Author Topic: PayPal Express Checkout Process  (Read 7178 times)

Offline dhigz

• View Profile
PayPal Express Checkout Process
« on: March 30, 2015, 03:40:10 PM »
I recently installed PayPal Express, set everything up and fully tested. Everything works except the checkout process seems to be out of order.

Normal process with credit cards and other payment methods: Cart -> Shipping -> Select Payment Option -> Confirm Order (and enter cc info) -> Success Page

The Paypal Express process is: Cart -> Select Payment Option -> Payment through Paypal -> Confirm Order Page -> Success

Shouldn't the Paypal Express process be the same as other processes?: Cart  -> Select Payment Option -> Confirm Order Page -> Paypal Payment - > Success

I have two concerns about the current process:

1) The current Paypal process relies on the user to click the confirm button on the confirm order page once returned from Paypal. I don't know about you, but a user (maybe an inexperienced user) might think they are done when they are done once payment is made to Paypal and not realize they need to click this final button.

2) The confirm order page gives the user the opportunity to make changes to their order, shipping options, and payment information. Shouldn't this be done before going to Paypal?

The current process actually hits PayPal twice, once after the payment option choice and once again after the confirm button is clicked. Granted, the actual checkout with Paypal takes place when the confirm button is clicked. If changes are made from the confirm order page they do reflect on the actual order record in both the cart and at Paypal. However, wouldn't it be more efficient to go to Paypal once the order is actually confirmed?

Just to see what would happen, I commented out the unction: onControllerPagesCheckoutPayment_ProcessData() in the core file and did follow the process of Payment -> Confirm -> Paypal. The only difference is that Paypal did not show the cart contents only the total. This is because the product data is not being sent to Paypal in the responses/confirm function. An easy fix.

The only thing I can figure is the designed process is intentional and there is good reason why the process is as it is. Please enlighten me or let me before I make changes to the extension.
Don Higbee

Offline RobinA

• View Profile
Re: PayPal Express Checkout Process
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 10:47:55 PM »
 I agree.
I'm just about two weeks into using the Cart which I think is a masterpiece.  For me the checkout process is too long.  My expectation was that the customer clicks on Checkout and selects the method of payment.  If the customer is already registered and they select PayPal, send them straight to PayPal.
Am I missing something there?
Don't worry guys, I'm spreading the word anyway.  I have seen some expensive carts that don't even come close to AbanteCart's features andease of use.

Thanks guys.

Robin

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 02:33:27 PM »
Thank you for comments. Checkout process is set up to be generic to accommodate most scenarios that businesses might have.
Some things can be simplified with settings or code in templates/controllers can be customized to make it simpler (depending on business use)

We will add more in this post. Stay tuned.   
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 03:21:32 PM »
I recently installed PayPal Express, set everything up and fully tested. Everything works except the checkout process seems to be out of order.

Normal process with credit cards and other payment methods: Cart -> Shipping -> Select Payment Option -> Confirm Order (and enter cc info) -> Success Page

The Paypal Express process is: Cart -> Select Payment Option -> Payment through Paypal -> Confirm Order Page -> Success

Shouldn't the Paypal Express process be the same as other processes?: Cart  -> Select Payment Option -> Confirm Order Page -> Paypal Payment - > Success

I have two concerns about the current process:

1) The current Paypal process relies on the user to click the confirm button on the confirm order page once returned from Paypal. I don't know about you, but a user (maybe an inexperienced user) might think they are done when they are done once payment is made to Paypal and not realize they need to click this final button.

2) The confirm order page gives the user the opportunity to make changes to their order, shipping options, and payment information. Shouldn't this be done before going to Paypal?
no. When customer click "confirm" button extension send request to Paypal API to finish transaction. Any changes in the cart will direct customer to paypal side again. Customer must see what amount will be  charged anyway.

The current process actually hits PayPal twice, once after the payment option choice and once again after the confirm button is clicked. Granted, the actual checkout with Paypal takes place when the confirm button is clicked. If changes are made from the confirm order page they do reflect on the actual order record in both the cart and at Paypal. However, wouldn't it be more efficient to go to Paypal once the order is actually confirmed?
mmm...i think more efficient way is using "paypal pro" extension for all registered customers.
PP Express payment method allow to get customer payment data (such as name and address) from Paypal API. It's a one-button-pay-without-registration-process way.

Just to see what would happen, I commented out the unction: onControllerPagesCheckoutPayment_ProcessData() in the core file and did follow the process of Payment -> Confirm -> Paypal. The only difference is that Paypal did not show the cart contents only the total. This is because the product data is not being sent to Paypal in the responses/confirm function. An easy fix.

The only thing I can figure is the designed process is intentional and there is good reason why the process is as it is. Please enlighten me or let me before I make changes to the extension.

Data of paypal and registered customer's data can be different. For ex. address. Address affects to taxes. Taxes affects to total amount. What address is correct in that case? Yes, shipping address. And it can be changed by customer before order confirmation.  Anyway, there a lot of reasons to do checkout process by so "strange" way.
so... if you prefer "an easy fix" - do it on your own risk.
We tried to make an extension to cover all difficult cases of checkout such as promotions, discounts etc. it's a common approach. But you can change it by your own view.

p.s. let me know if i understood something wrong:)
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens