Author Topic: categories  (Read 8520 times)

Offline ygalbrami

• View Profile
categories
« on: September 22, 2012, 05:11:38 PM »
hello
i am new here and i installed the abantecart on my server a few days ago
i have create a new category
and i have create a Parent Category, The problem is i can put only 1 Parent Category at a time and i need to put a lot of categories
if i will put all my categories 1 by 1 it will take me a life time,
it is any way to create a lot of categories in only 1 time?

Thanks in advanced

Offline Nimitz1061

• No matter where you go, there you are...
    • View Profile
Re: categories
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 06:51:31 AM »
Checkout http://www.abantecart.com/ecommerce-documentation/59-admin-user-manual/system/data/55-importexport for information on the data import / export system.

You may be able to export your existing categories and create new ones by reimporting the file after adding some insertion entries.

David

Offline ygalbrami

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »
but i have only 2 categories on the website and i need to add about 20 more categories, it is a way to enter this categories (easy way)?

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 05:24:38 AM »
but i have only 2 categories on the website and i need to add about 20 more categories, it is a way to enter this categories (easy way)?

Go to System-Data-Import&export select in the Export Tab Categories and CSV File Format (Tab delimeted). Cick Export button.
open file with OpenOffice or Microsoft excell insert new column at the start, name it action. Then insert new rows with categories similar to alreadty exiting and for each new row type insert in action colum. Then Import this file to Your system.

Please, backup your database and files before any import especially on live stores

Offline Datafun

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2016, 03:40:27 PM »
Data import with Abantecart seems very, very tricky.  I have been working with shopping carts since the internet started and this seems to be a very difficult cart to use when it comes to importing data.  Even the newest version is very tricky. 

So from what I see, one has to create a single product, complete with category assigned, images, etc., then using the data export tool, export the Products, categories and manufactures files to see how its formatted.  I get that. 

However, why can't we just import a SINGLE CSV file with products, categories and manufactures all mapped.  It seems like this cart requires that all the IDs be setup FIRST and then you have to map your import accordingly.  Very, very 1990's.  When you are importing 25,000 products, that is a barrier to using the cart.

Am I missing something?  I thoroughly read pages about data import/export but am not seeing a way around this?

((I failed to say that the cart is amazing, with the exception to the data import deficiency, I don't even see a real tool to purchase to make it doable - would love to see an answer/update on this or clarification.  All the questions I have seen are all pointed to the data import/export tools and they don't help....not if we need to first setup category ids manually and then manually map them in the product import sheet.  Ideally, if I say a category is TOOLS --> subcategory HAMMERS, if they exist the product should be added, if non-existent, they should be created and then product added)).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:06:01 PM by Datafun »

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 08:25:22 AM »
Welcome to AbanteCart Datafun!

You have a great point. we do need simpler data import.

Intention for original data import/export was a bit different. We wanted to provide unified format for both export and import. This is more advanced feature to allow users to modify data in the export and allow simple import back in. Also, it allows to transport partial data from one AbanteCart to another.

Simple import with original tool might be tricky, like you said. 
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline epimadman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 09:10:58 AM »
Thanks for reply.  So is there no easier way to import categories and subcategories and manufacturers?  I have read the instructions but they simply omit those very important topics and I really see no step by step of how you are supposed to import thousands of products?

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 09:27:22 AM »
Thanks for reply.  So is there no easier way to import categories and subcategories and manufacturers?  I have read the instructions but they simply omit those very important topics and I really see no step by step of how you are supposed to import thousands of products?

There is a way to import categories and subcategories and manufacturers.

Export first the section you need to import to get a format of the CSV. Remove ID column and add your data.
If IDs are not provided, new entry will be created.
Import your data.

NOTE: Take into consideration your web server timeout and PHP memory when it comes to size of your import.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 09:30:15 AM by eCommerce Core »
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline Datafun

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:21:06 AM »
Great thank you.

For our reference and hopefully future references for those who are also struggling with this, can this be done so categories and subcategories and sub-subcategories will be assigned on a single import or with regards to categories, is this a multi-phase import just to get the tree?

Seems like there would be an sql tree statement we could use or build to do the same thing?

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 10:47:38 PM »
For our reference and hopefully future references for those who are also struggling with this, can this be done so categories and subcategories and sub-subcategories will be assigned on a single import or with regards to categories, is this a multi-phase import just to get the tree?

Seems like there would be an sql tree statement we could use or build to do the same thing?
You can build an SQL that will insert categories and subcategories in one import. 
Categories tables are pretty standard.
See ac_categories and ac_category_descriptions
Just link category_id to parent_id

Honestly, I think it will be easier to do this with import of all parent categories first and subcategories next.
See example to category import. 

Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline Datafun

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 04:47:49 AM »
You guys (P/C - "people") are the best - love the cart!  Great job!