Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: Problem with canonical urls  (Read 8787 times)

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
Problem with canonical urls
« on: September 08, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »
www.inspired-designco.com

My site is pretty simple, 4 "levels".

Level 1 = Home page = Category List
Level 2 = Product Listing
Level 3 = Product Page
Level 4  = Cart/Checkout/etc

On Level1 Home page, you choose a Category which takes you to Level2 Product Listing where you choose a Product which takes you to Level3 Product Page. 

So the url for any product page should be sitename/listname/product, or "level1/level2/level3".

There are no Product links on the Level1 Home Category page.  You cannot jump from Level1 to Level3. 

So there should be no such thing as a level1/level3 url.  My AC site code should never generate a level1/level3 url. 

I have just learned that googlebot indexed all of my product pages as level1/level3 urls. 

How did I learn this? 
I asked google support why the googlebot was only indexing thumbnail images but no fullsize product images from my site. 
The support team explored my site and told me that the first problem they found was that none of my product pages were being indexed because all of my product pages were duplicates of pages that the bot already indexed. 

Let's use aprons for example. 

Go to home page.  This will be the level1 url:
https://www.inspired-designco.com/index.php?rt=index/home

Choose the Apron category.  This will take you to the proper level1/level2 url:
https://www.inspired-designco.com/better-bib-linen-chefs-apron

Then choose Navy-colored apron.  This will take you to the proper level1/level2/level3  url:
https://www.inspired-designco.com/better-bib-linen-chefs-apron/better-bib-linen-chefs-apron-navy

Now, go to this link:
https://www.inspired-designco.com/better-bib-linen-chefs-apron-navy
You cannot access this url from any link or page on my site.
The only way to access this url is to manually enter it into the address bar, or click the convenient hot link I provided above. 
This is a level1/level3 url. 
It should not exist. 

Google tells me that it indexed all of my product pages as this type of level1/level3 url. 

Google tells me that the reason I cannot find any of my expected level1/level2/level3 Product Page urls indexed on Google is because the bot considers those L1/L2/L3 urls to be duplicates of the L1/L3 urls that it already indexed, and that this "canonical problem may be contributing to the absence of indexed fullsize images which only appear on your Level3 pages". 

They are correct about the fullsize image location: the only place to see fullsize product images is on a product page.

I checked my xml sitemap generated by https://xmlsitemapgenerator.org/sitemap-generator.aspx
To my surprise, all of the product page urls in my sitemap are of the incorrect type of level1/level3 urls. 

So I used a different sitemap generator to create another sitemap: www.xml-sitemaps.com
This generator output three types of Product Page urls!  They are:
Correct type: level1/level2/level3 url.
Incorrect type: level1/level3 url.
Strange new incorrect type: level1/new-weird-level2/level3 url.

The strange new url is https://www.inspired-designco.com/id-inspired-design-co/proper-stuff-pillow-herringbone .

I have no idea how the sitemap crawler came up with the red part.  But the link actually works!
Even stranger, Google has actually indexed that page!!
Enter this into your google search bar: "site:https://www.inspired-designco.com/id-inspired-design-co/proper-stuff-pillow-herringbone" 
You see?  That url has actually been indexed by Google!

There is no way for the site to create that url, and yet robots find it and index it instead of the desired and predictable L1/L2/L3 url that should be created during normal navigation around the site.  . 

Solutions:

I think its' possible to manually clean up a sitemap so that the map only features the desired L1/L2/L3 type of url for Product Pages, then submit the map and ask google to recrawl the site and hope that the duplicate content / canonical / weird urls problem vanishes. 
The clean-up will be a labor-intensive and time-consuming process, even for my small site.  Impossible for a large site. 

And there is no guarantee that it will work. 
A sitemap crawler identified and defined strange urls that should not exist.
Even if I clean up the xml sitemap by hand, there is no guarantee that the google bot won't find and index the same strange urls. 

So that leads to my questions.

Why is a bot crawling my basic AC site and coming up with urls that would otherwise never be created? 
There is no way for a site visitor doing normal navigation to create a level1/level3 url.  You have to go through level2 to see a level3 url.
Likewise, there is no way for a site visitor doing normal navigation to create a level1/red-text/level3 url.   

