Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: USPS Error  (Read 8908 times)

Offline digitalt

• View Profile
USPS Error
« on: September 21, 2016, 08:15:02 AM »
I know this has been hashed over, but I have read all the suggestions here and across the internet and tried everything and USPS keeps returning the infamous

Error: No Shipping options are available. Please contact us for assistance!

Here's what I have done:

Weight Classes  Pound = 1  Ounces = .0625
Weight is pound universally through the whole site
All products use pound and if an item weighs 3 oz it has a weight of .25
All localization has been set to All Locations sitewide
I have username and password for Web Tools
All domestic services have been selected
Dimensions don't matter because USPS returns minimum size for stated weight(or at least it's supposed to)

Any other place I might look or things I might try?  USPS API has been a thorn in my side for 15 years and before I just gave up and used UPS because there API works, but for fishing tackle it's just to expensive.

No matter what I try I keep getting this error.  Could it be that there is an SSL error from USPS?  I do have SSL so I'm wondering if this could be it.  Although on my local test server I don't have SSL and still get the same error.  I set up UPS on my local server(192.168.0.4) and it works perfect so I don't think it's that.

It's a shame USPS makes it so hard. I know others opt for flat rate, per item, weight based, or free shipping simply because they can't get USPS working. And some are well established companies not using Abantecart that pay for their IT work and have decided it's not worth the hassle.

Again, maybe I'm missing something staring at me.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: USPS Error
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2016, 08:44:56 AM »
Dimensions don't matter because USPS returns minimum size for stated weight(or at least it's supposed to)

Please set product dimensions. Also if USPS work on local server same settings should work online too. For the SSL issue check for errors in server and AbanteCart logs

Offline digitalt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2016, 08:53:48 AM »
Are these dimensions of actual product or the box it would ship in.  Most of my products are flat. So for example a dimension would be 1" x 6" x 1"?  Now for my shipping box, typical would be 6" x 6" x 6".

****Gave all products dimensions on test server and still get the same error.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 09:01:59 AM by digitalt »

Offline bburgess7

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2016, 09:45:34 AM »
Can you send the raw XML call that is causing the error (with username removed)?

Thanks.

Offline digitalt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 03:22:17 AM »
Can you send the raw XML call that is causing the error (with username removed)?

Thanks.

And this would be found where?

Been doing some testing and this is a weight issue.  If I set everything system wide to either pounds or ounces and adjust weight classes and product weight accordingly, it throws the error.  If I mix weight classes the error is package exceeds 70lbs. I'm working with an item that weighs 10.25 oz. with a quantity of 7 pcs in the cart.

Weight classes when default system and usps weight is pound
Pound = 1
Ounce = .0625

Weight classes when system and usps is set to ounces
Pound = 16
Ounce = 1

According to the USPS extension, weight must be calculated in pounds

And to make matters worse, USPS is doing an API update in a few days and in Jan 2017 all legacy calls will be obsolete and not work anymore. So if there is any legacy in this extension, it will globally break.  Gotta love the Postal Service.

Ever onward with testing.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 04:59:24 AM by digitalt »

Offline digitalt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 06:18:58 AM »
I saw this in another post and want to try it with my problem.  Where would I put $this->log->write($request); in /extensions/default_usps/storefront/model/extension/default_usps.php  to write to the error log?  What line?

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:38:51 AM »
Try put after $request variable

Offline digitalt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 07:04:09 AM »
Thanks, I'll give it a try. 

I did find the problem though. Parcel Post is the one giving the error. For ALL shippers except very large ones like Amazon and eBay, Parcel Post/Parcel Select is no longer an option. Parcel Select is a negotiated price with the shipper. We as small shippers would use Retail Ground and I haven't fully looked at pricing for that service.  I had it working for a while but had to change some language in definitions and core extension files.

The other thing with USPS is it returns inflated prices for First Class. I set a product to 1 oz to get a price and USPS returned $0.68. Not good when 1 oz is $0.47 right now I think.

Like I originally stated, USPS has been a thorn in my side for 15 years.  Cheapest shipping out there but a pain to implement properly.