Author Topic: Such a nice package, if I could just conquer IMAGES, which sucks  (Read 27643 times)

Offline pete

• View Profile
Such a nice package, if I could just conquer IMAGES, which sucks
« on: November 25, 2012, 08:46:19 PM »
After using OpenCart for 5 years or so, installing many scripts for my hosting clients and running several quite successful sites of my own, I decided to make a move to AbanteCart.

Must say, I like so much of it, but one of the major reasons I was looking for something beside OC was their image manager is terrible. So, I install AbanteCart, spend several hours playing around, making some settings, adding a basic option to see how they go, etc. Then I add a product. Everything going great, until it comes to the images.

I've got loads of images. I wholesale mobile phones and tablets to Ebay and Amazon sellers and they want to see the front, sides, open and closed back, accessories, port views and even the retail boxes. That's a lot of images for each product. But, with OC I could upload a directory of just Product A's images under a logical directory and folder, such as phones/ProductA.

Now all I see is some indiscriminate numbered folders. How do I upload to them? And once I do, how do I know what is where. There's a dozen or so folders from the demo, with no indication what they contain. To find one specific image I have to look in a dozen folders? And to add a couple of new views of ProductA that already has images somewhere, how to I keep them together?

From the start of computers everything revolves around logic. If there is one thing I am not, it's a coder, but I sure can't see any logic whatsoever in the image management here.

What am I missing?

Since I also supply carts to others, I have all of my images in folders and sub-folders that can all be loaded at one FTP session, over and done with. This system is a nightmare, unless I've been toking a bit to much and can't understand the logic of it.

Please explain what I'm missing. I'd love to start using your scripts. I'll install an average of one OC site per week, I'm ready for a change.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: Such a nice package, if I could just conquer IMAGES, which sucks
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 05:03:20 AM »
Hi.
Nice to read your post:) Thanks.

well...  Please, read this http://www.abantecart.com/document_wiki/index.php/Resource_Library_System first.
We designed RL for separating some media files as objects from products, categories etc. Any "resource" can be used by anything you want. In basic functionality resources can be mapped to products, categories, brands(manufacturers), but you can create your own extension with your own objects, for ex. some gift cards or something like that and map it with image, music file or video. it's  main idea -  media file("resource") is entity of Abantecart engine.

About folders. Every resource have name and path. Both of them stores in database.  Name is  filename thet you upload. Path - name of it on filesystem. When you ask resource of some product (i mean php-code ), ARecource class will give you everything what you want about resources which mapped to resource object.
When you upload some file into RL you creates resource with new resource_id. That number takes for path to original file of "resource".
 (All resource-files placed in it's own directories with named by resource_id number. if you want  can look in the code how it works more detailed. core/lib/resource_manager.php)
Also, we have used this feature in the migration tool (menu->system->data->migration Tool).
If you run it all images of OC will import as resources with type "image" and map to products.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline pete

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 11:42:59 AM »
Thank you for the rapid response, I did not know if I would get one or not.

But most of it went clear over my head. I am sorry, I do not understand. You talk about php and files. I am not a coder, I simply want to add images to my products.

I want to be able to have product A and add 6 images by opening a folder called productA, not some meaningless number. And I don't want to have to sort through 40 pages of images to do it, either.

What do I have to do to Click on the + button on the Product Media page and under images show different folders, not every image on the server?

How do I get to just ProductA images?

I have uploaded one folder of images, but it does not show up. Which directory on the server should I upload the folder containing images, as there are several. Where should the initial folder go so it is picked up for thumbs and such?

Also, out of 6 or 8 of the first images I did upload into the general Images section, half were "too large". Again, these are images I am using on half a dozen or more OC sites (and others) with no problem. Am I going to have to re-size half my images?

What is the maximum file size for jpg images?

I hate to make an issue out of this, like I am giving you a hard time, but I do like so much about the script, I'd love to use it. But I am not a coder and do not wish to ever edit a file, although I will maybe go into a language file or something simple like that. But code? No way, I am a USER, not a coder.

I don't mind playing around a bit, but I do have a deadline and would like to get this going with your cart.

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 06:48:43 AM »
Thank you for the rapid response, I did not know if I would get one or not.

