Author Topic: How to hide Welcome message  (Read 9868 times)

Offline devashikka

• View Profile
How to hide Welcome message
« on: June 23, 2015, 03:23:34 AM »
Hi There,

There is a welcome message which I want not to appear as I wanted Featured products listed right way under the Home Menu block. I tried to make the text value  (config_description....default) as empty, but, there is huge line/block space (white space) between menu and Featured product list.

Is there a way to disable this Welcome text block and save whitespace

regards

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: How to hide Welcome message
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 04:01:02 AM »
check this file public_html/storefront/view/default/template/pages/index/home.tpl
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline Gordon Taylor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Natural Handcrafted Soaps
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:03:02 AM »
Alternately, you can go into AdminPanel>settings>design tab and you'll see a CK editor titled Welcome Message. Here you can remove the message, change it, at an image, anything you want!

Offline devashikka

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 01:23:24 PM »
Sorry Gordon, I don't find the Design tab in Settings. However, Detail, appearance, Api etc I checked. I checked the Design available parallel to Settings but here Blocks listed. I am not sure which block to disable. If these doesn't work, I may need to consider raw TPL edit as abolabo suggested. But let me try UI admin way. Can you please be help me find once again. Thanks.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 02:05:21 PM »
Here's a link to the doc pages about this
http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/settings/details.html

Here's a screen shot - should get you there.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 08:25:24 AM by Basara »

Offline devashikka

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 12:18:04 AM »
Thanks for the link share. My mistake I overlooked it. I wonder why this does not get listed in search although I edited by other search result. As earlier, I tried emptying the text ( but now with the above suggestion), however the hori gap (whitespace) b/n menu  and Featured block is visibly more. Pls find attached. Regards

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 12:44:40 AM »
is the spacing beneath the categories and the Featured greater the spacing between the Featured section and the next section?

If so,  look back in the design setting box   and look at the source and be sure you don't have some extra lines left in there.

In my testing,  the spacing remains consistent between the sections.  But if you wish that "gap"  to be less then try using FireBug to determine where and what you need to adjust to make it as you would like.

Offline devashikka

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 08:26:22 AM »
Yes I tried to debug in the browser and I noticed things below. I guess that is the cause of spacing.

#maincontainer > div > div  .... mt20 is applied
#maincontainer > div > div > div:nth-child(1) > section class....contentpanel  padding: 10px;
#featured       mt40 class is applied.

I did not notice so much space (20+10+40=TopMargin) when I had enabled Main Page Text Banner.

Anyways thanks for support. Appreciate all for your time.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 08:38:21 AM »
If you're not familiar with Firebug you may not know there is an edit on your live page  so you can see what a change make make it look like.   Just right click in either pane of the Firebug and you should get your selection box

Now these edits are not permanent - only show you what your page will look like,   so you need to make note of where the elements are and go to the files and make the same changes.

Offline Gordon Taylor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
Those are CSS statements and there is an inherent gap between the categories and the featured block, that is normally used by the banner slider or the welcome message.

It can be reduced, but be careful if you don't know what your doing, modifying the style.css.

Offline devashikka

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 08:54:24 AM »
Thanks for the advise.  I shall check on the css as well and hope to do it carefully.

But, I guess this should be handled via scripts to exclude margin in class association, ie..if banner or welcome is not enabled.  Any controller php that is responsible of this functionality that I should look for.  Actually it is too much for me to check where these disabling/enabling parameters state exists. I have no clue. Sorry if I m bothering too much.

Alternatively, I am thinking of a workaround. If I have decide for banner I will go with default style.css value Else modified (no banner) style.css with altered margin value. Guess that would better.

regards

Offline Gordon Taylor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 09:02:34 AM »
You most probably should edit the page.tpl or the header.tpl to remove that space. If I recall, it's on the page.tpl in 1.2.1 and 1.2.2

Offline devashikka

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
That was quick Gordon. So caring. Thank you. Let me check, give a try and update.

Offline marvo

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 12:53:26 AM »
hi, any success in reducing the gap. i have the same problem, unfortunately I'm no programmer so the advice already given hasn't been much help. I'm really happy with how the home is coming together except for this huge gap (same as above) between my banner and the featured section. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.