Did I do something wrong when I built this AC site? 
Is there some button or feature I need to set to avoid having all these different and undesired pathways to a Product Page?

Has anyone else encountered strange urls discovered by spiders?

What can I do to the back or front end so that bots do not discover strange, undesired urls?

Thx.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 03:51:59 PM by Geoffrey »

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
Re: Problem with canonical urls
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2017, 01:39:01 PM »
A partial explanation is that this problem stems from the old duplicate content problem inherited from open cart:

https://isenselabs.com/posts/how-to-solve-the-duplicate-content-issue-in-opencart

It's funny that so many "experts" are running AC sites and there is no mention of this problem on this forum. 
The only person so far that I have seen mention the probable best strategy for AC seo-urls is Nimitz1061: don't use them.

If you use AC seo-urls, AC is creating at least one additional pathway to each product page, which google does not like. 
Two pathways to the same content is known as "duplicate content". 
This lowers google's overall "confidence score" in your site, which lowers your "authority" rank, which lowers your actual index rank. 
Whether you like it or not.

With AC seo-urls enabled, a normal "native" product url should be long: category/list/product, or L1/L2/L3. 
But seo_url.php was written to create a truncated short url: category/product, or L1/L3.
This means the bot will see duplicate content when it crawls your site.  Every Product Page will have two urls: the long one and the short one. 

Here's the crazy part: AC then writes a rel="canonical" into the head of each product page that describes the new short url as the canonical url!

This is wildly counter-intuitive.

It tells search bots to index the non-native short L1/L3 url, which is the same as tellingthe bot to discard the actual site-created, user-navigated native L1/L2/L3 url because it is a link to duplicate data. 

If a visitor comes to your homepage, clicks a category, and then clicks a product within that category, they will be navigating to a url that is not indexed by google.  Think about that. 

All of your internal navigation takes visitors to un-indexed pages, thanks to the opencart problem of truncated urls and the canonical habit of AC which is to tell search bots that the canonical url is not the native url, but rather a new code-generated truncated url that doesn't get created by any form of navigation. 

Regarding the "red text" weird urls mentioned in OP, I still have no idea where they are coming from. 

Solutions:
1 - AC devs: tell me exactly how (in comprehensive, non-coder language and steps) to rewrite /storefront/model/tool/seo-url.php so that seo-urls are long-form L1/L2/L3 urls that match the natively created product page urls; AND, tell me exactly where and how to change the rel="canonical" head element to match the same native long-form url. 
The result of these changes will be that seo-urls become "longer" but they will match the url created by internal site navigation, and the canonical url described in the head of each product page will now also match the native url created by internal site navigation, and AC will no longer be confusing google and lowering the authority of all AC sites by specifying canonicals that don't match native product urls, and AC will no longer be confounding users who don't understand why sitemaps have two sets of urls to each product page or why google threw out real urls while indexing fake urls that themselves don't ever occur during normal site navigation.

2 - I disable seo-urls. 
The value of seo-urls is debated.  They don't help the bot.  The bot will index every page regardless of seo-urls.  They "look better" in the address bar.  I guess.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? 
Is Amazon harmed by its rather non-pretty product urls? 
Theoretically, breadcrumbs offer adequate location-and-page-awareness for site visitors. 
Theoretically, product meta tag keywords and descriptions will capture the eye of search-engine users who find a site in search results, which means that they won't necessarily be put off by the url in the search result, regardless of whether it is a pretty url.

My personal dilemma is this: i built the site and published it more than a month ago.  Googled indexed it all wrong thanks to AC seo-url flaws, and lowered my site authority because of it.  This took almost a month to occur.  Now I have to start over, and according to google, it may take months before all of the bad urls drop off, unless I use the remove url tool to remove all my pages.  But, if i remove all the bad urls and then put up a repaired sitemap and ask for a recrawl, the bot will still struggle to make sense of it all, because I basically just removed and then reinstalled all the same content, only with different urls, which makes me look like a spammer-site and therefore lowers my site authority even more. 

Niiice.