But most of it went clear over my head. I am sorry, I do not understand. You talk about php and files. I am not a coder, I simply want to add images to my products.

I want to be able to have product A and add 6 images by opening a folder called productA, not some meaningless number. And I don't want to have to sort through 40 pages of images to do it, either.

What do I have to do to Click on the + button on the Product Media page and under images show different folders, not every image on the server?
hm...
You want to switch on another product on RL dialog? i dont understanding you.
we have no any "folders" in RL-dialog. RL is logical storage.
How do I get to just ProductA images?
What you mean "get"? php-code?
In RL-dialog click on tab with product name and you'll get all images of product.

I have uploaded one folder of images, but it does not show up. Which directory on the server should I upload the folder containing images, as there are several. Where should the initial folder go so it is picked up for thumbs and such?
Your files it's just files into directory. To become "resource" you need write information of this into database. Path and name of file.
We have migration tool for this. It automatically takes file and write it in directory tree and makes writes into database.
If you want to store files in your own directory tree you need to use export/import  section.
Every resource may have any path inside resource directory . You just need to write it path into database correctly.
If i see right:
1. You can copy files into resource/image directory
2. create well formatted file with correct pathes for files and fill it into system->data->export/import .
but ii think it's painful way and takes a lot of time.

Thumbnails creates on-the-fly into image/thumbnails directory. You can clean it manually and it's will recreates after request of image.
One resource image can have few thumbnails with different sizes.

Also, out of 6 or 8 of the first images I did upload into the general Images section, half were "too large". Again, these are images I am using on half a dozen or more OC sites (and others) with no problem. Am I going to have to re-size half my images?

What is the maximum file size for jpg images?
it depends on upload_max_size directive in your php.ini. Try to read about this here http://www.php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.upload-max-filesize
Also file_uploads and post_max_size. If you don't want to digg into this - ask your hosting provider or try to find phpinfo page in your CPanel and look there.
If you fill files manually, for ex via ftp, filesize have no limitation.

I hate to make an issue out of this, like I am giving you a hard time, but I do like so much about the script, I'd love to use it. But I am not a coder and do not wish to ever edit a file, although I will maybe go into a language file or something simple like that. But code? No way, I am a USER, not a coder.

I don't mind playing around a bit, but I do have a deadline and would like to get this going with your cart.
― Charles Dickens

Offline pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 11:27:51 AM »
Sorry, we simply are not communicating.

I have no idea what you are saying. Everything I add ends up in one huge list when I go to add an image. I simply do not understand what is perfectly clear to you.

I guess it's back to OC.

I like what you offer, but the images are just confusing.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »
Let me try to clarify.

In AbanteCart, you do not need to upload images if you use Resource Library. You can drag batch of images from your computer into resource library window and images will be loaded into system and located in appropriate directory. This is build based on optimized directory and file naming approach.
This is much simpler than FTP approach.

Think of it as if you use itunes to organize your music. You do not ever deal with actual files. :)

If you want to upload images with traditional FTP (in case of large amount of images) you can still do that.
In this case, you need to use Import/Export tool (import in this case).
First you FTP images with some sort of organizational pattern and next you build CSV (excel)  import file with your images

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:13:54 PM by abantecart »
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline pete

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 09:37:58 PM »
That is more clear than before, but I've wiped it all and gone back to OC.

Sorry to have wasted your time.

Offline Nimitz1061

• No matter where you go, there you are...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 10:43:27 AM »
This would seem to be much simpler than an FTP based approach, but I would ask, for what value of simpler, and at what cost?

The FTP based approaches I've used before involve a file base name being fed into the database with the object to which it should be attached.  The relationship is simple and clear.  While it requires some additional knowledge on the part of the store operator it allows the image data to be uploaded at the same time as the basic product or category data with no knowledge of database relationships whatsoever. 

In the course of using this approach, the operator must gain some awareness of how the file system works.  As files are uploaded, they periodically are exposed to the listing of directory contents - thus affording some review of the files present.  In fact, I've managed to discover the presence of hack files because of this approach.  It is one element of a layered approach to site security.

