Author Topic: Bulk transfer or editing of images  (Read 4000 times)

Offline alevene

• View Profile
Bulk transfer or editing of images
« on: September 07, 2016, 04:47:58 PM »
I am rebuilding our site by hand, as the export/import routine does not work properly. Some images were linked, some were not. I copied the images folder before the import with poor results.

Is there a way to bulk add images to a range of products to avoid the manual unlinking of non-existing images after the "restore" from each product. Then delete the non-images from the media manger and finally ... bulk edit from the product list to apply the same images to a number of product variations, each being a separate line item?

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Bulk transfer or editing of images
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 01:35:35 AM »
Hello.

I see a lot of your posts where you talk about tech problems. I suggest you to find some technician to make upgrade properly. Partial backup restore will give you much more problems in the future and some features may not work.
Anyway to bulk add images into product use CSV import. Please see example here   :) http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/tools/import.html#Example3:insert 

Offline alevene

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2016, 05:05:44 PM »
I'll try this out, but I suspect that a manual rebuild and using the original files is the best way to be sure of resolving the fundamental problem... the system won't update newer than 1.2.6 and the restore doesn't work properly.

As an example, I downloaded the image folder and manually removed every single cosmetic image as these images were cross-linked to the actual product images. In other words, the thumbnails displayed the correct images but the web view showed some cosmetic products.

I downloaded the new 1.2.8 installation files and searched for every .jpg file before uploading to the web server. It was full of cosmetic product images. I don't know why that, when a new site is created and you specially deselect a sample site, it does not delete all of the images or at least keep them in a separate folder for uploading if a demo site is wanted. I think that a site without samples should be that, devoid of non-utility jpgs.

I even renamed the /system/config.php so I could rename the /images/thumbnails/18 folder and replace it with an uploaded /18 folder set without any cosmetic images to see what would happen. I then renamed the config file back to the original. When viewing the web pages after, it still showed cosmetics and I don't have time to experiment any longer.

Although the original site was developed manually and didn't have a cross linking problem, an imported site does.

There is no need to answer, as if the backup/restore import system doesn't work properly and it's much quicker to just build from scratch.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2016, 02:42:03 AM »
Hi.

AbanteCart is not just files. Your images paths stored in the Database, image files stored in the /resources folder. Also to speed up your website AbanteCart create differently sized thumbnails images and store them in the image/thumbnails folder and save also paths in the Cache (to speed up site as much more)

Please note mixing files from different AbanteCart versions will broke your site. Ask someone to help you update from 1.2.5 to 1.2.6 or export your product/order/customers via CSV from 1.2.5 to newly installed 1.2.8

Offline alevene

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2016, 08:47:02 AM »
I am aware of the linkage between the MySQL database and the images. The underlying problem is that the upgrade system allowed an upgrade from 1.2.5 to 1.2.6 but would not upgrade to 1.2.7.

I am in the process of rebuilding by hand and am planning to just import the customers/orders and so on but nothing else. The entire 1.2.8 system, except for the customers will be built from scratch as the "upgrade" process didn't work, not does the backup/install to a new build, either 1.2.6 or 1.2.8.

In other words, the really good AbanteCart has an Achilles heal. It's the backup/restore system as upgrades are "cross you fingers and hope"  upgrades. Even the instructions are to upgrade to a test system, as I believe that the developers don't trust it either.