That's my beef Mr. AbanteCart. 

Coding an application that does stuff is never enough, not for any coder. 
The application has to do stuff that actually works in the real world. 
Or at least causes no harm. 

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:36:50 AM »
Hello.
Let me post few thoughts.
1. Your products can be assigned to one category, to several categories or did not assigned at all to any.
The valid product urls like www.domain/product_seo_key and can be accessed from blocks (specials,featured, bestsellers) and from search listing , breadcrumbs. All others urls also valid www.domain/category_seo_key/product_seo_key

2. in the 1.2.11 (beta testing now) if you enabled seo url the canonical meta tag will be on all product pages and will point google or any bot to www.domain/product_seo_key
So you can grab the code from source to see how to implement it https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src/tree/1.2.11

3. Free online seo urls generators is not the best way to create sitemap for google
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 01:38:22 AM by Basara »

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 09:21:33 PM »
Hello.
Let me post few thoughts.
1. Your products can be assigned to one category, to several categories or did not assigned at all to any.
The valid product urls like www.domain/product_seo_key and can be accessed from blocks (specials,featured, bestsellers) and from search listing , breadcrumbs. All others urls also valid www.domain/category_seo_key/product_seo_key

2. in the 1.2.11 (beta testing now) if you enabled seo url the canonical meta tag will be on all product pages and will point google or any bot to www.domain/product_seo_key
So you can grab the code from source to see how to implement it https://github.com/abantecart/abantecart-src/tree/1.2.11

This feature must already be in place on 1.2.10, because that is what is happening on my site already. 
Navigate from homepage to product page, and you will be at domain/category-seo-key/product-seo-key but the meta on that page will be domain/product-seo-key.
When I asked at GSC, the response was that my page meta was pointing google at a different page than the one i was on, and that the different page was identical to the one I was on, and that google considered this to be duplicate content. 

3. Free online seo urls generators is not the best way to create sitemap for google

Strange. 
If a noob builds a site with AC, the noob will eventually learn by reading on this forum that AC creates an html sitemap for site users but not an xml sitemap for bots.  The noob is encouraged by various threads and comments (by moderators on this forum) to access any number of available online sitemap builders, because a sitemap is simply a list of urls of the site, so the source is not important.  What is not said is that just about any sitemap builder will output a sitemap that has at least two different urls for identical content (three in my case, see red letter comments above), and that this will be a problem for search engine bots, therefore the noob might consider editing the sitemap to remove all of the urls to duplicate content before submitting the sitemap to GSC. 

This then leads to the decision of whether to keep the "organic / native" urls, or use the seo urls. 

None of this is mentioned in the docs or anywhere on this forum. 

I suspect Nimitz has the optimal solution.  Don't use seo urls. 

Importantly, until discourse like this is published, how will anyone ever know this stuff? 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:55:16 AM by Geoffrey »

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 01:20:09 AM »
Hi.

Thank you for the comments.
In upcoming 1.2.11 version already implemented canonical meta tag for product pages so duplicate content will be not a problem

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:45:34 PM »
Hello, & thanks. 

I looked through some of the new files on github, but did not recognize any files that modified seo url generation.  Maybe you can point me to a particular file. 

Another approach to my goal:

Can you tell me how to modify whatever php file that generates seo urls like "domain/product-seo-key",
so that it now generates a "domain/category-seo-key/product-seo-key" url?   

Shouldn't be too hard, I think.  I just don't know how to do it. 

My site doesn't use Specials, Bestsellers, Featured, New Product, or any other block to access products.  Only Category.
Therefore all product urls are domain/category/product.
If I make all my Category keys very short,
and if I make AC generate domain/category/product urls for seo urls, then I can reach my goal of having only one url indexed and navigated.

Thanks. 

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 01:48:51 AM »
Hello.

To modify php you need some skils in this area or hire a developer to help you.

I am not sure but think this will help you to reach 1 product = 1 page
https://marketplace.abantecart.com/google_sitemap_xml?keyword=sitemap&category_id=0

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 02:56:12 PM »
Hi, and thanks for your reply.

Hello.

