Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: How to add Shipping Insurance to every order  (Read 4060 times)

Offline petroglyphs

• View Profile
How to add Shipping Insurance to every order
« on: November 23, 2016, 07:53:23 AM »
None of the US based shipping extensions take into account the value of the items in the order.

We never ship anything without full insurance so I am going to be charged $1 for every $100 in value by FedEx for example. The FedEx shipping extension only quotes the shipping cost and does not add in the cost of the insurance.   On a $1000 item I will lose $10 on every shipment this way.

How can I add the insurance value to the shipping fee or if that won't work, as a separate charge at checkout based on the tota value of the order at 1%? 

I don't want to add this price into the product price myself - I want it added at checkout with the description that it is shipping insurance.

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
Re: How to add Shipping Insurance to every order
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 11:48:12 PM »
There are some shipping extensions in MarketPlace that have that feature

http://marketplace.abantecart.com/fedex_integration

http://marketplace.abantecart.com/ups_integration

USPS will have it on the next version update.

There are manual links there so you can see how it sets up -  it uses the order total to calculate the insurance fee.

Offline petroglyphs

• View Profile
Re: How to add Shipping Insurance to every order
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 09:10:30 PM »
I was able to add a percentage fee at checkout using Handling Fee which basically takes care of the insurance, since FedEx charges about 1% of the value of the declared value.

I renamed Handling Fee to Shipping Insurance. Using 1.25% gets the total of the shipping fee plus the added insurance close enough to the actual amount I will be charged by the carriers.