Author Topic: Importing new products recommended / required fields plus product ID questions  (Read 4763 times)

Offline petroglyphs

• View Profile
What are the recommended fields when importing new products?

and

What are the required fields when importing new products?

Additionally

How do you handle all the columns that reference the product id when there is no product id yet? If I leave this blank it generates errors when trying to import.

Examples:

• product_descriptions[0].product_id
  • products_to_categories[0].product_id
  • products_to_categories[1].product_id
  • products_to_stores[0].product_id
I have tried 6 times to import new products with no success. I found nothing about this in the manual and I am pretty sure that is what is causing the errors when I try to import new products.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:23:43 AM by petroglyphs »

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Offline petroglyphs

• View Profile
I did read that and followed the instructions. I saw no mention of how to import the requested fields (product description, product category etc.) when there is not yet a product ID assigned. Without the product ID (which was being assigned at import so I could not put it in the required column) the import failed.

Should I create an additional column for these fields like the one used to create a new product ID with the header action with insert below it so that the import will work where a product ID is required to import those particular fields?

What I ended up doing that did finally work was to import the product with the bare minimum information and THEN add things like Categories, Descriptions etc. and re-import.

No matter what I tried if importing new products that needed to have a product ID assigned to them, the import failed when I had data in the category, description and other fields.

If you could point me to the exact text that tells how to do this I would appreciate it. I have read the documentation several times and cannot find it.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 07:56:23 AM by petroglyphs »

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Hello, petroglyphs.

Please look at docs again http://docs.abantecart.com/pages/tools/import.html#Example2:insert
There is an example CSV file with fields required to the success import. Please download it and see it structure.
If your products are new and have not id yet the columns with product_id are not needed

Offline petroglyphs

• View Profile
Thanks. I finally understand what was needed. The columns that contain the product ID must be REMOVED. I was using an export CSV from my store that contained those columns and thought they needed to be there.

Are there any advantages to using TABs vs Commas for the delimiter in the CSV file?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 06:35:51 AM by petroglyphs »

Offline petroglyphs

• View Profile
Is this field required to import products or should the column be removed since there is no product ID yet?

product_descriptions[0].language_id

« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 08:52:37 AM by petroglyphs »

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Is this field required to import products or should the column be removed since there is no product ID yet?

product_descriptions[0].language_id

This column about language ID you have installed and enabled in your installation