To modify php you need some skils in this area or hire a developer to help you.

This isn't really true at all. 
I have 4 core mods, one of which Abantecart (the developer, not the app) helped me accomplish with a single post. 
He just said, "put this here, and change this to this." and I was done. 

The other 3 I figured out by myself, because sometimes it's just not that hard.

Somewhere in the code is a url name generator that picks a few components from a library and says "the new url will be this + that". 
I need to change the code so that it says "the new url will be this + those + that". 

Adding "those" to the equation is not a monumental task.
The user-selected category keywords already exist.  They are right next door to the product keywords.   

I'm a noob.  I created and linked a pretty decent site with this app, and I published solutions to every bottleneck I hit along the way. 
I can't say for sure, but I think I pointed out some legit code issues. 

I don't know where or how to add "those" to an seo-url. 
I think it's probably pretty easy to do, so that is why I asked. 
Can you just tell me how to do it? 

Comment for noobs:
If you edit core files, your edits will be overwritten by future updates.
No problem.
Just make a detailed list of each core mod, including line number, description, and pasted copy of the code you modified.
After each update, copy and paste your modded bit back into the core files you modified before the update. 

I am not sure but think this will help you to reach 1 product = 1 page
https://marketplace.abantecart.com/google_sitemap_xml?keyword=sitemap&category_id=0

Here are the hard lessons about xml sitemaps.  No noob will know these, or understand anything about them.  None of this information is available in AC docs or on this forum. 

You want google to index your site.
You want to give the google bot a convenient roadmap to how you would like the bot to travel through your site. 
You want to have your site images on the roadmap, so that the bot picks them up along them way. 
Google may or may not index urls on your sitemap. 
Google may or may not index urls that are not on your sitemap.
Sitemaps do not control the bots behavior.  They only give the bot a starting point.

Any sitemap that is good for google is good for Bing, and Bing bought Yahoo, and in the usa, there are no other search engines that matter except facebook. 
Read on the forum about meta for facebook. 

AC does not create a sitemap in a format that google understands.
So you have to make your own. 
Google can read a sitemap in txt format. 
IOW, you can just write a few urls in a text file using the syntax and format specified by google on their single, simple page that tells you how to write a sitemap, and then submit it with their submit and check sitemap button, and Bob's your uncle!
Or, you can use any number of free or paid online sitemap generators by simply typing your homepage url into their app and then downloading the sitemap they generate. 

Warning: don't just scan over a generated sitemap and think that you see all your pages and therefore it is good to go.  I did this. 
Then I uploaded it to google and google checked it and said that it was perfect and the bot took it and ran with it.   

That sitemap was over 1000 lines.  It had all page and all image urls. 
Unfortunately, it had duplicate urls for every product page because AC generated an seo-url for each product page that did not match the seo-url natively created by navigating the site.   
So I inadvertently sent google two-each of urls for identical content, which google considers to be spam. 

In the universe of Search Engine Rankings, you want to be "high".  Not "low".
Google has undisclosed parameters by which they rank sites, in effect giving each site an "authority" ranking. 
You want to be considered an authoritative source for the kind of content you are delivering, whether it is rocket science or fidget spinners. 
If google perceives spammy duplicate content, you lose "authority", plus they don't index the content they think is spammy. 
That's what happened to me.  I'm still trying to recover.  It takes months, which can make you feel like you need to pee all the time. 
Excuse me a moment.

Okay, I'm back. 
There is a 3rd way to get a sitemap: buy one from the AC marketplace. 
On principal, I don't do this. 
I have developed the impression that technical support for AC is somewhat lacking, especially for non-coders.
I feel that it is often displaced by invitations to buy support from devs or via extensions. 
It is important that I qualify my comments: 
AC is offered as an Open Source app for building an ecommerce site.
IMO - the app should be usable by anyone with reasonable skills to publish a functional site. 
IMO - it's not. 
I believe there are base level functions that have problems, and these problems are not addressed or supported other than invitations to buy support. 
IMO - there are many possible "secondary level" site features that are not essential to basic site function. 
These are the types of features I will always be willing to pay for.
My hang up is that it rankles me to have to pay for solutions to base level problems that prevent proper site function at the base level.
I anticipate that the developers will disagree and I am totally cool with that.
I'm just sharing a non-tech consumer perspective. 
If I am the only non-tech consumer that has this view of AC, then I am just a fly on the wall.
But if other non-tech consumers share my view, then the probability that non-tech consumers will use AC goes down. 

So let's get back to the paid AC sitemap extension linked above.
It will generate a sitemap. 
You will still need to check the map to determine which urls it is inviting googlebot to crawl, and whether it contains multiple urls to any same page.
Then you will need to check against the meta of each product page to determine whether the page urls in the sitemap match the page urls in page meta and also whether those match the url of the actual page you would like google to consider your "canonical" (preferred) page. 
If you get all three urls (sitemap, meta, actual) to match, then google will see a clean map and clean site with no apparent duplicate content. 
This is a huge step towards high search engine rankings.
So I don't see how the implementation of a "free" sitemap from a quality provider will differ much from implementation of AC's paid sitemap, unless the paid sitemap magically accomplishes all of this without need for review. 

This takes us to AC site structure.  I perceive two problems related search engine rankings of an AC site.

The first problem is a lack of user control on how AC generates seo-friendly urls. 
I'd like to be able to control this step so that I can be sure that the app is generating seo-urls that match native urls, which will mean that only one preferred url exists for each page (nav url = meta url), which will mean that crawlers have fewer urls to identify, which means that a crawler will add a url to the sitemap that matches the nav url which matches the meta url.  This basically eliminates the problem of duplicate urls for identical content. 

The second problem is images.
AC uses a resource library to manage image content delivery.  Various different thumbs and full-size and retina images are generated and delivered by the code. 
Each of these images has a nearly identical filename, differing only in a AAAxBBB pixel size designation tagged onto the end of each filename. 
Googlebot is able to identify all of these filenames and the images to which they are attached as duplicate images.  Duplicate content. 
The support staff at GSC told me so. 
Naturally, google only indexes one of them.  Not all of them. 
All of the sitemap crawlers I have tested can generate comprehensive lists of all the site images in their various sizes. 
None of the sitemap crawlers I tested generate lists of all full-size product images.  In fact, they only provide a url for one full-size image, which is the first image displayed in the image viewer on product pages.  The rest of the fullsize images are not listed on a sitemap at all. 
So we have duplicate content, and we lack any ability to control which of the duplicate items gets indexed. 

As a result, on my site the googlebot decided that the best image to index was the thumb image for each product on the product-listing page.  This is the page that is accessed by making a selection on the category page.  It is the page that precedes the actual product page. 
Furthermore, googlebot compared my product-listing pages to my product pages, and also compared my product pages to each other, and decided that the product pages did not present different enough content than the product listing pages or from each other, so it indexed zero product pages.   And zero full-size product images. 
Ouch. 

If you sell linen aprons in 4 different colors, it makes sense that your product descriptions and keywords for the 4 different products will be quite similar, differing only in COLOR descriptions. 
It seems apparent that google compared all four of my apron product pages to my apron product-listing pages, and decided that the product listing page was the only one it needed to index. 
Ouch.

Lessons from this:
1 - try to add more variation to your product descriptions, even when the only difference between products is color.
2 - do not use the same favorite apron image as the image for the product-listing thumb and also as the 1st image called by the product page image viewer.

My products are similar to products offered by hundreds (thousands?) of other online vendors.  These are my "competitors".

Due to the AC dynamics described above, my search rankings are lower than my competitors, and my image search results are small and cheap-looking compared to the big beautiful fullsize images that my competitors sites have in image search results. 
Ouch. 

"Experts" agree.  Image Search is becoming the venue of choice for the majority of online shoppers.  This is why google recently added the search toolbar to the top of the image search results page.  Y'know, that multi-colored bar that lets you easily refine your image search results to narrower categories of images.  They built and installed that feature because their metrics say that most shoppers will enter a search term and then click the rather obscure "Image" tab to start shopping.  Try it yourself.  It's a better way to shop.  Because shopping has always been a visual experience first. 

