thanks for considering my take on this issue.
Lee

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 08:27:38 AM »
Thank you for your suggestion

I will give this another look.

We need to make this solution generic and applicable/configurable for most generic conditions or cases.

Aside from this we will need to create a better manual for configuration of shippings.
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline demps2127

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 08:35:52 AM »
To update my store do I just update my code based on the 6 files that were changed that are posted on github?

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 04:59:52 PM »
yes,  that is the hoped for solution :)

If you don't want to make all those code changes as shown with the red and green areas, an easier way is go to
https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src/tree/1.2.1
and download the zip.   this will give you the changed file -  find the ones that are listed in the fix and upload them to your site. 

Just do the files that you are concerned with,  do not update your entire 1.2.0 version yet.

I would suggest trying this on a cloned version first to see if all is well.  Or at the least make a backup of your site BEFORE changing the files, so you can easily roll back.

Lee

Offline demps2127

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 05:51:40 PM »
Thank You!  I am running 1.1.9 though so can i use the files from the zip or should I update manually? I previously tried to run the update to 1.2 and it gave me fatal errors so I had to reinstall 1.1.9.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 05:54:47 PM by demps2127 »

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 06:17:00 PM »
oh,  then there is an issue -  the fixes are only going to work on 1.2 regardless of how you update the files.

there is a major change from 1.1.9 to 1.2.0 that affects any thing the makes a call to default_html5.

what was your issue on updating to 1.2?  you should try and resolve that first and then you will be in much better condition to move forward.

Please open a new topic for your version update issues (if you haven't already started one)  rather than continue that here.

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 09:17:18 PM »
As suggested by Lee, I added better handling for Free shipping. Now "free shipping" text is shown on product page and text Free is shown on cost side.

https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src/commit/97b7f3a0b999efcda8a4c857888358a71e753caa

Note, for cart shipping calculation. This assumes that all products in the cast have free shipping status. If at least one has paid shipping, shipping cost will be calculated for that product.

Not all shippings are covered yet. Other developer will finish others.
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline demps2127

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 02:23:55 PM »
I successfully upgraded to 1.2 and replaced the 12 files for this free shipping fix. I am now getting this error when I click on a product. In addition I noticed that there were changes made to the default template but not the html5 template for the fix.

Fatal error: Call to undefined method ACustomer::isUnauthCustomer() in .../storefront/controller/pages/product/product.php on line 553
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:27:29 PM by demps2127 »

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 02:36:52 PM »
Glad to hear you successful upgraded to 1.2.     The default template in the cart for version 1.2 is now called default.
the default_html5 was used in prior versions.

I tried updating this also in one of my 1.2 test sites and it also failed.   Seems there are some controller changes in the 1.2.1 version that are not in the 1.2.0.  And testing to see what needs to be done to make this work. other than wait for 1.2.1

What shipper are you using for your shipments?

Lee

Offline demps2127

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 02:43:40 PM »
HI - thank you very much for all your responses.

I am using USPS - with a few items with free shipping.

Offline demps2127

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 07:36:18 AM »
Admins... do you have a solution for those of us that implemented your fix for the free shipping options but it actually made the store unusable? Is 1.2.1 coming out soon (like in a couple days) or will you update the fix so it actually works with 1.2? Thanks