Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Editing Unit Price in Modify Order  (Read 4477 times)

Offline Farmermho

• View Profile
Editing Unit Price in Modify Order
« on: May 11, 2016, 06:18:14 AM »
I have recently upgraded to 1.2.6 from 1.2.1 by applying all upgrades in order.  Everything went fine with no errors.  However, now the ability to edit the unit price from the admin backend has now gone away.  This is one of the primary features why we use Abantecart.  The current documentation says that this a feature under modify orders.  I can understand why some may not want to be able to change the unit price but for us it is a necessity.  Is there a setting that is used to enable this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Carl

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: Editing Unit Price in Modify Order
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 03:50:59 PM »
You cannot to change product price inside already placed orders. Please change total amounts instead.
This restriction related to tax recalculation functionality that was added earlier.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline Farmermho

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 05:09:26 PM »
I can understand that some users may want to restrict changing the unit price because of tax calculations but for our situation we need the ability to change the line item price.  We sell items that are pre-packaged and have a price per pound.  We list the average price of a package in the shopping cart but when we go through and process the order, the package price is higher or lower than the average.  To control inventory, we do not want the customer to specify the weight but rather the number of packages.  I need the ability to change the line item price so that the invoice that the customer receives on delivery matches the price listed on the individual packages.  If I have to make a lump sum adjustment at the order total level, then the customer will not be able to match up line item price for the packages.  I do not care about taxes being recalculated because I pay the taxes quarterly based on the overall retail sales for that product class and I do not collect the taxes from each order because we price our product to cover paying the tax (a straight 2%) on behalf of the customer.

I hope I have explained the scenario in sufficient detail so that you can see that the ability to change the unit price was a critical reason why we chose AbanteCart because other packages did not allow us to change the unit price at the line level.  If you are going to remove a feature that is even listed as available in your current documentation (Modify Orders clearly states that the unit price can be changed) then you should create a setting to that allows users to enable this who have this need.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 06:32:15 PM »
Let me ask developers why the price change should affect the recalc?   From a mathematical and a coding viewpoint
what difference is if you change the quantity of an item  or change the unit price of an item?   Both require a recalc of the total,  and of the taxes, etc.

This seems like a lack of total flow thru on the the recalc process IMO.

Thanks for at least re-thinking the procedure.

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 10:17:34 PM »
The discussion here is about unit price after the order is placed.
As a general rule, we have decided, that we should not allow editing unit price after order is placed. After customer agreed to certain unit price, unit price can not be edited.
Totals on the other hand can be changed as additional products, qty, discounts, taxes can be applied. 

If price is needed to be changed, you need to edit unit price in the product itself. If you need to give customer discount, you can can add it as a new total.

Hope this helps with the questions you have.

“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 10:47:13 PM »
Yes,  I did understand where the discussion is - on the order details after an order is placed.

But I do no understand how  to give the customer a discount on the order details page -  again this would be after the order is placed.  The only thing I see that can be edited is the quantity  OR you can add a product(s)  or remove the entry  already ordered product.   But how does one add a discount to an pending order?  What is the mechanics of adding a discount to an existing order to follow your solution?

Offline Farmermho

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2016, 11:29:45 PM »
As I said in my previous post, I can understand that in many situations, the unit price should not change.  Our situation requires that I be able to edit the unit price after an order is placed because I do not know the price of each item so I cannot change the price in the catalog.  We are selling meat that has been packaged and cannot be altered.  I tell the processor that I want cuts of meat to be approximately a certain weight, say 3 pounds.  When I go to sell these, the weight can vary quite a bit.  I am going to charge the customer the price listed on the package because I tell the meat processor the price per pound and they print labels with the cost of the package.  However, I don't want the customer ordering by putting in that they want a certain weight because I track inventory by the number of packages of each cut of meat.  Our shopping cart specifies that the price is an estimate and that when we select a package of meat to fulfill their order that the price will be adjusted to the actual amount.  That way, the invoice they receive matches the packages of meat they order because often they order several types of cuts on the same order and to have an order total adjustment for all the invoice lines would only confuse them because they couldn't match the invoice line to the actual package.

I can't understand what is so difficult to understand about this scenario.  Just because it is different than the way most online stores operate doesn't seem like a good reason to eliminate a feature that makes AbanteCart more flexible.  This feature alone is the primary reason we picked AbanteCart because we tried ZenCart and OpenCart and both required adding on a module to make this work.  If you need to, add a setting that the default is to not allow editing the unit price and then it's up to the person configuring the system to enable it, if they need it.

Also, I want to add that I really like AbanteCart and am amazed at the functionality that is available in a free application.  Thanks for producing a quality product and please consider making this available again.

Carl