Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Options – required status working incorrectly  (Read 6508 times)

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Options – required status working incorrectly
« on: May 01, 2016, 10:59:22 AM »
 Testing in version 1.2.6 (both on my tests sites and on your demo site)
The required switch does not appear to have an incorrect result.
Testing conditions:
Selectbox,  Multiselectbox, CheckBox,  Checkboxgroup, textarea 
All enabled all of the above with all set with NO default option checked – which then shows the lowest sort order within the option box on product page for customer
All have REQUIRED selected – this is verified by the red asterisks on the product page for customer
ONLY the checkbox and textarea will give a message for the need to be selected.   
Selectbox, multiselectbox and checkboxgroup automatically use the default selection.
The same result on the ordering is observed even if the required field is off.   
I have tested with having the global option set with required on and off,  and alternating the individual option with on and off,  the results are identical
So the question is what use is the required field for most options if the required selection by a customer selects for them?
 See attached for what shows up on my testing.
Am I missing some thought process here in how a required field should work?
Lee

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: Options – required status working incorrectly
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 01:52:06 PM »
Thank you for bringing this up.

I will take a look. Will update you soon. This is critical as we wrapping on testing for 1.2.7.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 10:58:04 PM »
These elements seam to work fin on my install with test cases set up.

See screenshots attached.

I wonder why you get it differently.
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:09:57 PM »
 Your results seem identical to mine.  However  my concern is in relation to the selectbox and the multiselectbox    With  a setting of required for the option,   there is nothing actually required from a customer input.   The system uses the default -  of the option.   Even if no default is actually selected by for an option,  the system selects the lowest order of the sort for use.
This “automatic” selections for a customer,  rather than actually selection seems wrong to me if there is a required input. 

A customer can simply ignore making a selection,  click the Add to Cart button and that is what is processed.
 Is the required for selectbox and multiselect box telling the customer - this is a required field -  and if you don't we will?  Which is rather a surprise for the customer IMO

So my question remains -  am I not understanding the intent of required?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 11:17:14 PM by llegrand »

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 08:23:11 AM »
I am trying to understand this.

If we set some default value and required at the same time, what should we expect to happen?
If default is per-selected and no customer action, what should system do?

Logically, you should not use default value if you set this option required.
Am I wrong?

I think we need to create more use cases here to get a better and clear picture.

We can set up more demo products based on that.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »
Well here's the point I am trying to make clear - if there are no defaults enabled by admin on option product page,
the system selects one to show in the box based on the lowest sort order number.   That makes some sense as something need to show in the box

However where I am having an issue in function is when the required is enabled - the defaulted selection either by system using the sort number or actively selected by radio button click,   if the customer does nothing on the product page in storefront the default is what is passed over to the checkout page.  There is no notification that customer needed to select something.   

One work around is to make the first option - say something like  "Please select your choice" That will work for select box and multiselect box.   It does NOT work for checkboxgroup -  the default shows us with a checkmark, but at least it is more easily seen.

There needs to be a way that if required is enabled -  in every case the customer needs to make the selection.  Not just be shunted off to the "defaulted".  Remembering default is either set by admin OR by system.

Hope this adds some clarity to my issue.

Lee

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 01:20:10 PM »
Thank you Lee. I think I am clear with the issue. Let me see if we can add the solution for 1.2.7

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 01:26:03 PM »
thanks for listening to my point.

When you have it in 1.2.7  let me know and I will give it a testing out in a 127 install to see if we've communicated well enough.

Lee

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 03:13:27 PM »
Option improvements are now implemented.

For select box element there is no solution. If there is no default, you need to include empty option to be shown first.
We do not want to force include empty entry, as some users will not like that.

https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src/commit/360894e7e1fbb561d1221778aed8d5b57090ea17