Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: I want to move to another web hosting. What should I do?  (Read 80065 times)

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: I want to move to another web hosting. What should I do?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2014, 03:43:53 PM »
abantecart can do only backup of data.
For moving to another host you should do full database backup. Easiest way to do this via hosting provider CPanel or phpmyadmin.

So then, what is the use of making only a backup of data, (inside the admin)
if you can not use this backup for moving your web shop
to another host ? Same question for dump.sql,
what do we do with it ?

AbanteCart backs up dynamic data. Code can be moved with simple FTP or SFTP.
You can restore your back up on your new moved to location.

FYI. I hope we will be able to finish cloud backup in the next release. This will simplify things.
Help is appreciated :)
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline abcart_ecm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 09:50:49 PM »
AbanteCart backs up dynamic data. Code can be moved with simple FTP or SFTP.
You can restore your back up on your new moved to location.
Ok thanks now it makes sense. Will try this out on a test server.

FYI. I hope we will be able to finish cloud backup in the next release. This will simplify things.
Help is appreciated :)
I don't agree that a cloud will simplify things. Clouds are in the news lately about data owner rights.
Bad example is MicroSoft promising data safety in European clouds which turned out not to be true.
American companies like microsoft who setup clouds in Europe still fall under American (read nsa) jurisdiction. Now more and more companies are looking for cloud solutions to keep
data owner rights out of nsa peeking and poking.
A good guide about how to transfer your webshop to another host will also simplify things.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 09:53:00 PM by abcart_ecm »

Offline keanu_reeves

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2015, 03:29:49 AM »
what fields to take backup from PHP my admin. I just want to transfer my catagories, Manufacturers and products only.
My backup restore is giving error. When I tick
Resource Library Files
Config.php file. Note: keep backup-archive securely. File will contain "salt" for encrypting.

Please help.

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'AException' with message 'Error: MySQL server has gone away<br />Error No: 2006<br />SELECT * FROM `ab_language_definitions` WHERE language_id = '1' AND section =1 AND block='error_ajaxerror'' in /home/aayu****/public_html/core/database/mysql.php:114 Stack trace: #0 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/lib/db.php(90): MySQL->query('SELECT * FROM `...', false) #1 [internal function]: ADB->_query('SELECT * FROM `...', false) #2 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/engine/extensions.php(821): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #3 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/engine/extensions.php(779): ExtensionsApi->__ExtensionsApiCall('_query', Array) #4 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/lib/db.php(61): ExtensionsApi->__call('hk_query', Array) #5 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/lib/db.php(61): ExtensionsApi->hk_query(Object(ADB), 'SELECT * FROM `...', false) #6 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/engine/language.php(636): ADB->query('SELECT * FROM `...') #7 /home/aayu****/pu in /home/aayu****/public_html/core/database/mysql.php on line 114

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2015, 04:07:35 AM »
what fields to take backup from PHP my admin. I just want to transfer my catagories, Manufacturers and products only.
My backup restore is giving error. When I tick
Resource Library Files
Config.php file. Note: keep backup-archive securely. File will contain "salt" for encrypting.

Please help.

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'AException' with message 'Error: MySQL server has gone away<br />Error No: 2006<br />SELECT * FROM `ab_language_definitions` WHERE language_id = '1' AND section =1 AND block='error_ajaxerror'' in /home/aayu****/public_html/core/database/mysql.php:114 Stack trace: #0 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/lib/db.php(90): MySQL->query('SELECT * FROM `...', false) #1 [internal function]: ADB->_query('SELECT * FROM `...', false) #2 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/engine/extensions.php(821): call_user_func_array(Array, Array) #3 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/engine/extensions.php(779): ExtensionsApi->__ExtensionsApiCall('_query', Array) #4 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/lib/db.php(61): ExtensionsApi->__call('hk_query', Array) #5 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/lib/db.php(61): ExtensionsApi->hk_query(Object(ADB), 'SELECT * FROM `...', false) #6 /home/aayu****/public_html/core/engine/language.php(636): ADB->query('SELECT * FROM `...') #7 /home/aayu****/pu in /home/aayu****/public_html/core/database/mysql.php on line 114

Hello.

The most common reason for the MySQL server has gone away error is that the server timed out and closed the connection.

Offline farzeel

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2016, 05:31:56 PM »
please send a video tutorials :(

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 01:32:28 AM »
please send a video tutorials :(

Hello. You can read our doc How to move to another hosting http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/tips/change_domain.html#ChangeHosting

kolynet

« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2016, 05:54:18 AM »
guys, i have migrated abantecart million times, you dont have to reinstall. i can help you to do it quickly without problems. you can contact me

Offline Gordon Taylor

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Natural Handcrafted Soaps
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2016, 03:12:37 PM »
I agree with kolynet, it's very simple if you have some basic knowledge. He's moved many of them, simply PM him for the details!

