Author Topic: How to manually import (FTP) categories and products?  (Read 4594 times)

Offline fcd.com

• View Profile
How to manually import (FTP) categories and products?
« on: September 03, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
 So I get this errors I've seen being reported on diferent posts here, when I try to export or import files (cannot 'to' pack). Since it is not a php.ini memory issue, a permission thing or neither my AbanteCart has been manually configured (I'm using Arvixe Hosting) I'M GOING MANUAL BY USING FTP FILE MANAGER. I need to know the paths, just to be sure, where to manually import such CSV data.

Thanks.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to manually import (FTP) categories and products?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 02:17:08 AM »
One way to import .CSV file in AbanteCart is in Admin > System > Data > Import/Export

http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/tools/import.html

Offline fcd.com

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 05:38:18 AM »
 Just like I said, I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE everytime I try to use such option Import/Export, so I am asking about the path to do it manually by FTP.

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 07:47:35 AM »
I don't think you understand the structure of where the data is stored.  The data is stored in a database (mysql normally I think) and the data isn't stored in an O/S filesystem so you can't use ftp to import your data.  It just simply doesn't work that way.

If you want, you can import directly to the database using phpMyAdmin (for a lot of folks I think) and connect to the database directly.  This can lead to lots of other problems if you don't know what you are doing or how the data is all connected.

I imported hundreds of items myself and if the import/export option isn't working, I suggest installing the demo data plain vanilla and get things working in that environment first.  Even if you can import data now, your environment probably has other issues which will cause you problems later down the line since those things shouldn't be there to begin with...

One thing I'd add is if you import items with strange html code either in the name or description, it can mess up the import completely so start with very basic data or just delete those fields which can cause you problems.

Offline fcd.com

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 08:23:33 AM »
 Thank you. I asked about FTP simply because that was the solution presented to such error on import/export in a different post on this forum. It was suggested to manually import it via FTP, so I quoted it that way. It is strange that import/export wont work as this is on Arvixe Hosting, auto-installed AbanteCart and I've only tried to import files on the same format as exported. For such system you've stated I can rely on a colleague, however I would like to see this bug fixed, I believe the purpose of a virtual app is to be used by everyone.

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 12:28:22 PM »
I'd have to see what the other message talks about in regards to ftp, but my guess is maybe it's an upgrade note/message since there is no way I know of to use ftp to import actual data within the cart environment.  Systems like this or I'd assume most of the shopping cart solutions out there just don't work this way.

Good luck, you may want to also check with your hosting support since I believe I've seen more than 1 message here about issues with Arvixe so maybe there is something else going on in that hosting setup...(I'm totally guessing here)...

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 06:49:11 AM »
Just like I said, I GET AN ERROR MESSAGE everytime I try to use such option Import/Export, so I am asking about the path to do it manually by FTP.

Please post full error message. Guessing is not an approach  ;)
Also kindly ask you to contact with your hosting company. Many of issues related to server configuration.