IMO - the AC system needs a few simple fixes (described here I hope) to greatly improve S E O. 

This brings us to "robots meta", which are meta tags that exist in the head of every page generated by AC.  (Is tag the right word?)
As we said earlier, sitemaps are a guide for googlebot, but not a ruleset.  Sitemaps do not control what googlebot does. 
There are meta commands available that DO control what googlebot does, and you can place these into the head section of various pages to actually control the behavior of the googlebot. 
Robots meta is a two-edged sword. 
Used conservatively, commands like noindex and noimageindex can be effective tools for managing how google indexes your site.
But google doesn't "like" noindex.  A few noindex commands is okay.  Many gives the impression that you are hiding content. 
Visit yoast or other expert seo sites to learn this yourself.  Overuse of noindex diminishes authority. 

For me, I think the optimal solution for my search engine problems is this:
1 - gain control over seo-url generation, then create a sitemap with urls that match seo-urls that match navigation urls.
2 - noimageindex the head of the category and product-listing pages.
3 - customize my sitemap so that the only image links in the map are the full-size version of the multiple product images.  No thumbs on the map.

Alt solution:
1 - same.
2 - same.
3 - remove the thumbs and image viewer from the product page, replace with a vertical stack of responsive fullsize images.  Google will then eagerly crawl each one because each is present on the page when it loads.   

Steps 2 and 3 are within my skill level.

I need to know how to do step 1.

Google's primary goal is to be the best index of online content. 
Therefore google loves rich content and beautiful images.
If you create a site with rich content and beautiful images, google will love to index your site and place it high in the search results for your stuff. 
Unless you look weird or spammy or redundant, in which case the bot will think you are spammy and you will suffer. 

Search Engine rankings are not the do-all end-all.
2/3 of site traffic comes from paid ads.
The other third comes from online word-of-mouth and search engine results.

I doesn't take any more time to build a truly Search Engine Optimized site than it takes to build a Search Engine Crippled site. 
So may as well get it right the 1st time, and then steer your focus to building word of mouth and buying ads. 

The purpose of this post is to point out the importance of making AbanteCart an app that automatically creates a site that is truly SEO,
and to perhaps contribute to a knowledge base on best practices for building an AC site. 

BTW - I type really fast.  Crazy fast. 
I know my posts are long, but i like to think that many of them contain usable information that may be of value to other AC consumers. 

If you are a noob and not sure where to start, go to Google Search Console.  Start reading. 

I need to know how to do step 1.

Thx.

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
Hi, I'm still working on this. 

I need to know how to change the seo-url generation file

so that the AC generated seo-url is domain/category-seo-key/product-seo-key.

instead of domain/product-seo-key.

Thx.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2017, 01:56:35 AM »
Hi, I'm still working on this. 

I need to know how to change the seo-url generation file

so that the AC generated seo-url is domain/category-seo-key/product-seo-key.

instead of domain/product-seo-key.

Thx.

Try to post in Customization help board. It is for posting questions about customization and development of new features

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2017, 09:21:02 PM »
This seems more like a support issue than a customization issue. 

If the user enables seo urls, AC will generate a url that differs from native navigation urls, and place that different url in the page meta.

This is never not going to be a canonical problem. 

Regardless of whether the user includes duplicate urls in the sitemap, the googlebot will still discover them, because they exist.

Google says that google doesn't like duplicate content. 

Experts say that duplicate content reduces site authority. 

In the present configuration, it is not a stretch to evaluate these AC features as seo flaws. 

Solution is simple: give the user control over generation of seo-urls, to the extent that the user is able to choose an seo-url structure that matches the most common navigation url structure, and then place that url in a sitemap and tell google that one single url is the canonical. 

Then everything will be smooth like butta.

I could ask this question again on the Customization board, but I don't understand how that would change the primary dynamic, which is that one of you 5 guys is either going to answer this question, or not.  Does it really matter which board the question gets repeated on? 

Thx. 

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 01:36:07 AM »
You miss my previous posts.

In AbanteCart 1.2.11 canonical tag present on product page when you enable SEO Urls. Google or any another search engine will read this tag and you will not have 'duplicates'