Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Country localization issues  (Read 5238 times)

Offline castigous

• View Profile
Country localization issues
« on: May 19, 2017, 12:39:48 PM »
Hi!

I have already activated the correct settings (Country, Zones, currency) for my country and deactivated the ones that are for USA or anywhere else in the world. Spite of that, on the checkout page the customer still has to choose some things that I assumed were already chosen for him being that they are deactivated on the backend of AbanteCart:

- He/she has to choose Country / State

- He/she has to choose a ZIP or postal code –which we don´t generally manage in Colombia and there is almost nobody here who knows their own ZIP.

Is there a way to work around this?

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Country localization issues
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 04:39:48 AM »
Hi.

How do you deliver your products if your customer will have not way to tell you country Region (district) and postal code?

Offline castigous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 12:33:49 PM »
Thank you!

We only sell inside the country so what I meant is that when in the Checkout stage, we would like this shipping info to be filled ONLY by the info that the customer put when creating the account and is in the client´s account data.

If that´s not possible and checkout page absolutely needs to ask again for this info anyway, we would like it that at least it wouldn´t ask for ZIP as that is something that addresses in my country don´t have and carrier companies don´t ask for.
Asking for it could create some confusion in the customer as he/she wouldn´t be sure how to fill this info appropriately.

Maybe could there be a way to autofill the ZIP info with zeros? and the checkout page could have this already filled and maybe greyed-out?

Thanks!

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 01:15:18 AM »
Hello.

When your customer register and fill all required data this is used as default address in checkout. Of course customer able to modify address or add new etc.

Offline castigous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 04:29:02 AM »
Thanks!

It fills most of the address info but fails to fill the ZIP code which is the one would confuse/trip most people here.

Can it get somehow eliminated from being asked the ZIP? Or at least auto-fill it somehow?

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2017, 07:24:53 AM »
Well.. to avoid core file modification fill in zipcode with some simple javascript.
But this is not a best solution
Code: [Select]
<script>
    window.onload = function() {
      document.getElementById('AccountFrm_postcode').value = '0000';
    };
  </script>

Offline llegrand

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2017, 09:16:25 AM »
Interestingly  the Colombian Postal service seems to use postal codes -  here's the link http://codigopostal.gov.co/codigos-postales-nivel-nacional

Another idea -  you could change the xml  for zip code -  (use the Language Definitions in Admin) something like ZipCode, can be 00000

Offline castigous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »
Hi Ilegrand and thanks for your input.

ZIP or postal codes exist but they are not needed for sending/receiving anything which means that most of the population (99%) don´t know anything about it even for their own residence ZIP --the carriers here never asks for it and the address is good enough.

Some people know that a ZIP of five numbers can be used (usually 00000) but most people don't know it so they could get stuck at the checkout page for not knowing this info that is not relevant here but in the end would be unable to complete the order.

Now the 2nd part of what you've said intrigues me. You mean put in the translation something like:
Zip code (Ingrese 00000 si no está seguro) or in english: Zip code (Enter 00000 if not sure).

Maybe that could work, I'll try it!

Thanks!