Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: What if any code changes that I make will survive upgrade?  (Read 5313 times)

Offline browneyedgirl

• View Profile
What if any code changes that I make will survive upgrade?
« on: October 19, 2015, 12:42:39 PM »
Hello,

I am relatively new to AbanteCart and webpage development in general. I have set up my e-commerce site using the existing code and configuration tools 9e.g. layout, blocks, modification of language definitions to change text mesages etc.  However, there have been a few instances where changes via the admin interface are not sufficient to get the look I want.   For example, I  have modified the file:

public_html/AbanteCart /storefront/view/default/template/pages/product/product.tpl.

in order to show the available amount of inventory for the given product.

In searching through  the file structure for abantecart, I see that there are some files (e.g. category.php ) which has the following note at the top :

UPGRADE NOTE:
   Do not edit or add to this file if you wish to upgrade AbanteCart to newer
   versions in the future. If you wish to customize AbanteCart for your
   needs please refer to http://www.AbanteCart.com for more information.

However, i do not see this message on all files - so I'm wondering if someone could help answer  the following:

A) which, if any, file changes survive upgrade?
B) If File modifications like the one above do not survive upgrades, how does one go about making changes in a way that will survive upgrade?

(BTW, the above comments suggest going to www.AbanteCart.com to find out, but I'm not sure where on www.AbanteCart.com I should be looking for info on customizing my AbanteCart instance.)

Thanks

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:48:12 PM by browneyedgirl »

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: What if any code changes that I make will survive upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:17:53 PM »
we recommend to clone default template (see menu design->template) and set it as current and then change it. Upgrade process will rewrite only default template but not your copy.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline browneyedgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 05:22:04 PM »
Okay is there a way to automatically pick up the changes at upgrade or is this a manual process regardless? using code diff tools?  Only changes made through the admin interface (e.g. language defs, block layout, form creation etc will be saved but  other code modifications will not be?  Or is there a method using some kind of hook to pick up changes that are perhaps in a seperate file that is not going to be overwritten during upgrade?

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 05:37:39 PM »
AbanteCart do not use modifers of code such as vqmod etc. We just replacing only files from our distributive file list.
If you wish to see difference try to use some tool for if, for ex. Meld. It can compare two folders.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline moebius

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 01:54:58 AM »
we recommend to clone default template (see menu design->template) and set it as current and then change it. Upgrade process will rewrite only default template but not your copy.
Not a programmer, so I'm clueless how to do this... the clone this with developer tools link... is there an instruction manual for the developer tools?

Sorry to be a complete noob.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 02:18:57 AM »
Hi. Note your changes somewhere and after upgrade apply again. For the Dev tools it is for developers but you can try it too. Follow link and download Dev Tools source then upload Dev Tools 1.2 to your extensions folder