Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: PayPal Express Bug  (Read 6498 times)

Offline Geoffrey

• View Profile
PayPal Express Bug
« on: November 09, 2017, 02:15:07 PM »
www.inspired-designco.com

When customer chooses PayPal Express Checkout, they are redirected to PP page for login etc.

The PP API transmits the customer name and address data back to AbanteCart for order confirm. 

While the customer is on their PP page, they can choose a different shipping address, like for a gift.

When this happens, the PP API transmits the wrong data back to AC:  it sends customer (billing) name + gift (shipping) address.  That is the first problem, and it is the biggest problem. 

You can see it yourself by going to my site and adding something to the cart, then choosing PP Express, then logging in to your PP account, then choosing a different shipping address on the PP page, then clicking Continue on the PP page, which will take you back to the Confirm page on my site where you will see the bug.  As long as you don't click the Confirm button, the transaction will not complete, so you don't have to actually buy something.  FYI - there is a 50 cent Test Product in the Reduced category. 

There are other related problems:

2 - For the AC storeowner, there is no indication that there is a problem with addresses.  This type of transaction looks like any other PP transaction: you get a name and address just like normal, but you have no way of knowing that the address is a gift address with a wrong (billing) name attached to it. 

3 - For the Customer who is buying someone a gift in your store: the customer will see the wrong name with gift address when they are returned to your confirm page, and they will try to fix the problem by using the Back button on the confirm page.  This will restart the PP Express routine, ultimately leaving the customer in an infinite loop of "wrong address-go back-do paypal again-get wrong address-go back-do paypal again" etc.  Obviously, the customer will abandon the transaction, and you lose a sale because AbanteCart does not work. 

3 - AC has fields for Billing address and Shipping address.  These fields are displayed on the Confirm page.  When a PP Express customer chooses a "gift" address on PP, AC is populating BOTH the billing and shipping address fields with the incorrect combination of billing name + gift shipping address. 

3a - At a bare minimum, AC should be showing Gift Shipping name with Gift Shipping address in the fields.  At least then you have a better chance that the customer will click confirm to complete the transaction because the correct shipping address is being shown; BUT, they still might not click confirm because they don't like the fact that the gift recipient's NAME and ADDRESS are now showing in both the BILLING and SHIPPING address fields on the AC confirm page.  Because they might worry that the gift reciepient is going to receive some kind of invoice or receipt for the transaction, which gift givers do not want.  The reason they might think this is because ABANTECART IS SAYING THAT THE BILLING AND SHIPPING ADDRESS ARE BOTH THE GIFT RECIPIENT'S ADDRESS.

3b - The best solution would be if AbanteCart worked properly with PayPal, meaning that whenever a PayPal customer chose a different shipping address on their PP page, the PP API would transmit correct billing and shipping data back to AC, and AC would show that data correctly on the Confirm page. 

3c - If AbanteCart cannot work properly with Paypal to distinguish between and properly display billing vs shipping address data for PP transactions where the customer selects a different shipping address, then the least that AbanteCart should be able to do is NOT SHOW a Billing address on the Confirm page at the conclusion of a PayPal transaction.

Thx. 
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 12:04:32 AM by Geoffrey »

Offline mofind

• View Profile
Re: PayPal Express Bug
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 12:18:28 PM »
I am having the same issue described here. One of my customers contacted me about it, otherwise I doubt I would have known and would just have had an abandoned cart.

I see this post is from 2017. Has there been no resolution to this issue since then?

I am currently only using PayPal Express in my store. Should I use a different payment module instead that does not have this or other issues? Recommendations? I am primarily selling to Americans.

Thank you in advance.

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:21:34 AM »
If you dont want to allow PayPal change address try paypal standard

Offline mofind

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 11:17:37 AM »
Thank you for your response. I have made the change to paypal standard and it seems to have resolved that issue. It is disappointing that Paypal express can't work properly.  I liked its other features.