Author Topic: What am I missing here? Re: text definitions  (Read 4575 times)

Offline bcsteeve

• View Profile
What am I missing here? Re: text definitions
« on: June 30, 2015, 03:51:49 PM »
I'm brand new here.  First thing I did was test what happens when I set up Russian and view the store.  I see SOME, but not all text is translated.  OK, fine so I have to do some work.  That's OK (although, really, out-of-the-box language + out-of-the-box template should = out-of-the-box complete!)

I find language definitions, cool.

I love the sorting/searching.

I notice FREE SHIPPING is in English, so I type "FREE SHIPPING" into "Translation" and see, supposedly, all the instances.  Why there is more than one is beyond me, but whatever... I'm sure there's a reason.  So I change each one to things like:

FREE SHIPPING1
FREE SHIPPING2

and so on.  That way I'll know for sure which one it is.

Refresh the page, it still says "FREE SHIPPING".  Now I have to wonder if that is hardcoded somewhere?  That would be extremely poor coding practice so I'm sure that's not the case.

Someone enlighten me please :)

Offline bcsteeve

• View Profile
Re: What am I missing here? Re: text definitions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 03:53:39 PM »
Immediately after posting, I thought "hmm... cache".  So I found and cleared the cache.  No change.  Maybe it is browser vs. server cache so I used a fresh browser... no change.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 04:05:31 PM »
Since you seem to be "precise" based on your postings so far,  :) please pay closer attention to all of the information on the lines for your language definitions    you should notice that there is also a block field and a key field and they are different.  Sometime you will also find "duplicates: for the block, key, and translations fields  but on when editing you must also notice the SECTION  - some are for the Admin arean,  some are for the StoreFront.

Hope this helps.

Lee

PS  here's the link to the docs for more info

http://www.abantecart.com/ecommerce-documentation/admin-user-manual/system/localization#Language%20Definitions
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:07:16 PM by llegrand »

Offline bcsteeve

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 04:11:29 PM »
It sounds like it should be helpful, but more info required.

And yes I'm "precise"... are you suggesting that is a bad thing?

I found where that particular FREE SHIPPING is located and I hope I'm missing something fundamental about the design here, because I fail to see the point of language definitions if the language of some elements have to be individually coded!

Design -> Blocks -> Main Page Promo... in there is HTML with no reference to language at all.

(and - sorry for being "precise" - it is written as "All over in world over $200".  So if we're going to presume English-only, shouldn't it at least be reasonable English???)

Look, I think this is fantastic LOOKING software.  It needs to be functional as well.  I'm spending a bit of time playing with it, but I'd like to (hopefully quickly) find some evidence that it is a software that can be reasonably managed in the long term.  I suffered through years of Zen Cart and I'm looking for something better, not just prettier.  I'd really like this to work. The responses to concerns/suggestions contribute to that, and attempted shaming me for being too "precise" (what was up with the air quotes) isn't a great start :)

It is pretty basic coding practice that html code should NEVER contain language in an environment that supposedly uses localization.  The fact this block says anything like: I had to remove this because this forum thinks I'm trying to post external links when I'm just trying to show you YOUR OWN CODE.

is a bad sign.  In that case, "Free shipping" should be a heading language define and "All over [the] world [for orders] over $200" should be a body define.  And furthermore, the use of "h2" is suspect because it should probably have its own class.

I know, I know... new guy is full of complaints.  Its just a shame that it is viewed that way instead of taking the opportunity to do things right.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 04:19:06 PM by bcsteeve »

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 05:10:12 PM »
my apologies,  you mistook my "precise" remark from the way I intended.  I was trying to point out the there are several fields to be aware of when working in the language definitions.  And as a precise person,  one would hope you noticed all of them.

Being precise is a good thing,  but taking some time to understand a project before sling arrows,  is also a good thing.

