Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: moved site up to root and lost drupal  (Read 6118 times)

Offline helperbee

• View Profile
moved site up to root and lost drupal
« on: October 02, 2015, 07:00:32 PM »
I read for hours all the posts and advise about how to move a site. I guess my situation was more complicated that is typical. I had a Drupal site at the root. I had installed AbanteCart under directory /a. I was ready to move it, so I backed it up, and followed these steps:

1. Copy all the directories and files from .../a to root directory.
2. Access admin in new URL without /a in it.
3. Go to System -> Settings -> Details and edit Store URL to remove /a from both Store URL and Secure Store URL.

When I browsed to rentmasonbees.com it only displayed the storefront, not the home page of my site made with Drupal.

I contacted my host and they magically fixed it. I reverted step 3 above to point to old location.

Now I need to learn SOMETHING to understand what I did wrong and how to safely remove the files that still exist under /a.

Note: As a precaution, I still have the Drupal install under /d  and copy of AbanteCart is still under /a.

What I'm worried about now is letting too much time elapse and customers buying and not knowing which copy of AbanteCart database to keep. I'm assuming the copy job from today created two copies of DB. Yes, I am still pointing to the one living under /a which was the original location and has some customer orders.

Christina

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: moved site up to root and lost drupal
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 01:37:09 PM »
What am doing is the following:
My main domain settings point to specific directory (web root).
For new site in development, I create subdomain (dev.site.com) that I point to new directory on the same level as the main one. (not inside)
Install what I need into that directory and use subdomain  (dev.site.com) for setup and development. It will have it is own controls in web server as well, so I can block unwanted access to it.

After all is done on new site, I need to do 2 things.
1. switch directory names, so main domain will point to new code
2. change config.
In AbanteCart, you will need to change only 1 setting for URL.

Pretty easy and safe. 
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline webdevmerc

• View Profile
Re: moved site up to root and lost drupal
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 01:46:34 PM »
What am doing is the following:
My main domain settings point to specific directory (web root).
For new site in development, I create subdomain (dev.site.com) that I point to new directory on the same level as the main one. (not inside)
Install what I need into that directory and use subdomain  (dev.site.com) for setup and development. It will have it is own controls in web server as well, so I can block unwanted access to it.

After all is done on new site, I need to do 2 things.
1. switch directory names, so main domain will point to new code
2. change config.
In AbanteCart, you will need to change only 1 setting for URL.

Pretty easy and safe.

Thanks for this...
If you have the URL for somewhere in Abantecart docs about this, that'd be helpful and a nice read for me too.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile