Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Changing the CSS isn't work  (Read 5093 times)

Offline janwillem

• View Profile
Changing the CSS isn't work
« on: July 31, 2017, 04:50:36 PM »
Hi there,

I try to change my Stylesheet but the store do not change.
What did I do wrong?

I change it by using Fillezilla.
This is the location is use: /domains/tennissmash.nl/public_html/storefront/view/default/stylesheet

Kind Regards,

Jan Willem

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
Re: Changing the CSS isn't work
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 12:25:04 AM »
1 - make sure you are editing the proper css file. 
If you are modifying the default template, edit the stylesheet found in the root/storefront/view/default/stylesheet/ folder. 
If you created a template clone extension to modify, edit the stylesheet found in the root/extensions/yourclone/storefront/view/yourclone/stylesheet/ folder

2 - After you make a change to the css file, save it.  Then clear cache in your browser, and refresh the page.  In Chrome, if you are using the Developer Tools CSS Inspector extension, it will never use cache on a tab running Developer Tools, so you save the clear-cache step while working. 

Usually, clearing browser cache is a reliable way to see saved CSS edits. 

If this does not work, then best practice will be to clear server-side AbanteCart Cache under the System>Cache settings of the Admin Control panel. 

lastly, if you make changes to a tpl file, you will find that you often cannot see the results of the change until you clear AbanteCart cache. 

IOW - clearing browser cache is good enough for most CSS editing, and this step is automated by Chrome when Developer tools are on.  Clearing System cache is susually required to see the results of tpl file edits. 

HTH. 

Offline janwillem

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 04:13:27 PM »
Hi there,

Thanks for youre answer.
I've try to do the things but it doesn't work.

Other suggestions? I didn't make a clone, ive install AbanteCart by using Softaculous is that maybe the problem?

Kind Regards.

Jan Willem

Offline Knockishee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »
A small tip.............

When changing things, open another window in firefox private window. The private window dosnt cache anything so when you refresh it you should see changes.

I am very new to css but this is how i do things at the moment.
I use firefox dev tools, chrome browser also has similar. use the inspector tool to highlight what you want to change. this will bring the css selector into a box on the right of the tools. make changes in the developer window as this dosnt alter files.

For most tweaks you want to look for selectors in the css files and not the main 'inline' element.

When a change works using these tools, hover the mouse over the filename, it will tell you exactly the path to the file and the line number. go find this file and edit it by copying the changes you made in the dev tools. I hope this is clear, if not i might do a pic tutorial on how I do it.

Offline janwillem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 11:45:55 AM »
Thanks alot.
Changing the css is hard for me, im a new one :P but i dont give up.
Can you send me a pic tutorial?

Offline Knockishee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 01:56:38 PM »
I am working on the the rest of my site first, there are some tutorials on you tube, search for firefox dev tools tutorials. Once i get a chance i will post my experience here incase it helps someone else. Also look in the tips sections of the forum, there are some good css snipits.

I too am a noob, but css is like most things, its not a spectator sport, you got to dive in, another tip........... MAKE A COPY of the theme!! I found the process of installing the dev tools traumatic, but it was worth doing