Author Topic: Form order Shipping address First on Top _Guest Checkout_Step 1  (Read 6472 times)

Offline AVS

• View Profile
Form order Shipping address First on Top _Guest Checkout_Step 1
« on: October 21, 2017, 02:06:32 AM »
Hi members,
It would helpful and great, if some one tell me how to modify Abantecart to display Shipping address form first on Top in the Guest Checkout_Step 1 page. If Billing address is different from shipping address, then the radio button click must show the billing form fields. This is opposite of  Abantecart present default checkout page_Step_1. Because many customers may prefer first to fill up shipping address and then select if billing address is same or not. I think the conversion rate in this setup would be good for me.

For developers, giving concrete solution for this must be a cakewalk. I am eagerly awaiting your responses.

Thanks
AVS    :)

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
Re: Form order Shipping address First on Top _Guest Checkout_Step 1
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 01:28:44 PM »
Hi, I have seen your posts on this topic. 

I'm no expert, but I think it is possible that you underestimate the complexity of this mod.   

Assuming that your customization work is being performed on a template extension, the following file will allow you to change the order of elements on the GS1 page:
/extensions/templatename/storefront/view/templatename/pages/checkout/guest_step_1.tpl. 

In that file, you will find blocks of code that relate to shipping address and billing address.  If you copy and paste the shipping block above the billing block, that would be the 1st step in reaching your goal. 

But then things get tricky. 

You will have to determine where and how the radio button function works in that file, and whether another file is also involved, and if so, how to carry your change through both files. 

Then you will have to consider the role of the related controller file:
/storefront/controller/pages/checkout/guest_step_1.php. 

The controller file will also have blocks of code that perform GS1 functions, and any change to the tpl file will likely require a corresponding change in the php file.

And vice versa.

Lastly, there is the matter of credit card checkout success. 

My AC site uses the Stripe extension.  A successful checkout requires that the customer enter a card number, exp date, and code, but not a billing address.  Card verification typically includes address and zip, so AC is apparently delivering the previously entered billing address data autonomously. 

Your mod will require that you ensure no interruptions to that process. 

Typically, ecommerce transactions are structured on the assumption that goods are shipped to billing address of the buyer.  The exception occurs when a buyer specifies that the goods be shipped elsewhere.  In the credit card processing industry, this exception is always a flag.  That's just how it works.

IMO - you may be overestimating the value of switching the structure of GS1, and underestimating the complexity of doing so.

Offline AVS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 10:44:02 PM »
Hi, I have seen your posts on this topic. 

I'm no expert, but I think it is possible that you underestimate the complexity of this mod.   

Assuming that your customization work is being performed on a template extension, the following file will allow you to change the order of elements on the GS1 page:
/extensions/templatename/storefront/view/templatename/pages/checkout/guest_step_1.tpl. 

In that file, you will find blocks of code that relate to shipping address and billing address.  If you copy and paste the shipping block above the billing block, that would be the 1st step in reaching your goal. 

But then things get tricky. 

You will have to determine where and how the radio button function works in that file, and whether another file is also involved, and if so, how to carry your change through both files. 

Then you will have to consider the role of the related controller file:
/storefront/controller/pages/checkout/guest_step_1.php. 

The controller file will also have blocks of code that perform GS1 functions, and any change to the tpl file will likely require a corresponding change in the php file.

And vice versa.

IMO - you may be overestimating the value of switching the structure of GS1, and underestimating the complexity of doing so.

Hi Geoffrey

Thank you for your reply with possible steps to achieve it with also telling me about the negative result probably that may arise while Credit card processing is done. I know it is complex to change the structure of AC and did not under estimate or over estimate anything regarding this,  but trying find a solution for this, seeking help from people like you as well as Devs (developers). For experts and Devs, it must be a cakewalk to do such modification without breaking the processing of payment gateway requirements.
Thanks Geoffrey for taking time to explain which would really be useful for me.

Awaiting reply from Devs and experts for the same.
Thanks
AVS  :)

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 06:21:03 PM »
For experts and Devs, it must be a cakewalk...

Why must it?

Offline AVS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 02:59:33 AM »
For experts and Devs, it must be a cakewalk...

Why must it?

"must be" is just a thought and casual word.  It does not mean they "Must Do it". I am seeking help from Devs  and all others here and people willing to help me can resolve this for me.  :)
Requesting someone to help me with the "Shipping" address display on top and Billing address field to show when radio button is clicked. Otherwise Billing address is same as shipping address. Eagerly awaiting for a solution. Thanks
AVS
 :)

Offline AVS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 10:25:11 PM »
Hi All,

Awaiting someone to give me solution to this. No reply yet and I again request Devs and knowledgeable persons to give me a solution.
Thanks
AVS  :(