Author Topic: Data Encryption Manager Questions  (Read 9142 times)

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
Data Encryption Manager Questions
« on: August 18, 2015, 07:40:06 PM »
I have read most of the forum messages that popped up in a search and the install documentation for Data Encryption Manager.  I also have it setup and encrypted my addresses, customers and orders tables...Everything is working so I don't have an issue with that part.

I was wondering, what permissions should things have on the web server?  A lot of docs have 777 and most files everywhere seem to be 755 as well.

Having lived as a Unix admin person in my past life, a lot of these files seem world readable.  Even the system/config.php has 755 permissions.  Is this normal and is this a security concern?  The config.php file has all the database login info there so with that, you can access all the information (I used to have root access everywhere so maybe this is normal?, I was never in web-development)...

Also, what is the best or safe security practice for what I should or where should I store my encryption keys?  Do I just leave them both in my keys folder on the server or delete the key pair on the server under my /path/to/keys/ folder?

Leave the .pub and delete the .prv?

I wasn't sure what is needed to allow the store to just work and I can run scheduled encryptions of customer data regularly I guess.

Thanks for any tips and info you can share.

Also, what is this line?
// Encryption key for protecting sensitive information. NOTE: Change of this key will cause a loss of all existing
 encrypted information!
define('ENCRYPTION_KEY', 'somekey');

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: Data Encryption Manager Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:46:16 AM »

Having lived as a Unix admin person in my past life, a lot of these files seem world readable.  Even the system/config.php has 755 permissions.  Is this normal and is this a security concern?  The config.php file has all the database login info there so with that, you can access all the information (I used to have root access everywhere so maybe this is normal?, I was never in web-development)...

You can not to see content of config.php from web-side (i mean from your browser). It forbidden by .htaccess + php-file will interpretated as scenario but not plain text-file. If you can see it through other ways, such as ftp, ssh or some exploit or "backdoor" that mean you have the same privileges as web-server app (apache). In this case doesn't matter what file permissions was set.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 10:12:59 AM »
I was wondering, what permissions should things have on the web server?  A lot of docs have 777 and most files everywhere seem to be 755 as well.

Suggested permissions for PHP files are 644 (755 would be OK).
777 might be set for installation or upgrade purpose, but they need to be set back to 644.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure required system directories are set to 777 (images, resources, cache, etc)

Here is a good read about PHP security:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/php-security-best-practices-tutorial.html

Also, what is the best or safe security practice for what I should or where should I store my encryption keys?  Do I just leave them both in my keys folder on the server or delete the key pair on the server under my /path/to/keys/ folder?

Leave the .pub and delete the .prv?

I wasn't sure what is needed to allow the store to just work and I can run scheduled encryptions of customer data regularly I guess.

Store Keys in a separate location, not accessible to web. Move out side your web directory.

Also, what is this line?
// Encryption key for protecting sensitive information. NOTE: Change of this key will cause a loss of all existing
 encrypted information!
define('ENCRYPTION_KEY', 'somekey');

This is a standard key that is used to encrypt data (session, some configs, etc). This is basic, lightweight  encryption. It is not related to SSL based encryption with Data Encryption Manager
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 10:40:10 AM »
Hi, thank you for more info!  A few more questions below...

Suggested permissions for PHP files are 644 (755 would be OK).
777 might be set for installation or upgrade purpose, but they need to be set back to 644.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Make sure required system directories are set to 777 (images, resources, cache, etc)

My default permissions (after a manual install) seems to be set at 755 for all those folders and working ok so I'm going to just leave it at this.  Do you think that'd be ok?

Here is a good read about PHP security:
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/php-security-best-practices-tutorial.html

Will read this when time permits.

Store Keys in a separate location, not accessible to web. Move out side your web directory.

Do I just move one key or both?  If I move the keys away from the public_html/system folder, the current encryption of someone creating their account or setting up their address, email seems to break and not work.  I guess I should just try to move/rename 1 and the other to test this...

More info helpful.

Thanks for your time and answers!

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:13:26 PM »
755 is OK

You need to move both keys.
If you need to separate keys into different locations it is possible with small code change  .
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 01:47:00 PM »
755 is OK

You need to move both keys.
If you need to separate keys into different locations it is possible with small code change  .

Thanks so much.  I tested it and moved it completely out of my web environment directory (above my public_html)...

I don't think having a separate location would make much difference in my small environment so I'll just keep them together.