As to the English ,  well there are several versions of English used in different countries -  Americans spell color like that,  Brits usually colour.  Both are English.  And yes,  there are some grammatical and just plain typos in the cart -  they correct them in the next version when we point them out. If they are Language Defs,  one can fix them easily in the Admin Panel.

As to the the restrictions on posting code and links,  when you are new to the board  there are restrictions  - you can thank the less than stellar individuals who show up and post ads and links to unsavory things, etc.  Once you have posted as a real user of the board a few times (can't remember  10 or 15 I think)  the restrict will be removed.

This is an open source project,  and the software is free.   The board postings are answered by the Admins,  some of us (like me) you have been users of the software for some time and have some information to share.   We are all volunteers and use our personal time to try and assist other users.

We are not perfect,  but we care.  I looked at every open source cart out there before settling on Abantecart almost 2 years ago.  I have dozens of installations now,  and I am quite pleased with it.  Is it perfect,  no -  does it do everything I would like it to do,  no.  But it has come as close to that standard as I was able to find.  The responsive design for the default template and the ease (once I figured out how) of modify the front-end presentation sold me.

So in good faith I suggest that you simply install a test cart somewhere  and give it a serious try out with what you need it to do.  And how it may or may not suit your needs.   The coding is quite solid.   Once you determine if the structure will support whatever it is you are wanting it to do,  then you can start looking at the "precise" details and seeing if they fit your needs or can easily be changed to so such. 

Again my apologies as it seems you didn't catch my attempt at lightheartedness. (I did add a smiley)  But I would hope you don't punish the Abantecart software and the forum because of it.

Lee,  just another happy AbanteCart user

Offline bcsteeve

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 05:20:14 PM »
I should know more than anyone that "tone" doesn't convey well written on a screen.  So no worries.

You make solid points.  And I am giving it a go.  I moved on from the demo and I'm now experimenting on a local server.  The language defines thing really needs addressing.  it is a common mistake in shopping cart software.  Zen suffered from it but continue to improve.  It is something best nipped in the bud, so to speak.  The sooner things are globalized, the less work there will be to do later.  Basically, any time you find yourself writing in English while coding, pretend you're writing it for a Chinese customer.  Don't know Chinese?  Good... use a placemarker instead.  Variables are good things :)

Is it a deal breaker?  Well, it is close.  But given that I haven't found a better alternative, I guess I don't have much choice.

I hope the admin are responsive to suggestions and help.  Once I get rolling (provided I can see a path), I'll no doubt contribute along the way.  That's the spirit of open source, or at least it should be.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 06:29:41 PM »
1. disable cache before test.

2. is your "FREE SHIPPING" only one definition in the definitions set?
please try to search it on admin side entire language definitions section. Probably you changed wrong item.

3. Also after updating of definitions you can check changes inside table language_definitions in database via phpmyadmin.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline bcsteeve

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 07:00:44 PM »
1. I did.
2. I did.  I changed them all.  Uniquely.  As described.
3. n/a

I found where it is defined.  Inside a "block" (main promo or something like that) which contains HTML.  You shouldn't mix HTML and language.  I'd say "ever, but there are exceptions... I don't think this is one of them.

You really should look at it.  While not the worst way in the world to do it, it certainly isn't "ideal", and that's the tag line of your software.  If you bother to have language defines, then use them.  It is rather nonsensical to have to wonder, "now where was it that I'm supposed to define text?  Here?  Nope.  That one?  No, that's not it.  Maybe in the database?  Nooo... ok, blocks!".   It should be way more cohesive than that.  And why is "Free shipping" defined in 5 different entries and NONE of them hit that block?  Ideally (there's that word again), it would be defined exactly once, and then referenced throughout.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 08:46:08 AM »
oh.. yes.. we have html-block with static data.
If you prefer do better you always have ability for it.
Generic blocks NEVER uses mix of html and language definitions. i hope you read our documentation with language definitions approach.

But you are right, we need to do our admin search better.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens