Author Topic: Empty Category as Menu  (Read 7054 times)

Offline helperbee

• View Profile
Empty Category as Menu
« on: July 26, 2015, 03:25:36 AM »
I'm using Categories to create a menu structure. For the two empty categories which have no product "Blog" and "Events" which I want to link to external URLs, I need help.

I don't know how to apply the URL so that it works like a menu.
I don't know how to avoid displaying the "This category has no products."

yonghan

Re: Empty Category as Menu
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 06:24:15 AM »
Hi, seems like you need to manually edit the menu and add link there. Why don't you use abantecart default menu manager?

http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/design/menu.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 06:40:44 AM by Basara »

Offline helperbee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 12:25:18 PM »
I started off trying to use the default menu manager, but then our simple five tab menu became crowded by having the default elements (Account, Cart, Specials, Checkout). How do I separate them so my custom menu is separate from the default menu?

I like the look of the category menu (larger tab-type).  How can this be done using the Menu manager?

Offline helperbee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 12:33:13 PM »
Also, I am unclear how to determine what to put in the Link field. I know where I want it to link to. I just don't know how to determine its "link address". I need to link to Content, Categories, and External Blogs. I've already read the documentation.

Offline helperbee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 12:35:36 PM »
Ignore my last question about determining what to put in Link. I figured out the documentation means you leave it blank and use the LINK TO PAGE or LINK to CATEGORY which will fill in Link field for you.  That was too easy!

Offline tastiger

• View Profile
    • Tassie Vapes
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 04:43:12 AM »
I tried this but I am finding LiNK TO PAGE is not filling in link to the field for me.
I tried filling in the field manually including the full url to a page but cannot get past only an empty category being shown instead of the content page I am trying to get to.
I have tried clearing system cache and browser cache.
Abantecart version 1.2.4
After a long search I found AbanteCart Cart, I found possibilities!

Offline helperbee

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2015, 02:18:01 PM »
Tastiger,

I don't know about you, but I was making the mistake that after I used the down arrow at the far right of either "Link to Category" or "Link to Page" I wasn't clicking the blue button "LINK".

It wasn't obvious to me that it was two steps to put the link in the "Link" field.

In the end, I split the site and moved my content into a Drupal and left the shopping cart to focus on products and customers.

Offline tastiger

• View Profile
    • Tassie Vapes
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2015, 07:53:30 PM »
Thanks Helperbee  :)

Indeed it wasn't obvious to me that the link needed to be selected then he blue link button on the left of it clicked would insert the actual correct link - so that part is solved. Much easier than finding the actual path to a page or category when using SEO.

However in practice on shopfront the the link is not sticking, it is still using the original path to the empty category.
I have tried clearing system and browser cache several times to no avail.
I see in theory what should be happening here but fear I am missing something simple again....

Being new to AbanteCart Cart I am hoping to push on and contain everything within AbanteCart Cart to see how it works out before committing to separate content as for most things so far I very much like AbanteCart Cart. It would be the way to a consistent looking site but you may be right about focus Helperbee

Offline tastiger

• View Profile
    • Tassie Vapes
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2015, 10:51:42 PM »
OK, I have figured out the simple thing, I got confused between my category and menu  :-[ which means I cannot do what I was intending originally but with LINk TO working I can take another approach!