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2017, 12:11:40 PM »
guys, i have migrated abantecart million times, you don't have to reinstall. i can help you to do it quickly without problems. you can contact me

I agree with kolynet, it's very simple if you have some basic knowledge. He's moved many of them, simply PM him for the details!

But what if you're dead now? 

I was hoping for a quick read. 

It says here the process is quick and simple, but it also says that I must play a "PM" game that is not quick and simple in order to get the information about the quick and simple process. 

That doesn't make sense. 

It seems smarter to just post the quick and simple information instead of posting instructions for a PM game. 

Especially if you were recently killed by a tiger, which would make the PM game much much slower than it already was.  The quick and simple information would be gone forever. 

It seems smarter to just post the information instead of the game. 

BTW - AbanteCart is not like many other CMS's in that it is not a straightforward process to backup a local dev site and then restore the dev site on a live server.   Hence this thread.  Funny that this distinction has apparently persisted for 5 years.

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2017, 12:25:30 PM »
So my site is going on an A2 account. 

I ftp'd the AC backup to the A2 server last night. 

A2 has a simple AC installer.  The installer never asked if I wanted demo data.  It just blasted the full package onto my root. 
So that is something to look into. 

I accessed the live AC Admin panel and deleted all that demo data. 

Then I accessed the live AC System/Data/Restore page.  The Browse button wants to look on on my local machine.  I can't make it look at my folder on the live server. 

Funny. 

Intuitive software can be a challenging thing to write. 

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2017, 01:00:34 PM »
You've mixed up your apples and oranges here
first the softaculous installer for AC  allows you to direct your installation to a sub-folder  or a sub-directory etc.

But since you FTPd your files you don't need to use the Softaculous install -  you need to check your settings table using myPhpAdmin
and change your url  to your server location. 

As you indicated the /restore wants your local,  and that is an indicator your directions on your ftpd files are not correct.

That should get you fixed up.

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2017, 02:21:15 PM »
You've mixed up your apples and oranges here
first the softaculous installer for AC  allows you to direct your installation to a sub-folder  or a sub-directory etc.

Hi, and thank you for your reply!

When I ran the softaculous AC installer on A2, I directed the install to occur in my folder of choice on the live server, which was the root folder for my site: root/sitename.com.  When I open that folder, AC is there.  When I navigate to the live-site url, there is an empty default AC website there.  It is empty because i used the live Admin backend to delete all the products.

I'm with you up to this point.

But since you FTPd your files you don't need to use the Softaculous install -  you need to check your settings table using myPhpAdmin
and change your url  to your server location. 

1 - What I ftp'd up was the backup folder that was produced by the local AC Backup app.  I ftp'd it to the live root/sitename/admin/system/backup folder.  I had to create the backup folder within the system folder on the live server because it was not there, but otherwise this was straightforward.  It took just over an hour because my up speed is pretty slow and there are a lot of files, but i was asleep so that didn't matter.

2 - I'm not sure I completely understand the 1st part of your statement.  My understanding is that the softaculous AC install installs the AC app, which can then receive my AC backup file via Restore and become my site.  My understanding is that my local AC backup does not include the entire AC framework, only the dynamic files.  Hence it is necessary to install the entire AC package on the live server and then restore the dynamic data to it. 

3 - I took your advice and used cPanel on A2 to use phpmyadmin to look at the settings table for my live AC install. 
Row 190 config_url = http://www.mysitename.com/
Is that the proper value for this key?

As you indicated the /restore wants your local,  and that is an indicator your directions on your ftpd files are not correct.

I'm not following you.  On the live Admin backend, under Settings>Store Details, the Store URL value is http://www.mysitename.com/.
In the live cPanel phpmyadmin prefix_settings table, the config_url key value is the same: http://www.mysitename.com/.

What else do i need to change so that the AC livesite Data Restore function will point at and browse the live server folder root/sitename/admin/system/backup/?

BTW - From the live AC Admin panel, I just ran a backup.  It worked.  It placed the backup file (of the empty AC site) into the exact folder listed above.  So now there are 2 backup files in that folder: my site backup which I ftp'd into that folder last night, and the empty AC backup that was just created. 

I thought this might help "trigger' something on the Restore function, but it doesn't.  Restore still wants to look locally instead of at the root folder on the live server. 

That should get you fixed up.

I'm grateful for your help.  I don't mind saying, this is frustrating.  I thought I would spend 15 minutes restoring the site on the live server, then fix file permissions, then make an xml sitemap, then line out my payment methods.  Instead, the day is almost half over and i still can't accomplish a simple step like using AC Restore to load my site into a live install of AC. 

