Author Topic: Two Cloning queries...  (Read 4333 times)

Offline donthecat

• You aint Cool if you aint Green...
    • View Profile
Two Cloning queries...
« on: November 27, 2017, 03:57:15 PM »
Hi,

What's the basic difference between  "Clone to Extension" and "Clone to Core Template ?

After Cloning, in Blocks, is it normal for all Templates' Blocks to be visible ? (Screenshot attached)

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 04:44:43 PM by donthecat »
You aint Cool if you aint Green...

Save Earth ! It's the Only Planet with Chocolates !!

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
Re: Two Cloning queries...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 04:24:48 AM »
What's the basic difference between  "Clone to Extension" and "Clone to Core Template ?
Difference in destination of clone. "Core Template" will be placed inside storefront/view folder. "Extension" - inside extension directory.

After Cloning, in Blocks, is it normal for all Templates' Blocks to be visible ? (Screenshot attached)

what means "visible"? Status?
On you screenshot you have custom banner blocks. Some block assigned into layout and it have status button. Other blocks just orphans (without statuses)
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline donthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 02:24:52 PM »
Difference in destination of clone. "Core Template" will be placed inside storefront/view folder. "Extension" - inside extension directory.

Got that abalabo, just curious as to why the two options... what's are the advantages/differences in each ?

On you screenshot you have custom banner blocks. Some block assigned into layout and it have status button. Other blocks just orphans (without statuses)
I have the default template and the one I cloned... if you see my screenshot, you will find 4 Main Banner Blocks.. 2 showing as ON and 2 Inactive... I presume that the Inactive ones pertain to the unused template. But why two ?

Offline abolabo

• core-developer
  • Administrator
  • web for all, all for web!
    • View Profile
    • AbanteCart
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 06:05:30 AM »
But why two ?
Because it's a custom blocks. Each custom blocks use generic as pattern. For example html_block. You have it as generic but you cannot to use it in layout. You should to create custom html block and paste some html-content into it.
You can have a lot of you custom blocks in layout and all of them use html_block as "parent". Another words : custom blocks are descriptions of html-block. We had decided never delete and change it during block-management operations.
Main difference between generic and custom block is adding to database. You cannot to add generic block via admin.
The same approach with form-blocks etc.
So you should to enable, disable, adds and delete all custom blocks manually.
“No one is useless in this world who lightens the burdens of another.”
― Charles Dickens

Offline donthecat

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 03:39:22 PM »
I'm reopening my query cos I've been working on AbanteCart for the past 5 months and sorta getting the hang of it .... :-)

I'm attaching the screenshots of my Blocks...

My queries
  • How did so many Blocks get created on the same day ? (Probably the DoI)
  • While I get a gist of what Abalabo said, I still not able to figure out why there are 4 of each ? All of them have the same content
  • Were they created automatically or did I create them?
  • If I delete 3 of them, would it matter? and how will I know which ones to delete ?

Many Thanks for the anticipated responses...

Offline Basara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 01:39:44 AM »
Hi.
Blocks are parts of template layouts pages. If you clone or install templates which have blocks with same names you will get "duplicates".