Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Tax Rate by County (FL)  (Read 4054 times)

Offline jaseible

• View Profile
Tax Rate by County (FL)
« on: April 25, 2017, 03:12:42 PM »
Hi-
I have been searching for a way to do this, and have seen a few threads on this topic, but with no clear cut solution.

I need to charge sales tax to customers in Florida - where I am based.  Florida's individual counties each have their own rates, and I need to charge the customer the rate in their county.  It seems like I can only make zones and locations based on country and state - not county or anything more specific (have seen other threads where they need it by city even).

Am I missing something, or is this not able to be done?  I saw one thread where someone charged customers the max in their state.  If I did that I would end up charging some customers 7.5% or 8% when they are only really 6%.

Any help is really greatly appreciated. I have spent so much time on something that either has a solution (that I am missing) or maybe can't be accomplished.

Thank you!

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Tax Rate by County (FL)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2017, 04:03:39 PM »
Are you saying that Florida retail tax is different per county? Location for tax purpose is based on country/state only.

“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2017, 04:53:14 PM »
Do you refer to Highlands County?

http://www.taxrates.com/state-rates/florida/cities/lorida/

I can think of condition based on zip codes.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline jaseible

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 02:48:51 PM »
Yes, in FL the retail tax rate can be 6%, 6.5%, 7%, 7.5%, or 8% based on which county you live in.
I thought location for tax was only by Country and State as far as I could tell, so thanks for the reply.

Offline jaseible

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 02:52:38 PM »
It is not only Highlands county, it is about 60 different counties that have their own tax rates.

I haven't seen any conditions based on zip code available?  And if so, it would be so incredibly tedious to add thousands of zip codes and locations.
I don't understand how this isn't an available extension or option.  Others must have this problem too?

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 06:04:28 PM »
I think Avatax will be a solution for you. We have an integration that is in development. PM if you are interested for us to install it for you.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help

Offline behold

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 11:23:21 AM »
I have the same issue for tax rates based on county/zip codes in Ohio - with hundreds of zip codes.

I'm not an coder, but I imagine a table of zip codes/tax rates could be uploaded to the database? Assuming this is an option, would further coding be required? in other words once the tax zones are created how does the checkout process know to pull the tax into the cart based on the customers zip code?

BTW i'm using weight-based-shipping only.

Thanks in advance for any guidance