Author Topic: USPS - First Class Shipping  (Read 11774 times)

Offline Cindy

• View Profile
USPS - First Class Shipping
« on: January 19, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »
Hi,

I'm completely new to AbanteCart and have installed v 1.2 for testing.  I have the USPS shipping extension working but I can't find any settings for the Domestic First Class option.  Currently, for First Class it's only quoting for a stamped letter but I need it to quote for parcels.  Letter, large envelope, and postcard quoting is not needed.

Can someone direct me to this setting?

Thanks,
Cindy

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: USPS - First Class Shipping
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2015, 02:21:14 PM »
First-Class Mail Parcel service can be used for lightweight packages or bulky large envelopes weighing up to 13 ounces.  For heavier items, see Priority Mail in the Rates and Fees Reference. USPS doesn't use First class for packages over 13 ozs-  it uses one of the Priority mail options.  You can test this out at  http://postcalc.usps.com/ 

And here's the USPS information:http://pe.usps.com/businessmail101/classes/firstClass.htm

Hope this helps you determine the class of shipping your need.

Offline Cindy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 02:37:08 PM »
Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately it does not answer my question. The weight of the product in my shopping cart is well under the 13 oz limit which is why I'm getting a First Class quote.  The problem is it's not quoting for First Class parcels it's only quoting for a stamped letter.  It will quote for a First Class Mail International Parcel just not domestic. For domestic it quotes a letter rate.  There must be a setting somewhere that allows you to choose which First Class options you'd like to use.

Offline Riin

• View Profile
    • Happy Fuzzy Yarn (wholesale)
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:47:50 PM »
Did anyone ever find a way to fix this? I just configured the USPS extension, and the cart is not showing first class as an option for an item well under 13 ounces. I sell yarn. Someone has to buy 3-4 skeins before it's over 13 oz.

I looked at the weight based shipping extension, but I couldn't figure out how to charge different prices for different parts of the world. I can charge a certain amount for a certain weight if I'm shipping it in North America, but if I'm shipping it to Europe or Australia the price is much higher.
Riin Gill

Offline Suzzie526

• It's never too early for wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 02:44:42 PM »
I would like the answer too.. just recently installed, switching over from wp e-commerce. Most things I ship in the US are first class with tracking, extremely economical with the security of tracking, which my customers love. If I could no longer ship this way, I'd be shooting myself in the foot!
Suzzie526

Offline Suzzie526

• It's never too early for wine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2016, 03:02:35 PM »
also to add, USPS first class package now allows up to 15.999 ounces at the reduced rate. Anything over that *HAS* to use Priority. But if AbanteCart can't handle this, I need to know before I sink more time and effort into it.
Suzzie526

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2016, 05:58:47 AM »
Hello.

What is your weight class in the USPS extension settings page http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/ship_and_pay/shippings/usps.html
 and default class in AbanteCart settings (System > Localization > Weight Classes)? http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/localization/length_and_weight/weight_list.html

Offline digitalt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2016, 07:33:51 AM »
also to add, USPS first class package now allows up to 15.999 ounces at the reduced rate. Anything over that *HAS* to use Priority. But if AbanteCart can't handle this, I need to know before I sink more time and effort into it.

First Class is anything up to 13 oz. https://www.usps.com/ship/first-class-mail.htm  Over 13 oz. you can use Parcel Select/Parcel Post, which I think now USPS calls it Retail Ground. It's First Class type shipping up to 70 lbs.  I use these 2 services exclusively for my eBay sales and will continue to use them with A-cart.  You DO NOT have to use Priority over 13 oz. although depending on the weight it may be more economical to use Priority Flat Rate, but it is not mandatory.