I have also used in in both batch and single item processing as a developer and store operator with minimal investment in time expended.  SQL selection is straightforward for developers, and completely irrelevant to the store operator.

The approach currently implemented in Abantecart does appear to reduce the need for FTP operations.  Nice thing from a security standpoint is that it does not require the store operator to possess credentials, thus limiting their access to the store code.  But, neither does it afford the file system review opportunities using FTP brings to the table.  Bit of a wash there.

It does however, require much more awareness of database structure and content in the course of batch processing using import files, as well as some significant increases in data storage and processing in the course of attaching resources previously loaded into the database to specific objects.  So, we're increasing web server load and server resource use to get this freedom from FTP as well as more complex data management system education requirements.

Additionally, the more 'primitive' approach allowed the store operator to control the image names used in image urls, which the current Abantecart system does not.  As the image name is used in calculating context scores by various search engines, this is an impediment to optimization in search performance.

Does the ability to control alt tag content which Abantecart offer overcome these changes?  Only time and observation of active live sites will tell......

Offline Amarbir

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 01:45:07 PM »
it depends on upload_max_size directive in your php.ini. Try to read about this here .php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.upload-max-filesize
Also file_uploads and post_max_size. If you don't want to digg into this - ask your hosting provider or try to find phpinfo page in your CPanel and look there.

Well,
      I am Fedup With The Image Restriction " Error: File is too big  " .I See That You Have a PHP.ini file in the main root directory of abantecart .Is This File Not Used And Overrides The php.ini file at hosting ? . Are we suppose to update that file or what even 66kb or more then12 kb files are not being uploaded man i hate this  .

PS : sorry but i am having a hard time here with your image rl

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 05:26:34 PM »
it depends on upload_max_size directive in your php.ini. Try to read about this here .php.net/manual/en/ini.core.php#ini.upload-max-filesize

Well,
      I am Fedup With The Image Restriction " Error: File is too big  " .I See That You Have a PHP.ini file in the main root directory of abantecart .Is This File Not Used And Overrides The php.ini file at hosting ? . Are we suppose to update that file or what even 66kb or more then12 kb files are not being uploaded man i hate this  .

Please check menu system-settings->system item
"Resource Library Upload Max File Size, kB"
You will see both limits of size there.. your config limit and  upload_max_size at right of it.
― Charles Dickens

Offline Amarbir

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2013, 02:55:59 AM »

Well,

Please check menu system-settings->system item
"Resource Library Upload Max File Size, kB"
You will see both limits of size there.. your config limit and  upload_max_size at right of it.

Sir ,
     I could Find The Resource File Size Here But I Cannot Find "My Config Limit " .Also Whats The Reason To Have 12kb As Default ? .

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2013, 06:58:33 AM »
Sir ,
     I could Find The Resource File Size Here But I Cannot Find "My Config Limit " .Also Whats The Reason To Have 12kb As Default ? .
12kb? :o
i looked into install.sql and see
('system', 'config_upload_max_size', '16000');
it's mean 16Mb by default
― Charles Dickens

Offline Amarbir

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2013, 09:39:18 AM »
Sir ,
12kb? :o
i looked into install.sql and see
('system', 'config_upload_max_size', '16000');
it's mean 16Mb by default

Well,
 it a bug or what .When i am there and see this "Resource Library Upload Max File Size, kB " It had 12 written there this clearly means it was 12kb .Yes i could not upload anything more then this size .Now i changed that to 1024 ,That means 1 mb max file photo size and it works .I did my AbanteCart cart installation with auto installed in cpanel .

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 06:48:50 AM »

Well,
 it a bug or what .When i am there and see this "Resource Library Upload Max File Size, kB " It had 12 written there this clearly means it was 12kb .Yes i could not upload anything more then this size .Now i changed that to 1024 ,That means 1 mb max file photo size and it works .I did my AbanteCart cart installation with auto installed in cpanel .

probably your hosting provider have cause to set this value in it's cpanel.
― Charles Dickens

Offline Amarbir

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2013, 08:56:05 AM »

Well,

probably your hosting provider have cause to set this value in it's cpanel.

no ,
 in cpanel its 64mb .i sed softaculous to install abantecart .i know more bugs also shall i tell you