Author Topic: Create a copy of default template for modification  (Read 4954 times)

Offline daspi

• View Profile
Create a copy of default template for modification
« on: May 23, 2016, 07:37:22 PM »
What is the status on an admin solution for this as it was posted some time ago? Can I manually copy some folders or is it not possible? Please point me the right direction for modifying the default template so my changes get retained when Abantecart is updated. It think for now I only need to make CSS changes. Are there any override directories where I can upload the changed CSS?

I did see the first post here for the option to use Developer Tools. Seems complicated just to make a copy of the default template. Is there another way? Or should I dig in and install Developer Tools?

Or just make the CSS changes on the original template and keep a copy for use after next upgrade?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 07:41:38 PM by daspi »

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Create a copy of default template for modification
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 01:53:48 AM »
Hello.

To clone template your need to use Developer Tools but if your changes only css you may try this third party extension Custom CSS

Offline daspi

• View Profile
Re: Create a copy of default template for modification
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »
Not sure what the extension does besides editing the CSS? I can edit the CSS, that is not the problem. I just want to know what would be best practice to make changes to the default template. Installing the dev tool and make a whole copy seems almost a bit overkill. Can I put just part into an override directory? (Maybe I am thinking too much ZenCart way of working here.)

If I only work on the CSS I guess I can just keep the original copy and my modified copy offline in case of an upgrade? Or are there smarter ways of handling it?