Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Few questions about drop shipping  (Read 10359 times)

Offline Sounds

• If you think it can it probably has been..
    • View Profile
Few questions about drop shipping
« on: June 05, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
Hi,

Just looking for a bit of advice here to help speed things up, there's a few things I don't fully understand yet.

I don't know whether to set the products up by weights or what yet.

I'm working on a project where some of the site's products are drop-shipped, maybe from different companies.
Also some of them use different carriers, dhl, ups, ems, fedex, air mail etc. should I enable all of those modules?

I see in each shipping module, example: default_ups, there's an access key, username, password.
I don't have an account with any of these carriers, do I need to sign up to each and get this info?
What does it do exactly, does it auto update rates based of product weight or what? I don't understand.

The store uses Paypal, should I enable/configure both modules: Paypal Express Checkout and Paypal standards?

I have loads of thoughts, like I know a few companies offer their own api to connect your store to their's,
And automatically list their products on your site, is that what the API section is for under settings?

One example of a company offering API is china vasion, could I easily integrate their API for example?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 08:18:07 PM by EMar »
If you think it can it probably has been..

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: Few questions about drop shipping
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 10:51:14 AM »
Hello EMar,

I think you need to think first of your business model, that works best for your business and your customer. Only after that you can think how to configure AbanteCart to work for that model.

If your dropship supplier sends products to your customers, you might not need to set specific shipping, it can be generic shipping. All depends on your model.

If you just enable all shipping methods, your customer will see many options, and will be overwhelmed. FYI, there is no connection between individual product and shipping method. This can be custom developed. 

Payment option is something you need to decide on our own. We see commonly 2 payments used together PayPal Express and Stripe. 

As for third party APIs. These will need to be integrated individually.  API in AbanteCart is for others to integrate to AbanteCart (opposite direction).
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline Gordon Taylor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Natural Handcrafted Soaps
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 03:58:55 PM »
Currently, I know of no drop shippers that have integrated their API with AbanteCart Cart. Not that I'm all that worldly on drop shipping, but to date I have never seen one that integrates with AbanteCart Cart.

Offline Sounds

• If you think it can it probably has been..
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 10:45:44 PM »
I don't know a lot about it myself, but if it works it makes my life a lot easier than adding products manually,
But I don't mind that either, as that process is pretty fast in abente, I did 8 new products in like 25 mins last nite for tester.

Anyway, the api I was looking at is at china vasion if you care to have a look at it, they have an faq section about it but
I don't see much i the lines of documentation or a guide how to implement it. It does say it automates the process of adding
products to your site but I don't know if it does exactly that or whatever, maybe one of you might have a look and know more.

That's just one API example.

I think I'll stick with Paypal standard for now as a payment module because it uses the info the customer put on your site.
Although I like the idea of having that Paypal express checkout, but I'd just have to be sure my Paypal account only accepts
payments from verified Paypal accounts right? then the user could log in to Paypal instead of filling in personals on my site right?

With Paypal express checkout, it basically uses the shipping info on file in the user's paypal account, when they shop on my site.

So I'm doin alright on the payment setup, have two options.

I guess my next step, other than trying to customize abente, is find good prizes from dropshippers in Europe.
I've been searching a few forums like wholesaleforum.com that esource looks like a goo directory but you have to subscribe to see full listings.

Right now all i have enabled is that weight based shipping, I'm still trying to figure out what's the best way to set up rates.
That seems to be the more complicated stuff for me.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 01:00:27 AM by Sounds »
If you think it can it probably has been..

Offline Gordon Taylor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Natural Handcrafted Soaps
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 07:59:53 AM »
It is up to the drop shipper to write an extension that would allow you to use drop shipping with AbanteCart Cart, not the other way around. Or, alternatively, you could find a developer and pay them to develop the extension for you.

Offline Ollie

• View Profile
    • Assistech
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 07:34:50 AM »
Currently, I know of no drop shippers that have integrated their API with AbanteCart Cart. Not that I'm all that worldly on drop shipping, but to date I have never seen one that integrates with AbanteCart Cart.

I'm in the process of developing an extension for drop shipments. Actually, the solution has already been developed (through hard coding) and now needs to be coded as an extension. This extension will let the merchant enter an originating zip code for each product. The cart calculates the total shipping in real time. Of course, the fewer ZIP codes are involved, the faster it will be to get the results.
Assistive technologies for people with special needs:
https://assistech.com/store/