Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: One page checkout  (Read 7247 times)

Offline daspi

• View Profile
One page checkout
« on: May 19, 2016, 04:35:46 PM »
Is there a way to shorten the checkout process? I am not talking PayPal Express, regular store checkout with credit card.

There are simply too many steps to get the order done. Then the last step where we see all info complete, it asks for another confirm order. This will result in many lost orders. You can expect to loose some customers on every step along the way unfortunately.

I love what I see so far with AbanteCart but the long checkout is really not good. I hope I just missed a setting.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
Re: One page checkout
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 07:47:35 AM »
One page check out is not implemented in the core distribution, but I seen it done as a custom.
This can be implemented with an extension that puts all the steps into one single page.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline daspi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2016, 03:29:45 PM »
I can not find an extension for it, does it exist already or are you suggesting to build one? I really think this should need to be done ASAP for a well designed cart if it wants to be relevant in 2016.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2016, 04:08:20 PM »
Like so many things  there is not one answer for every one.  It's good to think about pros and cons of every decision in relationship to your offerings,  your type of customer,  you're need to service ongoing customers for repeat business, up-sell, etc.  Your blanket statement that "if it wants to be relevant in 2016"  is just over-stated without regard to others needs and desires.

Here's an interesting article  about one-page vs multi-page checkout

http://blog.lemonstand.com/the-great-debate-single-or-multi-page-e-commerce-checkout/

Offered as information to help all make good informed decisions.  But I don't disagree that having an option in the checkout method would be nice.

Offline daspi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 04:38:29 PM »
I hear you. Just making a case that the current multi page checkout with the last page looking like the order is done but still needs a confirm button to be pressed is not a good idea. I agree that not every one page checkout system is great. But at least reducing checkout pages and making it crystal clear when done would be awesome. This has nothing to do with every ones needs are different. No body wants to loose sales during checkout I would think. After all every eCommerce sites wants to sell something.

Any  idea who could create a module? I can contribute a workflow plan and draw up the layout for functionality but can not code it myself.

Offline daspi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 12:27:26 PM »
I want to clarify my suggestions a bit better. I'm not set on having a One Page Checkout but would like to see an optimized checkout with less steps.

Shopping Cart – Checkout Optimization

My suggestions to improve customer experience and avoid abandoned orders.
1.   Progress indicators. The customer should know where they are in the process and what else needs to be done to complete the purchase.  One way to achieve this is to have a progress bar across the top of each checkout page.
2.   Shorten the checkout process by combining account creation (shipping / billing info) with selecting shipping options and payment options.
3.   Optional if possible: Maybe move the decision to create an account to the end of the process by simply asking them to provide a password to allow an account creation. Otherwise if not provided simply treat this as a guest checkout.

Shopping Cart Page
Calculation of shipping is possible but displays a drop down box. Customer has to click on the drop down arrow to see all available shipping options. I would rather have a table showing all shipping options right away. Maybe radio button selection instead of the drop down. A functionality in the dashboard to switch on to display the cheapest shipping method first or as default selected would be helpful. (Not sure if this is possible already). Retain the selection of shipping option for the next page.

Pressing Checkout leads us to the Account Login page. Assuming here we simply continue with Guest Checkout.
Guest Checkout - Step 1: Combine this step 1 page with step2 and possibly 3.

Currently the step 3 is titled CHECKOUT CONFIRMATION. Well, this is somewhat misleading. This is not yet the checkout confirmation. It is the order summary with whatever info was collected so far but we still ask for the payment info on this page and an action to confirm the order. Only then do we get to the actual order confirmation page. On the order confirmation page we should display the order number too btw. Maybe this is already an option?

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 08:42:41 AM »
Good points daspi. Thank you.
“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline daspi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 02:57:32 PM »
Has there been any progress on a better checkout?

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 04:14:21 PM »
One page checkout is planned for the next release after 1.2.10. 
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help