Please help us to make AbanteCart Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution for everyone.

Support AbanteCart eCommerce

Author Topic: How to dynamically show categories based upon whether they contain products  (Read 3944 times)

Offline dharding

• View Profile
Not sure if this is possible or how complex it would be to implement. If this feature already exists, my apologies but I did not find the appropriate settings in Admin.

Rather than displaying categories in menus, the site map, etc., based upon a manual setting in Admin, it would be great to be able to show/hide categories and subcategories dynamically based upon whether there are in-stock products assigned to them.

This would make managing storefront display much easier, as when a category gets sold out, it simply disappears from the store front until such time an active in-stock product is assigned or re-assigned to that category.

Thank you.

Offline eCommerce Core

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There is no such setting or feature to disable category based on products stock status.

I see 1 problem with this approach. If you care about SEO, this will affect your product/category search in the search engines if a product stock will change with long intervals.

This feature can be added easily with extra check in the data model. This check can validate for categories with present products in them and only show categories with available products.

You can use "No stock auto disable" to turn products off automatically.

“If you’re in the luckiest one per cent of humanity, you owe it to the rest of humanity to think about the other 99 per cent.”
― Warren Buffett

Offline dharding

• View Profile
Thank you for the reply. I already have individual products set to auto-disable; it's the category visibility I wish to be able to control automatically.

SEO is not overly important to me, as the majority of traffic to the storefront will be sent from specific websites. I'm not relying on organic traffic; any organic traffic is a bonus.

Offline abantecart

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Ideal Open Source Ecommerce Solution
We can consider this for upcoming versions.
Please  rate your experience or leave your review
We need your help to build better free open source ecommerce platform for everyone. See how you can help