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2017, 02:42:47 PM »
Did you read these docs?
http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/tips/change_domain.html

IMPORTANT POINTS:

You need to select the same MySQL database prefix as on your current AbanteCart instance.
On existing AbanteCart instance, do backup of database, code and resource library (do not include system/config.php)
you will need to replace unique keys from your original installation into new configuration file. It is in system/config.php file

a MANUAL install of Abantecart (fresh, without demo)  can easily be done - the same way as you did on your local install.
http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/install/options/regular_installation.html

I would suggest you do it manually,  after deleting your softaculous install.  Then you can use Softaculous to import the installation into that application to take advantage of Softaculous auto backup of entire site and cloning for future testing, etc.

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2017, 04:17:30 PM »
Did you read these docs?
http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/tips/change_domain.html
I did, yes, thank you. 

IMPORTANT POINTS:

You need to select the same MySQL database prefix as on your current AbanteCart instance.
Yes, I did this from the outset, as prompted during the softaculous AC install.

On existing AbanteCart instance, do backup of database, code and resource library (do not include system/config.php)

Interestingly, there is no apparatus provided for excluding config.php from an AC backup.
Theoretically, the user could move the config.php file out of the AC folder stack and then do a backup, I guess.

But this is irrelevant to my current situation. 

I installed AC on A2 server. 
I ftp'd my site backup to the appropriate folder within the AC install. 
I tried to restore the backup, but the AC Restore app wants to browse my local machine via my browser to find the backup folder, instead of looking on the live server. 

That is the bottleneck. 

I edited the SERVER_NAME key in the live /system/config.php file to point AC at the live server folder. 
I verified that Admin Settings and the database site_settings table both contained the correct live url  as the site url.

What other component of an AbanteCart install will serve to tell AbanteCart the location of itself? 
There is no reason that I can see that a live AbanteCart install doesn't know the location of the folder in which it is installed. 

That is my bottleneck. 

you will need to replace unique keys from your original installation into new configuration file. It is in system/config.php file
I did this at the outset. 
IF the live AC install would look within itself and perform a Restore from its own system/backup folder, then it would find the appropriate UNIQUE ID & ENCRYPTION KEY because I put those keys in the live config.php.
IF AC overwrites the default config.php with my own config.php because it is contained within my backup, the proper keys would still be present.  the only problem would then be the SERVER NAME  key, right?  Easily edited if necessary.
HOWEVER, this problem cannot happen if the live AC install won't look within its own system folder to do a backup.

That is my bottleneck.

a MANUAL install of Abantecart (fresh, without demo)  can easily be done - the same way as you did on your local install.
http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/install/options/regular_installation.html

I would suggest you do it manually,  after deleting your softaculous install.  Then you can use Softaculous to import the installation into that application to take advantage of Softaculous auto backup of entire site and cloning for future testing, etc.

I will probably do this next. 
But i will point out that there should be no difference between the softaculous AC install and a manual install, because both installs ask you for the site url, database prefix (which must match), etc, etc. 

I did not ftp site files to site folders. 

I ftp'd an AC backup folder to the proper /system/backup/ folder within an independent AC install. 

The independent AC install has no idea who I am or what data exists where, because it has no information except the install info such as prefix, site url, etc. 

I don't understand why the restore function of a fresh independent AC install would want to look anywhere BUT it's own system folder. 

If I can understand that, then i can point AC at itself to find the proper backup folder to restore. 

I'm reluctant to just nuke the install and start over because I cannot conceive of a reason that act would change anything in my current situation. 

Thank you again for your attempts to help. 

My bottleneck is how to setup or change an AC install so that it looks in it's own system folder to find backups. 

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »
Pretend you are an AC install, and your boss is Dave. 

You always use your mouth to speak, and you always use your nose to smell, and you always put your backups in your shirt pocket, and you always restore from shirt pocket.

Dave walks up and says "hey, you look weird, I want you to do a restore from last month." 

You answer, "Okay Dave, would you like me to restore from Cleveland, or Guam, or the Neptune Galaxy?"

Dave is like, "What?  I want you to restore from your shirt pocket.  Where else would you restore from?  Why do you want to go looking somewhere else, and where the heck is the Neptune Galaxy?"

You're like, "DUDE, are you stupid?!  The Neptune Galaxy is way over there!  Idiot."

Then you're like, "My search function for finding backup folders to restore won't let me look in my shirt pocket, so I thought instead that maybe I'd look up a donkey's butt."

Dave is like, "man, this bot sucks.  I need a new bot". 

Other people are like, "Dave, how's that bot? Should i get one"

Dave goes, "Nah.  It couldn't search it's own pocket, so it was always wanting to go to outer space.  It was crazy."

They're like "Dave, did you ever get your site up?"

Dave shoots his crippled bot and then drives over a cliff like Thelma and Louise.